Android basics and the Captivate

sperson

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I have spent the evening searching the forums for clues on several issues with the AT&T android Captivate phone. This is after a five-hour session with AT&T and then Samsung, where a friend ran interference so I would not get too frustrated to deal.

I have learned that what I thought I knew my phone can do, and how it can work, are mostly wrong. For example, at one point, as instructed, I/we hooked up the phone to my pc, in order to back up files and install Froyo -- yes, I can sort of keep the upgrades in order {Froyo is android 2.2}.

<<but I have no idea how to back up APPs>>

I had connected the Captivate to the pc before, to transfer some files, and did get some help with that specific issue. This time, though, the troubleshooter on the phone seemed to expect me/us to *see* something on my computer, that would pop up immediately. When it didn't she started to get that tone of "what idiot am I talking to, that can't see something right in front of her face!?" Well, we got past that, when my friend pulled down the windowshade /pulled out the drawer [one does that by grabbing something at the top of the screen, where all the icons are, that are too small to see clearly, and pulling gently downward] There was a USB message about mounting the SD card, -- which was already mounted -- so we did that.

After that, we still didn't get the kind of message my friend or the AT&T rep expected. The troubleshooter asked if we had another computer. We did but it wasn't hooked up. We hooked up the (newer) netbook (XP, though), and it at least saw the the phone, and I could copy files from phone to the pc, in preparation for a backup.

All that time, and I still did not learn how to back up apps -- because the phone is demonically possessed and is ringing without an incoming call -- frequently at random times, but also when there's been a reset (by opening the phone, pulling out the battery for 10 seconds, putting it all back together again). Then it starts ringing and won't stop -- until I grant permissions only for Silent Mode, in Sound and Display / Settings.

So -- ATT sat on the FROYO update for aeons, and two weeks after releasing it, is telling me that the reasons for any phone problems are that I haven't updated. As if the problems jump into phones running 2.1 as soon as 2.2/Froyo is available to replace 2.1/Eclair. That happened several times during the hours we were in contact with AT&T helpers.

Two points: I still don't know what I am supposed to see when I connect the phone to my pc or netbook. My friend showed me that on her 'intelligent' as opposed to 'smart' phone, she got a message on her phone giving three options -- one of them being copy (or backup) files.

The initial problem was the phone going completely off the network (when I was relying on it for a ride home). Got home, got friend's phone, my phone, and two computers -- laptop and netbook -- and started the troubleshooting process partly described above.

Of use to forum readers like me, an old hand at forums and their etiquette, would be material that breaks down the newness and differentness of the *phone*, more than the behavior expected of "noobs."

Admittedly, I jumped from a Windows Mobile 5.0 pda with a 4.3 " screen to an android phone with a 4.0" screen, when my Nokia dumb phone committed suicide by H2) (;-), with a Nokia dumb cell phone for the most recent five years. On the other hand, I have dealt with mainframe, mini, and home computers for a long time, and recognize that there is usually a rational plan behind electronics. It may not be immediately apparent, but it's there.

Lots of late night ruminations and storytelling, yes, as a way of saying this:

There needs to be a "relative newcomers" subforum, for people who are lost with mentions of Odin and rooting and other esoterica. Or even ordinary app questions like using the GPS capabilities -- unless it's brand new and the reason for getting the phone.

One of the needs in this forum would be definitions as stickies, so one could skip all those ?? topic lines on Rooting, knowing that in a long day, there isn't time to challenge oneself with reading those posts, as important as the discussions are. Maybe later, after mastering the Captivate as issued (or updated).

Someone who is coming to the Android from the iPhone can probably move on very fast from such a forum, while those who were dropped from Sprint because they called tech support too often, about their merely "intelligent" phones would need to hang around for longer.

Good posts, in addition to terms and definitions, might be rundowns of the functions on various screens, and repetition of "menu" plus an alternative cue term, for that almost invisible and unexpected addition to almost anything on the phone, that doesn't actually tell you in plain language what it will do for you -- so why go back to it, or remember its name?

Another type of post might be "what is supposed to happen when I . . . ?" andswers or questions.

There's always press an entry, and see what happens. Which is a good idea for ending this very long post.

Oh, yes, and how do I back up my *apps*?

Thanks in advance,
SPerson

konazxiii

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Other options:
MyBackup Root
Backup Everything

Make sure after backing up the the files are copied to you computer or externals (removable) SD.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi SPerson! Welcome to the forums!

I'll start with the app backup thing: The only way to backup your apps is by rooting your device and using Titanium Backup, like fldude99 suggested.. If you just want to back up a list of apps so you can install them fresh without searching for them, you can use AppBrain.

When you connect your phone to your computer, you should get a USB notification. If you tap it, you'll be taken to a screen where you can enable mass storage mode. If this doesn't show up, go into your settings>applications>usb settings, and put it in "mass storage mode". Make sure you also have the correct drivers installed.

As for your suggestion, forum adivser milominderbinder wrote up a great guide for learning Android, located at the "New to Android" link in my sig. As for device specific stuff: Yes, some of it may vary by device, but not enough to justify rewriting the entire guide for each device. If you find something with the Captivate that differs greatly from that guide, just post it, and we'll make sure it gets covered. To be honest, most of us "experts" overlook a lot of basic stuff, because we're used to just knowing it. These forums are a very noob-friendly place, so if you have a question, post it and it should get answered.

I apologize if I misunderstood anything in your post (that happens a LOT :p). I hope this helps!

sperson

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi SPerson! Welcome to the forums!

I'll start with the app backup thing: The only way to backup your apps is by rooting your device and using Titanium Backup, like fldude99 suggested.. If you just want to back up a list of apps so you can install them fresh without searching for them, you can use AppBrain.

