wont boot past ATT WORLD PHONE screen

blueluck77

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Help!!! My captivate wont boot past the ATT World Phone screen. I have tried taking the battery out several times and booting it again, but every time it stop on this same screen. Does anyone have a solution for this?

stew1411

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
You may have to reflash your phone using odin. Can you boot into download mode?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

blueluck77

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I will have to try this once I get home. I tried booting it into like i was going to root it, but it wouldnt let me. I will do odin once I get home.

blueluck77

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
You may have to reflash your phone using odin. Can you boot into download mode?

OK I can boot into download mode.I ran the odin 1 click back to factory settings. I got the PASS! message on the screen, whenever it reboots, it still sits at the AT&T World Phone screen. I guess now, if I send it into AT&T itll appear stock as all hell, right?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
OK I can boot into download mode.I ran the odin 1 click back to factory settings. I got the PASS! message on the screen, whenever it reboots, it still sits at the AT&T World Phone screen. I guess now, if I send it into AT&T itll appear stock as all hell, right?

what build number is your phone? Read the thread link I posted.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

blueluck77

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
what build number is your phone? Read the thread link I posted.

For the instructions to run Odin? Odin ran, says pass and everything else. Ive tried doing it several times and always comes up the same way. Im missing the specific thing youd like me to do on the link...

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
For the instructions to run Odin? Odin ran, says pass and everything else. Ive tried doing it several times and always comes up the same way. Im missing the specific thing youd like me to do on the link...

Under your battery, there's a four digit number, like 1010 or 1106 or something like that. What is it?

blueluck77

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Odd, that shouldn't be an issue then.

Try the other Odin method in that thread (post 7 I think). See if that works.

Before it happened, it was slowwwwww like taking 15 to be able to use the phone after restarting. It always worked fine for me, but once I gave it to my GF it stopped working slowly but surely, she always complained about the speed of the phone and I never understood why until I used her phone when I left my Inspire (best upgrade ever) at home. I dont know if its because I did the one click root Do you think this was some type of overclocking or something that caused it. I didnt intentionally overclock it. Any ideas?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Before it happened, it was slowwwwww like taking 15 to be able to use the phone after restarting. It always worked fine for me, but once I gave it to my GF it stopped working slowly but surely, she always complained about the speed of the phone and I never understood why until I used her phone when I left my Inspire (best upgrade ever) at home. I dont know if its because I did the one click root Do you think this was some type of overclocking or something that caused it. I didnt intentionally overclock it. Any ideas?

You shouldn't be able to unintentionally overclock it. Maybe there was a rouge app or something, or the OS just got corrupted. One click root shouldn't have done it.

stew1411

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Ive used one click root and never had a problem. Have you tried the full odin and not one click odin? Ive had odin one click semi brick my phone once. I used the full odin, and had it repartition everything, apply the pda.tar file, and the firmware and the phone has not had a problem since. Just a thought though.

blueluck77

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Check this out...

Took it to an AT&T store, explained that it wouldn't boot up. They tried to boot it, it wouldn't work...they gave me a map to the AT&T device support location, which was 10 minutes down the road here in Dallas. I walked in, explained what was happening, they verified it, they went in the back, came back out with another Captivate (with Froyo on it), and said have a nice day. So got the issue fixed, just never found out what the origin of the problem was. Either way...she's happy...so that makes me happy. :)

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Best solution. Check your build number again. I am curious what they gave you back. If you can get one of the newer builds, your options with the modems is better (seemingly).

ktman

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Well if it's any consolation others have had to return their phones as well due to unfixable situations.. I would imagine these things are not immune to hardware failure same as anything else in this disposable electronics world. Nothing is made with such controls or perfect parts and design to go forever. The best thing for a captivate is for it to breakdown within store exchange period such as yours did. Mine took a dive last week just within the store exchange period. Actually still have a few days left and then if anything goes wrong I'll have to deal with Samsung I assume. Personally I think they are a little prone to moist air/vapor. Didn't actually get mine wet but it fairly coincidental that the day after a night of pressure washing is when my usb froze up thinking something is always connected. Such caused the battery charging to not work properly and always show a lightening bolt even after flashing back to stock. It took much messing around with pulling battery and connecting usb to get Odin to have its way with it to put it back to 2.1.1 from froyo but it didn't matter.. port was still muffed up. I tried things like bending my connection cord and compressed air to see if cleaning would fix port but nope. Besides making sure the usb door is always closed and plugging in real careful like I am not sure what can be done to keep them in top shape. We have two of them in this household and we running them with plastic snap on type covers but they are not moisture proof type with screen and port openings. I worry now that even a swetty workout may break them... btw, It was the 1012 build and on official kb1 froyo which for me was laggy and never quite right.

ktman

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Best solution. Check your build number again. I am curious what they gave you back. If you can get one of the newer builds, your options with the modems is better (seemingly).

Which build, os, kernal, and modem you currently on and do you by chance have a list of them modem options as they apply to the various builds? Also I hear differing modems are known to work better or worse depending on your region...would be great to see a working list on that as well. Like what works best for Northern California where I am at?
I am torn between waiting for a stable Cog 4.3.1 without sleep death versus Serendipity. If going with a I9000 setup means possible future headaches in switching roms or incompatabilities then I am leary to go with it cause frankly the modding of my electronics tend to be a part time thing I need to relearn each time a mod is outlived by software app updates...i.e-trying to keep up with wii, nintendo DS, modem, charlie, etc. etc. modding can be overwhelming and sucks the joy out of loving technology :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc