Official Gingerbread Question

stew1411

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
OK, so now that Gingerbread has started to be pushed out in the UK, it SHOULD start here in the US, oh, a few months maybe. My question though is, Gingerbread has been ported to the Cappy through CM7. Looks pretty stock to me, from what I can tell. Will the official Gingerbread have TW added to it?

Reactions: melvinaury

konazxiii

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Official Samsung releases will always have TW, yes. Customs ROMs can remove/mod/eliminate TW, of course.

Other launchers/home replacements should be available through the market though.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
CM7 on our Captivates is not a perfect solution yet. It is pretty stable, very few OS issues. My issues with it are the battery life, and poor camera options. I find our camera to be superior as a point and shoot, and use it a lot. When I had CM 7, I stopped taking pics. The camera app is where you start getting FCs and the camera replacement apps suck as well, when compared to the stock Samsung camera.

I currently get less than half the battery life from it as well, though I did narrow to where some extra drain was coming from. The problem was still with CM7 not yet handling power management too well yet, which is understandable in a pre-beta release where they have yet to even look at it.

It is great for pre-beta status, which is what the devs still call it. It may not be for everyone yet. I have high hopes however, with the i9000 release. There is a long history and current capability through a re-oriented kernel, for Captivates to run i9000 just fine. Most of the custom ROMs are doing that now in fact.

Probably only days before there are ROMs for us running this. The other big win, if we are lucky, is if Samsung releases their source and drivers in such a way that would assist the CM7 guys in some of their remaining issues (mostly closed source drivers).

But I am excited enough over running a Samsung Gingerbread ROM. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool