Difference in Insurance: AT&T vs. Best Buy

Martinezma99

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Who has the better insurance plan? Best Buy or AT&T. I paid full price for my GN2 and it would be too painful to pay another $649 for a new phone.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (AT&T)

NoNoiPhone4me

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Martinezma99

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I admittedly don't know anything about Best Buy's insurance but the thing about AT&T's insurance is that the deductible is often the (subsidized) price of the phone. See: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/en_US/pdf/wireless-phone-insurance-deductible-schedule.pdf

I will also admit that I have never used the AT&T insurance (for the reason stated above) but I am curious if anyone has and what has been their experience with it.

Correct but $199 is still way better than $649 plus whatever monthly I pay. I broke my screen on HTC One X so not eligible for upgrade. So, I had to pay $649. Ouch!

acordo01

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Correct but $199 is still way better than $649 plus whatever monthly I pay. I broke my screen on HTC One X so not eligible for upgrade. So, I had to pay $649. Ouch!

The best buy insurance is a monthly price of either 9.99 or 14.99 not sure but their is no deductible. Repeat NO deductible for claims. You get another phone in 3 to 5 business days. Only downside is it doesn't cover lost or stolen devices that's the only exception. But however if you don't receive your new phone within 10 business days then you get a gift card for the full price of your device. At that point you can either go but yourself a new phone or if you have an upgrade available use it and pay less for the new phone and use the gift card for something else. So definitely I would recommend getting the insurance at best buy it beats the 200 $ deductible on top of the monthly fee.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
The best buy insurance is a monthly price of either 9.99 or 14.99 not sure but their is no deductible. Repeat NO deductible for claims. You get another phone in 3 to 5 business days. Only downside is it doesn't cover lost or stolen devices that's the only exception. But however if you don't receive your new phone within 10 business days then you get a gift card for the full price of your device. At that point you can either go but yourself a new phone or if you have an upgrade available use it and pay less for the new phone and use the gift card for something else. So definitely I would recommend getting the insurance at best buy it beats the 200 $ deductible on top of the monthly fee.

9.99 for Android phones or 169.98 outright for the two years

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to find out too. Anyone know the answer?

You don't you just need a receipt saying you purchased within 30 days and the phone to show its still in good condition. It also has to be a phone that you would have been able to buy through best buy

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy doesn't really cover water damage or major physical damage. Here is a quote from terms as listed on the Web Page:

"ADH Exclusions: units that fall from elevated heights such as decks, balconies, or out of windows, units that have been run over or that fall from moving vehicles, damage from liquid immersion/submersion or any other secondary damage or using the product in a manner the manufacturer did not intend is not covered."

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to say Hi to everyone :). I just received my G1 today in the mail. I decided on choosing the black g1. So far I LOVE IT :)!! Great device, and love the features on it.

-Luis

They'll cover water damage as long as you didn't drop it in a pool and leave it there or left it in the rain overnight type of deal

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
So, $440 for ATT insurance ($10 a month plus $200 deductible) or best Buy insurance that may not even cover your loss...

I will probably be getting a new phone within a year anyway, so I'll take my chances.

acordo01

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Best Buy doesn't really cover water damage or major physical damage. Here is a quote from terms as listed on the Web Page:

"ADH Exclusions: units that fall from elevated heights such as decks, balconies, or out of windows, units that have been run over or that fall from moving vehicles, damage from liquid immersion/submersion or any other secondary damage or using the product in a manner the manufacturer did not intend is not covered."

Speaking from experience of being an employee for 5 years that handles these issues regularly. Those are just small print documentation. Don't walk in telling them you ran over it. Or dropped it from a balcony. Our any of those things. Just simply walk in and state your phone was dropped and or had liquid damage you don't have to give them any other reason why you want to make a claim. They do mention full water submerge isn't cover but why would you tell them you did? Just say it has liquid damage. That's it.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Speaking from experience of being an employee for 5 years that handles these issues regularly. Those are just small print documentation. Don't walk in telling them you ran over it. Or dropped it from a balcony. Our any of those things. Just simply walk in and state your phone was dropped and or had liquid damage you don't have to give them any other reason why you want to make a claim. They do mention full water submerge isn't cover but why would you tell them you did? Just say it has liquid damage. That's it.

Thanks for the info. May Go for this after all!