Heelp pleasse! Samsung Galaxy Note 2 will not lock!

Simone Lam

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
So I have gone onto settings-lock screen- and then put in a screen lock. I also have "lock instantly with power key" ticked and I have set it to lock automatically. I have been trying to fix this with all different settings all day but for some reason, when I click the power button on the side of the phone to lock the screen, it doesn't lock! The phone screen goes black (as it should) but then to unlock, it doesn't ask me for a password. Am I missing something here?? Surely this should be simple. Everyone can use my phone..

(Another note: If I'm on my phone and I open up my messages in the pull down notification menu, it does ask me for a password, but this is the only time it does)

I can't find anything on this online. Someone please heelp!

Victor R

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I know it sounds simple. But, did you restart your phone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Mickeywdw1254

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Did you adjust the "secured lock time" settings?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354491299017.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354491299017.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 368

JayRatliff

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Just lower your timer to 15 seconds, it will get you by until the update. Not finding any other references to this occurring commonly.

Just tested mine and it works fine, however, I am using the pattern lock, not a pin code lock. You might try the pattern lock and see if it will work.....

Simone Lam

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I've tried a pattern, password and pin lock.. with no success.. I've tried the "lock instantly with power key" and I've changed the timer to screen lock in "15 seconds after screen automatically turns off". I've called Samsung helpline and they told me to switch it off and take the battery out- but that didn't work either..

@acbuescher - let me know if you find a solution! Thanks for the replies

JayRatliff

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
You could hard reset your phone if it is a software issue occurring randomly.
1. Backup all your data
2. Hard reset your phone Hard Reset Found Here
3. Restore your data

Not sure how savy you are, but you cold flash the stock ROM back in an attempt to fix the problem.

inspectagadget1973

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I've tried a pattern, password and pin lock.. with no success.. I've tried the "lock instantly with power key" and I've changed the timer to screen lock in "15 seconds after screen automatically turns off". I've called Samsung helpline and they told me to switch it off and take the battery out- but that didn't work either..

@acbuescher - let me know if you find a solution! Thanks for the replies

If it was me is take it back for a new one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

chloe s

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey my phone was doing the same thing. I went to security and screen lock then put it on swipe and pressed home. Let me know if it works for you! :)

GarTheConquer

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Same thing is happening for my Note 2. Got this lovely device yesterday and I still can't get the screen to lock more than once. I tried the battery removal. I am going to take it back tomorrow. :'(

GarTheConquer

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I'll try that today and report back. I read somewhere that I must wait until some kind of setup is complete before signing in with my Gmail account because of this"no lock screen glitch."

Steve Parkinson

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Here's what you do.

1. Settings > Lock Screen > Screen Lock then set your pin
2. On the same Lock screen setting screen > Secured lock time > Instantly with the power key or when the screen times out

Done. When your screen times out or you press lock key. Press lock key again and it'll ask you to enter the pin.

As stupid as it sounds, this screen lock is considered "Secured lock" which requires another timing set up regardless of your display time out settings.

p.s. You don't need to lower this secured lock by 15 seconds. You can have it locked instantly or whenever your other display time out setting kicks in. This feature is to allow people to not having to put in the pin every time their display is turned off, but only if it's off by X minutes.

dodong27

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Mine is working perfectly fine.
Lock screen and password feature works.
Maybe return it and get a new one...

Varun Singh

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
lol exact same thing happend wid m also i freaked out as well..

just uncheck lock immedtialy wid power key ,

and go to lock automatically> immediatly

and tada it will be all normal :D

hope this works

rms2005

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I was having the same problem and after playing with it and many apps it turned out to be something with gosms, once i uninstalled go the lockscreen worked fine, reinstall it and the problem comes back. Been with handcent for about 24 hours now and not one problem.

dodong27

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
So I have gone onto settings-lock screen- and then put in a screen lock. I also have "lock instantly with power key" ticked and I have set it to lock automatically. I have been trying to fix this with all different settings all day but for some reason, when I click the power button on the side of the phone to lock the screen, it doesn't lock! The phone screen goes black (as it should) but then to unlock, it doesn't ask me for a password. Am I missing something here?? Surely this should be simple. Everyone can use my phone..

(Another note: If I'm on my phone and I open up my messages in the pull down notification menu, it does ask me for a password, but this is the only time it does)

I can't find anything on this online. Someone please heelp!

I'm guessing her lock screen is working now..???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay