Captivate Official Froyo (2.2) features

coldguy

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
No Stay Awake on USB, Voice Action lacking

I'm very disapointed that they removed "Stay Awake on USB" from the settings/applications/development menu. I had this turned on in 2.1 to keep the screen on while using music player or google maps while plugged in during driving. It was a godsend when I found it, since it is very hard to quickly check traffic on googlemaps or skip music tracks when the screen keeps timing out. There is car mode, but there are other apps I'd like to keep awake while driving that aren't available in car mode.

The Voice Action feature is late in coming, since other platforms have had this for a while, and I can't believe it doesn't go to the music player for the "listen to" command. And the lame excuse from google that the devs of the default music player haven't integrated voice action yet...WTF? Aren't they working for google? And no BT voice dialing, when my 4 year old BBerry and 6 year old ericsson had it? Bull****!

I guess I'll just have to start complaining about the wait for 2.2.1! Hell with that! Where's Gingerbread already? I'm prolly gonna flash a rom, or I'll never be able to connect a wiimote to my captivate, along with the other BASIC FEATURES I've lost with the update, err, downgrade.

Loren

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Where are you getting this info from?

The link I posted which as I said is a link on the Samsung page containing the Kies mini download and the instructions for upgrading a Captivate to Froyo clearly states Bluetooth voice dialing is a feature of Froyo 2.2.
Did you read the New Features Samsung posted here.
I think they would have mentioned it if it was available.

I have tried with two different bluetooth devices (even after unpairing and re-pairing) and bluetooth dialing does not work on this version. At least not on my phone.

Reactions: JackImageX

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
That is the web page the link I posted is on.

First sentence under "Android Froyo 2.2 Information For The Captivate"

From the link I posted:

Bluetooth

* Voice dialing over Bluetooth
* Ability to share contacts with other phones
* Support for Bluetooth enabled car and desk docks
* Improved compatibility matrix with car kits and headsets

Loren

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
That is the Google Developers page NOT Samsung or AT&T.
Samsung nor AT&T have to add all the features Google offers.
The page I linked to is what Samsung says.

But don't believe me - try it - does it work?
If it does then please tell the rest of us how to make it work (and I will then stand corrected).

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I haven't tried it yet but since you & others have I'm sure it doesn't work.

The web page link I posted stating 2.2 does have BT voice dialing has a link on the Samsung Kies mini download/Captivate update instructions to download Froyo web page. As I pasted, in the BT info it clearly states 2.2 has BT voice dial. Doesn't even mention 2.2.1, seems AT&T and/or Samsung dropped the ball again. Very disappointing for such an important feature.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
This stock 2.2 definitely doesn't have BT voice dialing so no reason to beat a dead horse. But I was hoping I could get BT to work with Vlingo, but no go for me..anybody else?

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm very disapointed that they removed "Stay Awake on USB" from the settings/applications/development menu. I had this turned on in 2.1 to keep the screen on while using music player or google maps while plugged in during driving. It was a godsend when I found it, since it is very hard to quickly check traffic on googlemaps or skip music tracks when the screen keeps timing out. There is car mode, but there are other apps I'd like to keep awake while driving that aren't available in car mode.

The Voice Action feature is late in coming, since other platforms have had this for a while, and I can't believe it doesn't go to the music player for the "listen to" command. And the lame excuse from google that the devs of the default music player haven't integrated voice action yet...WTF? Aren't they working for google? And no BT voice dialing, when my 4 year old BBerry and 6 year old ericsson had it? Bull****!

I guess I'll just have to start complaining about the wait for 2.2.1! Hell with that! Where's Gingerbread already? I'm prolly gonna flash a rom, or I'll never be able to connect a wiimote to my captivate, along with the other BASIC FEATURES I've lost with the update, err, downgrade.

I use something called "screen on widget" to toggle the screen staying on/off for those situations like google maps

Reactions: coldguy

G.murph

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else having problems with battery life? With 2.1 I could use the whole day and still have about 40% left. I fully charged my phone 31 minutes ago (only sent one text) and the battery is already down to 92%. Last night after about 2 hours I was down in the 50% range. Nothing is running in the background.

Also, I like all the features and changes, but it bugs me for some reason that they took away the shadow effect in the messaging app (under the bar with the name/picture, above the text bubbles). It seems incomplete without it. That, and I can no longer swipe back into the threaded conversation after clicking on a specific text. I have to hit back. No big deal, I just wonder why that was changed.

coldguy

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I use something called "screen on widget" to toggle the screen staying on/off for those situations like google maps

Thanks. I got the screen on widget, and the app with the same name (different dev), and the app has the feature I want. You can put any app and many actions (including charging on usb) in a list and the app will keep the screen awake while that app or state is active. When the app closes, the screen returns to its normal timeout.

