Captivate no longer rings with Froyo

Bmoe320

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I recently updates to Froyo and the ringer no longer seems to work on my Samsung Captivate. I use Ringo Pro and no problem until today. A brief sound is made, but no vibration or sound. Any thoughts?

Bmoe320

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Indeed, I tried the same with no result. I am hoping I don't have to do a fun reset. The signal is there, as my bluetooth still rings in the call, and it is visible on the screen, but even the vibrate is short and only one buzz before going ofline.

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Before you change any software settings, try removing the metal back (battery) cover, and pressing hard around the edge of the external speaker assembly. It's the little black rectangle (approx) above the sim-card. be careful not to push on the grille.

Hope this helps, consider pressing "thanks" button, it makes me smile.

AoN

rupertbarks

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I've had the same freakin' problem. I contacted Samsung and the only thing they would tell me was to do a complete hard reset. I'm worried that I'm going to lose my data, apps and my 7 screen customizations. I backup regularly using BackUp Pro. Can I trust this app to restore my apps, data etc.? Do I have to purchase the product again after the reset in order to retrieve my data? This is so frustrating.

Lisa

Asaroth2010

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
before you uninstall ringo or hard reset check settings in ringo, mine quit ringing and i bit the bullet and did the reset. reinstalled ringo and it quit ringing again!!! set it for ringing mode in ringo and it works fine, dont know if that was it but could't hurt to try

Bmoe320

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I finally got fed up and needed the phone to work so I did the hard reset, which is all that AT&T could come up with. Worked and took only a few hours to rebuild everything on the phone. I did notice that some of the apps that I was using were no longer available, and wonder if these had contributed to the issue. I do have a stable, apparently, 2,2 update running now and it rings.

BTW, I did try battery pull, reboots, and uninstalling Ringo. None of that made any difference.

Another interesting note, the phone was getting worse. It had been playing music and other sounds, then that also began to fail. Sounds like something got corrupted when I did the original software update if I was to venture a guess.

Reactions: Drew2873

bigbot45

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I've hard reset my phone 2wice post upgrade and this is still happening to me. Nothing but a restart seems to bring the ringtones back.

Drew2873

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
No sound during Incoming Call

did the battery pull, didn't work still not ringing. checked every setting. still no joy

I have tried everything from pressing on the edge of the speaker, which is not the problem, obviously because I can listen to music anytime...to pulling the battery, sim, sd card for 15 min. I also tried doing a restore on my phone...Still having the problem. They seriously need to fix this.

Drew2873

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Captivate doesn't ring.

I have had the same problem with my Captivate, I took it to AT&T. They reset data to factory settings, which deletes all user data on the phone, including apps. The problem came from an app that I downloaded that was corrupted. The only way to fix the issue it to delete everything. If there are any apps that you want to keep, write them down. After you reset your phone, install an antivirus program. i use AVG Free edition. it runs in the back ground and it doesn't use much of your battery unless you stay on it. I listen to my music for a straight 12 hrs with it running, and still have battery left. Next, download and install 1 app, run the app, test your phone. wait a couple of days and download another one, if it's still ringing. Write down the date and what app you installed, so if it happens again..you'll know what not to download. Also I wouldn't use an ringer app. I hope this helps.:D