For those with grandfathered data plans..

alkhemista

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Do you think AT&T will treat us with the same respect as they did for the iPhone 5 crowd?

Looking forward to purchasing a Note 2 but the thought of losing my unlimited data plan is making me cringe...

:'(

NickLippert

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I bought a new phone and extended my contract at the end of July and didn't have any problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I bought the SGSIII on June 21 and had no problem keeping unlimited. I did buy no commitment and not an upgrade.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
As long as you stay with a smartphone you can keep the unlimited data no matter which smartphone you choose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Do not worry. You will keep unlimited data if you choose. At least for the time being. As with everything, it may change but not anytime soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7

blopez24

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes ive kept my unlimited data on two upgrades now since the change.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

osirhc

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I've had my unlimited data plan since my first iPhone when the 3GS came out. I've upgraded every year since then and have been able to keep unlimited data, including the now unlimited LTE plan.

Sent from my LT28at using Android Central Forums

NickLippert

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I did mine in store, but when I went through the steps online it looked like it was going to keep my unlimited.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

mtucker

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
There is no reason you can't keep your unlimited data plan, but keep an eye on your plan for a week or so after you do the upgrade. I didn't have a problem when I bought my GSII from Best Buy, but when I bought my Note from Costco I noticed they put me on a limited data plan even though the Costco person said my plan was unlimited and would stay that way. You can get it back, but it is more of a hassle than it use to be. The ATT rep that I talked to (seemed knowledgeable about ATT plans and phones) said it used to be that they could just switch people back. Then they were told they needed to get their supervisors OK. Then ATT made it so they had to submit a request into "the system". It took two days for them to text me that the switch back to unlimited was approved. He said if you catch it quick it isn't a problem, but some people don't notice for months and after that long ATT won't put them back.

It seems like the problem is Costco related as a friend recently got a GS3 from Costco and the exact same thing happened (had to submit request and got approved a few days later). Bottom line.... watch your plan like a hawk for a week or so after upgrading to make sure nothing goes wrong.

Whoknowes

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
From my understanding NONE of us have unlimited data plans any more.... I thought they took us from unlimited to 3Gb and then after that we were limited to EDGE speed UNTIL our billing cycle rolled over to a new month. I was somewhat ticked since I pay for an unlimited data plan on the smart phone (30.00) and another 30.00 for the unlimited tethering data plan and still only have 3Gb of data allowed at 3G speed.... Ive been curious about how they will probably try to force me to change data plans when I get a Note II.... (still waiting for a 32Gb white).

Last edited:

NickLippert

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I have used over 2gb in the last week and no throttling. I'm about halfway through my billing cycle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

aclerk

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
i spoke with a rep the day i pre-ordered and she said that I would still be grandfathered in with unlimited with 4G, but the throttles will start at 5GB where it will drop to edge speed i think she said. better than my unlimited right now, where i get throttled at 3GB. so technically there are still people with "unlimited data plans" unlike sprint, that has true unlimited.

Micah07g

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
BEWARE! I picked up my Note 2 today and asked the sales rep at AT&T 4 different times! 4 times!!! If I was still under my grandfathered in unlimited data plan and every time he said YES. I go to double check my account this evening and HECK NO! I am no longer under the unlimited data plan. They have switched it to 3GB. Now on the phone with AT&T trying to correct this and they are telling me it will take up to 2 weeks. What the heck.... I give them money and they screw this up. This is ridiculous!

ocanyc

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
They should be able to correct this immediately. I'd ask for credit and all sorts of stuff for pain and suffering.

Also, at&t is in enough trouble to think of revoking grandfathered unlimited data plans. Only reason I'm staying with them still, and I'm sure there are many on the same boat.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2