Froyo's built-in screen capture

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I've seen a couple of threads that say Froyo has screen capture. Supposedly while holding the back button push the power button(one thread) or the home button(the other thread). Neither works for me. The annoying thing is it happened once by mistake and the Gallery screencapture directory has one cap. I suppose I could have fat fingered the home and back at the same time. Is there a secret to getting this working. I know there are apps, but this bugs me.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I know this works on the Epic, Fascinate, Charge, and Transform, but I've never heard of it working on the Cappy. There may be a secret way to get it to work though. Just keep pushing buttons :p

cyberranger

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I found this How to take Screenshot with Samsung Galaxy S without Rooting, no PC which says:

When you are in the specific screen which you desire to take Screenshot, Press the Back button in right bottom and hold it. While holding Back button now press Home button in the middle. You will hear a capture sound and in moment it will appear Screen captured. Save as image file

I'm on GR-12 (Gingerbread) and it does not work. Maybe it does on Froyo.

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yep, it does happen... I accidentally took a screen cap the other night and have no idea exactly how.

I was in the standard Facebook app and was trying to head back to my home screen. I think I pressed the Home and Back buttons and that's what did it. It made the shutter sound and said a notification at the bottom "Screen Capture Saved..." or something along those lines, and it made a new folder in the Gallery for "Screen Captures."

Any attempts I've had at duplicating produced nothing.

I'm using a Froyo Captivate no root, just straight up.

Here's the proof! My screen cap!
attachment.php

Attachments

• SC20110531-203115.png
    SC20110531-203115.png
    302.8 KB · Views: 379

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I press back-home and "ScreenCaptureService" shows up in Settings->Applications->Running Services. I'm thinking the key press is trying to work, but only gets it half right. It sounds like a timing issue, to me.

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I press back-home and "ScreenCaptureService" shows up in Settings->Applications->Running Services. I'm thinking the key press is trying to work, but only gets it half right. It sounds like a timing issue, to me.

Right you are. I didn't even think to check there for confirmation. Just killed the service and tried Back + Home and it started the service back up with a timer showing it just started. That's gotta be the button combination but it just doesn't work.

We're starting to figure this out now! :p

heykatiexcore

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I unintentionally screen cap at least a couple of times a day. I feel like it typically happens when I try to lock my screen. I've tried to duplicate the process with absolutely no success. Dumb.

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
On my Galaxy S2 I have to press the home button + power button at the same time and it works (no root required), thanks Samsung.

a6c1f855-1b8b-bcb7.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9100

FZDolfan

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude