[OFFICIAL] Froyo to push starting Feb. 24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
@all, Now its your turn... Have fun!

Feel free to stop by the Samsung Epic 4g section and read up on some of the bugs, problems and fixes so you have a heads up on what you could possibly be in for..

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
If I'm rooted, do I need to unroot in order to apply the Froyo update?

If you're on a custom/leaked ROM, you need to Odin back to stock. If you're just rooted, either unroot or wait for a rooted version to be released.by the devs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jess.hickey

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
So this is going to be 2.2 and not 2.2.1 I take it...wonder if its worth bothering with, or just go ahead and flash a 2.2.1 rom? I'm assuming the just released cognition 4.0 is 2.2.1..not sure tho

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
So this is going to be 2.2 and not 2.2.1 I take it...wonder if its worth bothering with, or just go ahead and flash a 2.2.1 rom? I'm assuming the just released cognition 4.0 is 2.2.1..not sure tho

This is probably going to be it for awhile on the official Froyo upgrades. Be thankful Sammy is getting it out to everyone finally. Unless there is some major bugs which I'm sure they would have rejected the release, you won't see anymore official Froyo updates for a while or possibly never (don't quote me there).

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I am also wanting to know if I need to unroot before this update. Patience, I am brand new.

I would believe the same rule would apply for you as it did with us on the Epic 4g.

- If you have removed any AT & T bloatware or Sammy bloatware then you wouldn't receive the OTA update.

- Installed unofficial ROMs you will not receive the OTA notice.

- 3rd party apps installed from the Market are okay.

So if your rooted for the purpose of tethering or use of rooted applications then you should be okay as long as you meet the above requirements.

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site

Cognition 4 is based on the KB1 release, so it is 2.2 and not 2.2.1.

Hey Phil, any word on if this will be OTA like the Epic, or through Kies (gag) like the Vibrant?

Based on the Samsung webpage that was only up for a short time explaining how to get Froyo on the Captivate, it looks like this will be through Kies only. ATT may change its mind though - not sure...

stew1411

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
what would you suggest I do? I am currently running di11i v5.4 and love it. But the battery life is horrible. I can use 70% in 5 hours. Should I leave it with a custom rom or update to official froyo? I dont have a problem with stock. The only thing I dont like is touchwiz and I can always find the stock launcher and install it.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
what would you suggest I do? I am currently running di11i v5.4 and love it. But the battery life is horrible. I can use 70% in 5 hours. Should I leave it with a custom rom or update to official froyo? I dont have a problem with stock. The only thing I dont like is touchwiz and I can always find the stock launcher and install it.

Try it out, and see what you like better. I can't see a stock ROM being better than a.custom ROM, but maybe it will be for you.

stew1411

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Another question is, will this update implement full use of the 512mb of ram? I'm using di11i and it only has access to 339mb. The phone is blazing fast, its just something I have been wondering. Also, the last question was do you think stock will make the battery life better than di11i? I went from 100% charge to 31% in just 5 hours. I have seen some people on here with their custom roms getting only using 30% of battery in 12 hours.

jpra923

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
If i've installed Cognition v3.04, and update to 2.2, should I still try and get this update?

Sorry for the noob question in advance. Just starting to get into the android world.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles