Noob Question: Gmail syncing issues on the Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Madkatter

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello There!

I recently made the jump from the iPhone4 this past weekend and went with the SGn2 and I am very impressed (and a tad overwhelmed) with all the features and things you can do with this phone. However, my phone and gmail go hand in hand in my line of work and I need to be able to find/retrieve emails that no longer show up in my inbox so I used the All Mail label frequently on my previous phone. After attempting to search these forums and "googling it," I still haven't found a way to to sync the All Mail label using the gmail app and it doesn't give me the option to sync it under the manage labels setting. I am going to assume this is because of the shear amount of emails found under the All Mail label and I am OK with that but can someone confirm that it is not possible to sync the all mail label using the gmail app? Thanks!

Kat

aclerk

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
i came from the iOS and this was my first android. that said, i felt that the built in gmail app wasn't good enough for what i needed. i have multiple accounts and want a seamless way to view not only individual accounts and also all accounts at a glance. I found the K9 mail app is great for this. you can view all mail and load more than the default 25 msgs at a time, and i've found the search works pretty well too. setting up gmail accounts is easy too.

hope this helps

lgreenberg

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
i came from the iOS and this was my first android. that said, i felt that the built in gmail app wasn't good enough for what i needed. i have multiple accounts and want a seamless way to view not only individual accounts and also all accounts at a glance. I found the K9 mail app is great for this. you can view all mail and load more than the default 25 msgs at a time, and i've found the search works pretty well too. setting up gmail accounts is easy too.

hope this helps

Are you on the AT&T version?

I could not get K9 to delete my email from the server after I'd deleted it from the app. When I went to GMAIL, messages I'd deleted in K9 were still there, as read.

The built in mail app on the Note was even worse, it didn't delete them either, but also download them over and over again.

ska916jedi

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Im having that problem with my Yahoo email. My Hotmail (secondary) is showing up right away / being "pushed." The Hotmail is somehow linked with Microsoft Exchange and dont know how that happened, but it works. I want my Yahoo to be the same, but can't figure out how.

lgreenberg

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Im having that problem with my Yahoo email. My Hotmail (secondary) is showing up right away / being "pushed." The Hotmail is somehow linked with Microsoft Exchange and dont know how that happened, but it works. I want my Yahoo to be the same, but can't figure out how.

I've done a lot of searching about it and it seems to be a Samsung (maybe Jelly Bean) issue as I've found some S3 users having the same problem.

It's as if the mail accounts are being set up as POP even though they are configured for IMAP.

aclerk

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Are you on the AT&T version?

I could not get K9 to delete my email from the server after I'd deleted it from the app. When I went to GMAIL, messages I'd deleted in K9 were still there, as read.

The built in mail app on the Note was even worse, it didn't delete them either, but also download them over and over again.

yup, im on the att version. when i set it up it is all imap. have you deleted the gmail account? maybe gmail is still keeping the msgs and overriding any changes k9 is making? you should try to remove the account in the gmail app and see if it works from there. the only issue i've seen is that it may take a few mins before all inboxes are synced, so if i delete an email from k9, it'll still be in my outlook or online for a few mins before it disappears.

lgreenberg

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
yup, im on the att version. when i set it up it is all imap. have you deleted the gmail account? maybe gmail is still keeping the msgs and overriding any changes k9 is making? you should try to remove the account in the gmail app and see if it works from there. the only issue i've seen is that it may take a few mins before all inboxes are synced, so if i delete an email from k9, it'll still be in my outlook or online for a few mins before it disappears.

Just tried it again - and again no joy.

Deleted messages from K9 (GMAIL account) are only ever marked as "read" on the GMAIL web client (they never leave the inbox.)

aclerk

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Just tried it again - and again no joy.

Deleted messages from K9 (GMAIL account) are only ever marked as "read" on the GMAIL web client (they never leave the inbox.)

this may be a dumb question, but have you checked your gmail account settings on the web? Under forwarding and pop you should have IMAP enabled. Could be that it somehow got disabled which is why its not syncing. that happened to me once when i moved to a Windows treo from the PalmOS.

lgreenberg

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
this may be a dumb question, but have you checked your gmail account settings on the web? Under forwarding and pop you should have IMAP enabled. Could be that it somehow got disabled which is why its not syncing. that happened to me once when i moved to a Windows treo from the PalmOS.

Yeah, everything is set up to IMAP. I have an LG Optimus G and this problem doesn't happen on it.

rollinbonz

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Kat,
I too came from iOS and had this issue, turns out I had inadvertently turned off syncing on the notification bar, not being used to this OS... pull down and scroll right and be sure your sync icon is green :)

Screenshot_2012-11-16-15-37-03.png

lgreenberg

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Kat,
I too came from iOS and had this issue, turns out I had inadvertently turned off syncing on the notification bar, not being used to this OS... pull down and scroll right and be sure your sync icon is green :)

View attachment 46800

Yes, it's syncing as it's supposed to. I'm not having the issue with the GMAIL app - there it works fine.

The issue is not that it's not syncing, it's syncing fine, just only halfway.

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
To enable ALL EMAIL ACCOUNTS GO TO gmail icon> menu button> settings> select gmail account> under DATA USAGE turn Gmail sync on. This will enable syncing with all emails on ur Galaxy Note 2 :)

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
To enable ALL EMAIL ACCOUNTS GO TO gmail icon> menu button> settings> select gmail account> under DATA USAGE turn Gmail sync on. This will enable syncing with all emails on ur Galaxy Note 2

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
2 enable ALL EMAIL ACCOUNTS GO TO gmail icon> menu button> settings> select gmail account> under DATA USAGE turn Gmail sync on. This will enable syncing with all emails on ur Galaxy Note 2

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
In order To enable ALL EMAIL ACCOUNTS GO TO gmail icon> menu button> settings> select gmail account> under DATA USAGE turn Gmail sync on. This will enable syncing with all emails on ur Galaxy Note 2

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
n order 2 enable ALL EMAIL ACCOUNTS GO TO gmail icon> menu button> settings> select gmail account> under DATA USAGE turn Gmail sync on. This will enable syncing with all emails on ur Galaxy Note 2