So its a fine work-around, for a feature that used to be there.

yogirl#AC

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
The strangest thing happened with my 2.2, the updated Android Market that came with updating has now suddenly reverted back to the version I had with 2.1. It is weird.

NJSailor

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
It is not ideal but you can use voice search for dialing (with and without Blue tooth.
Click Voice Search and say "Call " 'name as it appears in contacts'. If it gets a complete match it will give you a confirmation screen and after a few seconds dial the number.

Make sure your search settings (menu:settings:search:searchableitems) includes contacts and/or phone.
Graham

bobbyfg7

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm having all kinds of problems:
- Pictures don't show up on my contacts after adding my facebook account and syncing contacts
- I can't edit those contacts to add my own pics even if I wanted to
- Battery life is HORRIBLE
- Phone constantly runs hot even in idle
- Turned itself off for the first time since I bought it (I had heard that it was happening but never had the problem before I updated)
- Silent toggle in notification is actually vibrate
- Much more laggy
- My GPS is actually worse (go figure right; I WAS one of the few that didn't have any problems)
- Wifi toggle will just randomly stop working

Not to mention, when I did the update, it never came back up after the reboot. Had to go into recovery mode and wipe everything before it would work. I hope there are simple solutions to all these woes. Maybe rooting will help? But if anyone knows what I might be doing wrong, especially with my contacts, please help me out.

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok been using the update for 4 days. I like that swype has the microphone. My email is loading faster.internet is faster and has flash. My battery its only lasting 4 hours. I now have an icon next to the 3g. looks like the one you have when sync is on. I also have this icon in my email accounts. Cant get rid of it and I wonder if this is what is killing my battery . My address book is all screwed up, I can't move my contacts to different groups. Either from my google address book our the phone contact.
Now voice dial and bluetooth. I was told that I can sign up with att to use it for 6.99 a month or something like that. Was told they added this service about 6 months ago? Maybe that'd why they refuse to install the ability on the phone.

Last edited:

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Today was the worst my battery only lasted 3 hours. Mild internet use and 3 sms messages to my wife. Then using the calculator for 20 minutes on and off. Not one phone call and showing someone a couple of pictures. My battery went from a full charge at 6am to yellow to a yellow bar by 10am. az A az
I put it on a charger and then after a full charge used the google nav and within 15 min out was down 3/4. I am not a happy camper to say the least. I only have wifi analyzer, gps test, star translate, docs to go free, android zip file. I also have titanium backup and ROM manager. I used captivate one click root.
Now those are the same programs I had and was rooted before with the voodoo lag fix prior to the upgrade. The only new programs are the adobe flash and I wonder if that could be causing a battery drain.
I'm going to drain the battery completely and see if recharging it makes a difference. I also still have the icon that looks like an indication that it's sync mode but I have all the background data disabled.
Just typing this and my battery went from full to half in the time I logged into the site this sucks.

JackImageX

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Since the update, can't connect to wifi at home. anyone else with this problem ?

I do not have this problem. In fact, finally, I can connect to many public wireless access points that have acknowledgement pages that you have to click through. This was a problem before.

JackImageX

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Just typing this and my battery went from full to half in the time I logged into the site this sucks.

You might have a bad battery or you have some type of app or service that's running and sucking up your battery.

I've found there's all sorts of (cr)apps that start up automatically that I don't even use. I use "Startup Cleaner" which is in the app store. It lets you prevent apps from starting on boot that might be running in the background causing you problems.

Also, look into bump charging your phone (there's a forum post on this - I don't have the link readily available). That should reset your battery. When my battery gets goofy, I do this and things tend to last well.

Finally, one of the new options is to turn off the data network (if you long hold the start button, you'll see this). Turn off your data network if you aren't using it for a long period of time. Also, don't keep your bluetooth and WiFi on if you aren't using them. They're constantly looking for connections and that sucks up the battery.

I hope this helps.

gstreff

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Market Apps after 2.2 update

Have not gone through and updated my Captivate to 2.2 yet. Wondering are all the Apps I downloaded and installed from the Market supposed to be left alone and still installed and working after the update?? Read somewhere else that the update wipes out your Widgets?? Any experience with that? Does that mean I simply would have to reload or replace the widgets I want on the screens where they were?? :-\

quick49

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Froyo 2.2 Update Experience

I updated my Captivate to 2.2 from 2.1 update1 with the expectation that I would be able to use My Backup App and Media Restore, but I learned that my Captivate had to be rooted for the restore to work. I tried several root procedures, but none worked. So, I manually re-installed all of my applications and transferred my Media (photos & videos) with my microSD card. It is suggested that you re-install your applications to make sure that you get the latest updates for 2.2.

So far, I have not experienced the problems discussed related to battery life and contact problems. I transferred my contacts via Export to microSD card and used Import place them back into 2.2 Contact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda6969