alltel to ATT just got captivate today in mail

musthavemuzk

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
i am an alltel customer and finally getting more info bit by bit for the merger to ATT. today my captivate arrived at my door. last week i got email saying it was shipped and a text saying to call x number if it didnt arrive by x date and that transition was planned for early may.
in the box a paper says to not turn it on or it could cause issues with activation.

i want to play with it and get things learned and so on so when the day comes for the transition i can run with it.

any info on how i can play with it and not have issues?

a friend suggested removing the SIM card might work.

i am not looking to root right now. i just want to use it and run through menus and so on.

TIA

Monty

Brazenabyss

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
From what I've heard you will have no problems turning it on. I'm up in Sioux Falls, SD and got mine a couple weeks ago. Turned it on, set up everything over wifi...no problems. It will have an error about the SIM card but just hit ok.

The main thing is to have it turned off the day before activation. You'll get another text or email a couple days before that says to keep it off.

We switch sometime mid-April I believe, but I talked to a guy doing some work for AT&T and he was saying it could get pushed back again until late May.

musthavemuzk

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
this makes me sooooooo happy.

i am still using my alltel contact from thief river falls, mn and last summer i moved to cedar rapids, ia. figured for now i would keep alltel and use vzw towers while here. and when the time came i would try att and android for free and then make the call to stick with att and get a new contract(out of contract now since august) and keep captivate or get something else. but would try both free.
if i am not liking att and or android then i would decide to stay or go to vzw where alot of my fam and friends are at..

i know i could just suck it up and pull sim and take whatever happens, but i was hoping for someone else to have some thoughts and input on this. i have read in here that some ppl are buying used androids to replace ipod touches or other mp3 players and do just fine with no sim card. just use wifi for things.
now to set up android market account and finish reading the literature that came with captivate.

Thanx again!

Monty

musthavemuzk

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
i pulled the SIM card on mine about lunch and then tossed the charger on it and let it charge for 4hrs as per manual.
after supper i sat down with it and started playing.
i had setup appbrain while it was charging so i could have apps ready as i have spent the last cpl months doing some reading around the web for apps.
some can go on SD card, but i do not have one for it right now. i was gonna use the one from my 9630 BB.

so far things are going good.
i am liking the chance to get some play time with it so when it does go live i am ready. or at least more ready.

Monty