All my apps (thanks to AT&T) are on the Android Market -- er, or on Android Zoom -- is that the same thing?

When you connect your phone to your computer, you should get a USB notification. If you tap it, you'll be taken to a screen where you can enable mass storage mode. If this doesn't show up, go into your settings>applications>usb settings, and put it in "mass storage mode". Make sure you also have the correct drivers installed.
The correct drivers were *not* installed. Cost me a lot of hours to find that out and install them.

As for your suggestion, forum adivser milominderbinder wrote up a great guide for learning Android, located at the "New to Android" link in my sig.

I had seen your sig in browsing the Captivate forums, but the first line pointing to milominerbinder's "Manual" series of posts at first gave me the impression that was aimed only at people interested in rooting and other advanced topics.

As for device specific stuff: Yes, some of it may vary by device, but not enough to justify rewriting the entire guide for each device. If you find something with the Captivate that differs greatly from that guide, just post it, and we'll make sure it gets covered. To be honest, most of us "experts" overlook a lot of basic stuff, because we're used to just knowing it. These forums are a very noob-friendly place, so if you have a question, post it and it should get answered.

I'll do that. I saw a lot of differences in terminology and locations, as well as items I could not find, when I browsed the "Manual" with the Captivate in hand.

I apologize if I misunderstood anything in your post (that happens a LOT :p). I hope this helps!

It certainly did help. I now have a firm grasp of the multitasking possibilities of the Android, most of which I will never use. The thing is, though, that the steps and actions involved in multitasking apps are still ones I need on an occasional basis. And using the phone was the hardest to figure out. Craig's Manual helped a lot with that.

All the best,
SPerson

sperson

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Pretty long post there..short answer to your last question: Titanium Backup. They also have a "cloud" option now

Is it possible to restore them from the Android Market or Android Zoom?

Given the mechanical (?) problems so far with the particular Captivate I own, I don't think rooting is likely in the near future -- just hours and hours of corrections and improvements to the basic phone, so that it works as it should. That apparently will include Master Reset by the Samsung people. That's why I'm so anxious about backups.

Thanks,
SPerson

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
All my apps (thanks to AT&T) are on the Android Market -- er, or on Android Zoom -- is that the same thing?

Looks similar, so it should work.

The correct drivers were *not* installed. Cost me a lot of hours to find that out and install them.

I miss the days when phone software came on the mini cd. Made things easier.

I'll do that. I saw a lot of differences in terminology and locations, as well as items I could not find, when I browsed the "Manual" with the Captivate in hand.

This is a problem across Android, you get slight differences depending on manufacturer. Even after 6+ months of having my HTC Aria, there was still a slight learning curve when I got my Captivate, just getting used to the way Samsung did things. It can make things more fun if you like tinkering and learning about this stuff, but to a new user just looking for info, I can see how it can be frustrating.

It certainly did help. I now have a firm grasp of the multitasking possibilities of the Android, most of which I will never use. The thing is, though, that the steps and actions involved in multitasking apps are still ones I need on an occasional basis. And using the phone was the hardest to figure out. Craig's Manual helped a lot with that.

All the best,
SPerson

He came from WebOS and it's awesome multitasking, so I'm not surprised the guide was full of that.

sperson

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
IS377,

Thanks for the additional information (and a little gossip).

Samsung never called back with the offer to reset this existing phone. I have done some backups, and am using Astro Pro for backing up to the sd card. If I can work it out, I'll also back up to the PC. If my exercise records make it through the process, though, I'll be amazed.
I do understand that compared to iOS and BB -- not to mention Windows Mobile (from my non-phone 2002 pda) -- the Android platform is a major step. To me, though, the AT&T Captivate is a major difference in working like any other (expected) Android. Correction for the advanced members: working like any other (expected, unrooted) Android.

Probably rooting allows one to tinker enough to get most phones fairly similar, and behaving to one's taste.

I have already lost an entire month that I needed for deadlines and work-at-home projects from a. learning the AC (Android Captivate) -- the basics; b. fixing the AC so it works as it should; and c. scouting the web to find out answers to a and b.

And my main use, since I'm at home, not usually out and about, is for a working phone that doesn't ring demonically at 12:07 am, with no way to shut it off, or at random other times. Now the AT&T store, who heard it perform its demonic random concert, told me I needed a new phone entirely, and that he would pray for the exorcism of my phone!

We'll see how it turns out.

All the best,
SPerson

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Did you buy it at AT&T? If you did, they should have replaced it on the spot.

Samsung insists on "fixing" phones, rather than just replacing it. Sucks because you're without your phone for about a week.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
The market keeps track of all of your installed apps...paid and free, so you can reinstall them. You just lose the data that may be built into them

sperson

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Did you buy it at AT&T? If you did, they should have replaced it on the spot.

No, I bought it at Radio Shack. The AT&T store to which we were sent, to do a useless replacement of the SIM card, heard the demon ringing that doesn't announce a call, and said the phone should be replaced. How does that happen? I'll go back to Radio Shack, which is closer, and ask -- between the Shack and AT&T and Samsung, who actually *would* replace the phone (or upgrade it to an HTC Inspire)?

Samsung insists on "fixing" phones, rather than just replacing it. Sucks because you're without your phone for about a week.

Is that even with a flashed reset?

sperson

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
The market keeps track of all of your installed apps...paid and free, so you can reinstall them. You just lose the data that may be built into them

Yes, I just found this out, with Astro and Astro Pro. I haven't seen the Market offering to list my purchases, though maybe I haven't really tried. Maybe I should be happier about AT&T forcing us to use the Android Market, or to root (which I *am* unlikely to do for quite a while).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital