When I updated my Captivate to Froyo, I was excited about the wifi tethering option that is one of the features of Froyo. However, I was disappointed to find out that you had to pay AT&T in order for this feature to work. Is there a solution (preferably free) in the market, etc. that I can use instead of paying AT&T a monthly bill? (I have my phone rooted.)
    03-20-2011 12:44 PM
    I use PDAnet from the market for hardwire tether. Not sure if it will work on wifi. No root needed
    03-22-2011 01:21 PM
    I am not sure PDA net offers non-tether AP... but any custom ROM would. PDA net does offer tether access.
    03-22-2011 01:30 PM
    When I updated my Captivate to Froyo, I was excited about the wifi tethering option that is one of the features of Froyo. However, I was disappointed to find out that you had to pay AT&T in order for this feature to work. Is there a solution (preferably free) in the market, etc. that I can use instead of paying AT&T a monthly bill? (I have my phone rooted.)
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=968062
    03-22-2011 08:55 PM
    I can't find pdanet on the market. Any suggestions?
    03-24-2011 03:44 PM
    I can't find pdanet on the market. Any suggestions?
    That's because AT&T blocks it from the market. What you need to do is put your phone in airplane mode, turn on wifi and connect to a network, then go to the market and try again.
    Hope this helps.
    03-27-2011 12:18 PM
    you need to root your phone, and either flash a new rom i would recommend using serendipity it is 2.2 and comes with free wifi tethering or get an app called barnacle wifi teather.
    03-27-2011 06:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD