Captivate Official Froyo (2.2) features

JackImageX

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
What are the new features you are noticing in Froyo?

So far, I've noticed:

Mail (Exchange) - the lock policy that my mail admins put on me now allows me to use the pin pad or the keyboard. This is a great step because the keyboard was starting to annoy me.

3G Data - finally, you can turn your data off easily. Just hold the power button down and choose "Data Network Mode" and you turn off data (which is a good battery saver).

Tethering (mobile access point) - if you pay $60. No thanks.

VPN - was this there before?

I'm hoping to see more features with bluetooth dialing. I hope to test that on the drive home tonight.

EDIT - I should say, "Official" Froyo. I know many unofficial firmwares have quite a few features the Official Froyo won't have.

JackImageX

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
what about BT voice dialing, are people seeing that?

I'm going to test it in a few minutes.

EDIT: So, I tried to test on my way home with Toyota's bluetooth. No dice. Before, it would just dial the last person I called. Now, it doesn't dial anything at all.

Last edited:

PhilHSurtees

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
No bt dialing for me either, and that is something 2.2 was supposed to give us. Any ideas? I removed and re-paired my bt set in the hope that it would fix it, but no luck.

Jayblodg

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
No BT Voice Dial and other Disappointments

I had no luck with the bluetooth voice dialing either. My quickoffice app also didn't install correctly and I had no way of fixing it other than resetting, which I did, and it fixed it, but that's a whole other story. I went to the AT&T store just down from my office and asked them about it. The folks in there were nice but they didn't even know the update had come out yesterday. The rep who was helping me suggested we call Samsung so we did. While waiting for somebody to answer our questions I paired my bluetooth headset my the new Motorola Atrix and upon pressing the button on my headset I hear a nice female voice say "Please say a command". After asking the rep at Samsung about the bluetooth he looked it up an told me that was not a feature included in the update. I thought it was a basic feature of Froyo in general. Perhaps I'm wrong on that. I helped somebody at my office who just bought T-Mobile's Galaxy S 4G with 2.2 and there is actually an app on her phone called "Voice Dialer". What's the deal? Anybody noticing any improvements with their GPS? Mine doesn't seem to be much different. I do have to say, the phone does feel a little bit snappier, but I'd really like BT Voice dial. I can't be fumbling with my phone while I'm driving down the road! With how long this update took to come out I am disappointed on the quality I've experienced.

MrLee

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Some observation I've made with the Froyo 2.2 so far:

Screen Brightness:
Previously, we just swipe at the upper screen to change the brightness. Now, I have to swipe and hold for a second before the change registers.

Music Player controls:
Using the stock earphones, I can now double-press the earphones button to skip to next song. Previously, I could only pause/play track.

Not sure how to categorize these, as they're supposedly in other Froyo builds from other handsets.

1. Now the camera automatically turns on GPS (geo-tagging). Only way to turn that off is to disable GPS AND wireless-location together.

2. In the notifcation bar, [Silent] is vibrate mode. Since I have ExtendedControls, I use that widget to toggle silent and vibrate mode seperately.

liquid64

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
What is everyone's experience with the "Full Charge" notification? It looks like it is using the default audio alert for my phone, which is better than that high pitch "Beep, Beep" sound, but it looks like it kicks the LCD screen on, and never goes off. At least, it didn't go off in the five minutes or so that I waited for it to. It may use the screen timeout value, under display, which I have set a bit longer than default. I will have to see what it does tonight.

jbrook

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Another bonus I noticed is that contacts from Gmail now sync properly with the groups AND you can assign individual ring tones to them!

SlappyMcgee

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
You and me both. That is one thing that shocked me when I got my Captivate on release day. I couldnt believe my 6 year old cheap flip phone had BT voice dialing but a high end smart phone didn't.

I really hope samsung gives use at least 2.2.1 update

GQ50

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
^^^Right..I now know it wasn't ATT holding up froyo. If I had to download through KIES and no notification from my carrier this was available, who else but Sammy? 9 month old OS. So 2.2.1 or 2.2.3, I'm not holding my breath for..

BTW...is anyone running Launcher Pro? Its not allowing me to apply it.

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
^^^Right..I now know it wasn't ATT holding up froyo. If I had to download through KIES and no notification from my carrier this was available, who else but Sammy? 9 month old OS. So 2.2.1 or 2.2.3, I'm not holding my breath for..

BTW...is anyone running Launcher Pro? Its not allowing me to apply it.

Launcher Pro plus working fine for me.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
2.2.1 includes voice dialing -- we just got 2.2.

Where are you getting this info from?

The link I posted which as I said is a link on the Samsung page containing the Kies mini download and the instructions for upgrading a Captivate to Froyo clearly states Bluetooth voice dialing is a feature of Froyo 2.2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome