Captivate Desktop Dock, NO LINE OUT WITH FROYO

silverdemon

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
i see the same thing, it was one of the reasons i loaded the official release from samsung. this makes me want to flash Cognition back on the phone as i prefer that UI

atlkr5

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm Still Pissed about this.

Anyone see this changing or have a fix for it?

My only other complaint is the amount of 3rd party accessories, that is why I bought the desktop cradle.

Basically it is a nice way to charge my phone, even the way it sits in the cradle you can not get to the 3mm jack on the phone.

anyway, the atrix, inspire and iPhone5 are calling my name.

Bump

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
There are work-arounds. This is the same as this issue here-

Audio out through USB (car/home dock) - xda-developers

Since you are on stock, try this first-

Connect to the dock, and open (if it does not auto) your desk dock app. On there, you will see the speaker icon. Tap it so it is strike-through... normally you would call this mute. Erase MUTE in your brain, and insert LINE-OUT. Then try playing music.

For the car dock, which is the same problem, there was additional steps for it work ideal. You may need to do something similar for the desk dock.

We had to have more than one car dock app installed, so when you docked it would prompt which one you wanted as the default. DO NOT SELECT A DEFAULT... if you do, your home button gets owned, and you cannot leave the app running to support any audio you wish, just one of the limited buttons in the dock app.

So, I would flash the google car home AND the stock car home from the Rogers Froyo release, and not choose one as the default. When docked, I would choose the Rogers one, and then hit the HOME key to drop back to normal home screens. After doing the lineout step above, it should all work.

I do not have the desk dock, so I cannot tell you which desk dock apps to use for this hokey-pokey. So long as your phone brings up A desk dock app now, you need to get another installed so it will prompt you... it does not matter what this other one really is as you will never use it.

Try that out, or rotate the phone around and do not use the plugin adapter and connect both USB and AUX... probably what you are doing now.

silverdemon

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Connect to the dock, and open (if it does not auto) your desk dock app. On there, you will see the speaker icon. Tap it so it is strike-through... normally you would call this mute. Erase MUTE in your brain, and insert LINE-OUT. Then try playing music.

For the car dock, which is the same problem, there was additional steps for it work ideal. You may need to do something similar for the desk dock.

We had to have more than one car dock app installed, so when you docked it would prompt which one you wanted as the default. DO NOT SELECT A DEFAULT... if you do, your home button gets owned, and you cannot leave the app running to support any audio you wish, just one of the limited buttons in the dock app.

So, I would flash the google car home AND the stock car home from the Rogers Froyo release, and not choose one as the default. When docked, I would choose the Rogers one, and then hit the HOME key to drop back to normal home screens. After doing the lineout step above, it should all work.

I do not have the desk dock, so I cannot tell you which desk dock apps to use for this hokey-pokey. So long as your phone brings up A desk dock app now, you need to get another installed so it will prompt you... it does not matter what this other one really is as you will never use it.

Try that out, or rotate the phone around and do not use the plugin adapter and connect both USB and AUX... probably what you are doing now.

This works on my phone running the stock 2.2 from att and the samsung desk dock application.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
This works on my phone running the stock 2.2 from att and the samsung desk dock application.

It is that line-out thing... why they used the UNIVERSAL symbol for MUTE as the LINE-OUT indicator is an epic fail.

Can you ditch back out to your normal home, and run say, Pandora? Or are you limited to using the buttons on the desk dock?

atlkr5

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site

THANKS A BUNCH!!!!! I will give it a try.

silverdemon

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
It is that line-out thing... why they used the UNIVERSAL symbol for MUTE as the LINE-OUT indicator is an epic fail.

Can you ditch back out to your normal home, and run say, Pandora? Or are you limited to using the buttons on the desk dock?

you can use other applications but you cannot exit the dock interface by pressing the exit button. once you exit the line out stops working and it revers to the internal speaker.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
you can use other applications but you cannot exit the dock interface by pressing the exit button. once you exit the line out stops working and it revers to the internal speaker.

This is why for the car dock, we installed an additional Dock application, and did NOT choose a default. Then your HOME key would work as normal, without closing the dock app, giving you sound for any app, anywhere.

Xcal wrote an app to handle this and make it easier. Might be worth a try if you know how to use the Wonder Machine (if stock).

xda-developers - View Single Post - Audio out through USB (car/home dock)

silverdemon

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
gotta say i am really disappointed with the sound quality of the dock. i am normally not able to tell the difference in sound quality but the dock sounds terrible with the same head phones i am use when connected directly to the phone. I am really starting to regret my purchase of the dock.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
You are missing something then. The no-bass issue is resolved by either using the app linked to above, OR making sure you are not closing the desk home app. Without one of those methods, the audio is being piped through the same filters that your phone speaker does, and it strips out the frequencies that would cause feedback. The app, or a compatible Desk Home, should resolve it.

You could also try to manually fix it with something Galaxy Tuner (gives you access to internal EQ), but I was only ever able to make it "better", not the way it should be. You need to use that app...

silverdemon

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
You are missing something then. The no-bass issue is resolved by either using the app linked to above, OR making sure you are not closing the desk home app. Without one of those methods, the audio is being piped through the same filters that your phone speaker does, and it strips out the frequencies that would cause feedback. The app, or a compatible Desk Home, should resolve it.

You could also try to manually fix it with something Galaxy Tuner (gives you access to internal EQ), but I was only ever able to make it "better", not the way it should be. You need to use that app...

i loaded the app from xda but it still seems crappy. I will just not use the dock for audio at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs