Galaxy note 2 turn off by itself

MGNew

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I literally unboxed my new Note II from AT&T bought from Amazon Wireless 4 hours, started installing apps, including Clean Fonts and Gothic Fonts, changed the default font on my system. I was happily playing with my new phone on Bluetooth headphones and during my software update - my phone looked like it was shutting down on purpose and it seemed dead with the LED up top lit in blue. I'm uninstalling those fonts, hoping to see if this is the culprit. I'll let you know. I dunno...very sad now as I am a new Droid user.

Brynjar Gudmundsson

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
It's not the BT, I haven't used it for 2 days. Yesterday my phone didn't turn off at all, worked like charm. To day hee has turned off 2 times but I wasn't using BT, but I was listening too music trough the speaker and after few minutes playing in both times my note rebooted by it self ; (

eadgbe

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm starting to see a number of these reports cropping up regarding either random shutdowns or reboots. Unfortunately, from what I've read so far no one seems to have a clue as to what is going on yet.

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
same here. i just switched from iPhone to gn2 and replaced my first gn2 with another thanks to the good folks at my local at&t shop. after the replacement, everything worked well and was smooth.

today i decided to manually check for software updates and let my gn2 download the 178mb multi-window update. after the update, i'm back to the note rebooting randomly, especially when i enter my home (when the note switches from cell data to wifi). it reboots when i turn wifi off, and sometimes when i turn it back on.

can you guys keep an eye out on this? watch your phone when you enter your home wifi area when coming in from the cell network. the reboots, hangups, crashes, etc. weren't happening for me prior to this update.

unbelievable. i've spent three weeks just trying to get this phone up and working. no wonder so many people swear by apple stuff. it works.

benjamintiffany

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Yup mine does the same thing.. When ever I connect to wifi it stays on but when I switch it back to the network data it freezes and then shuts down and reboots... Whats going on... Getting really annoying. . I have the galaxy note 2 on us cellular network. I have the latest software update as well..

cz10306

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem on my Note 2. I have the phone for 1 month. The problem has happened two times now. I don't think it is caused by any Apps after I read the posts from other folks. I don't have the Apps people mentioned. And, the phones that have the issue are from different carries. Likely, it is a defective or a bug. Is there anybody having an idea what we should do?.
C

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
A similar thing happen to me to. I find that's my galaxy note 2 after having it for 2 weeks it started randomly rebooting on it's own like 5-7 times throughout the day. It happened shortly after I installed avast! Antivirus and antitheft from the Google play store. So I uninstall it but the random reboot still occurred so I did a factory reset. The random reboot only happens 1-2 times a day now but it also shuts off on it's own 2-3 times a day so the problem is even worse because I don't know the phone is off for so long till I check it. I don't know what is wrong or how to fix it since the reset didn't work. I had the phone for 3-4 weeks so now I have to try the ATT warranty stores.

Isn't there a Master reset that is "more" than a factory reset?

I would reset and only add back one or two apps a day and see if there is another app causing an issue also.

Sent from my AWESOME Note 2

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Kelly. I did the "factory reset" two times which supposedly deletes all data and settings and the device (it has restored mine to default where you have to set it up again). It has retained the updates.

After this last security fix, walking into my house and picking up wifi has not caused my note2 to reset/reboot so far. and it picks up the wifi and maintains 10-15+ mbps download rates.

However, walking out of the house causes the phone to hang up then reboot.

To all experiencing this, can you start a navigation app before you leave the house, set your destination, and watch the screen? That's what i've been doing and notice it is hanging and then rebooting like clockwork. I lose the nav and have to redo it. It resets after about two minutes of driving while out of home wifi range.

So far I'm narrowing this down to possibly the multi-window update, since this second note2 did not have these problems until i did the multi-windows update (i'm on my second note2 because i went back to at&t because of the wifi/hang/rebooting issue).

I think I'm going to get another note2 (add it as another line with the intention of returning it within 14 days), not do the update but install all the same apps and see what happens.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
A few things..first, did you turn off the multi tab?

Sorry for not reading back, but did you also disable smart Wi-Fi?

Now two things to think about with a new phone and no update..

Not sure if you can skip the 4.1.2 update but then get the security update..you might want that security update.

Also eventually AT&T will force the 4.1.2 update on you and I don't think it will be too long before it forces you. When I had my S3, the update to JB was via Kies only, then a couple months later they released it OTA. Some were refusing the OTA update but not too long after, it forced it on them.

If software is the culprit, then you could root. If you don't want to root, then sending it to Samsung might be the only option.

OR..first:

Now if something went wrong in both your updates, you can flash the phone via Kies, according to Samsung support. Also if there is an AT&T Device Center in your area, they can flash it, which would be my first choice over using Kies. If you don't know if you have a Device or Warranty Center as some at AT&T call it, you can call 611 and ask them or sometimes the stores know, but not always. You usually can't find them listed on the internet or phone book.

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Again, thanks kelly. I figured that about the security update.

I disabled multi windows this morning per your suggestion. So I'll see if that has any effect. Also, I have never activated smart wifi and I just went in to make sure that it was disabled, and it has been.

I am suspecting that it is software related; it's hard for me to believe that two new phones would behave in exactly the same way.

Let me see what turning off multi windows does, then I'll see about reflashing the phone through at&t. thanks again.

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Ok Kelly, no dice on switch off multi windows. Still same effect.

You reminded me of recovery mode. So I rebooted my note2 in safe mode and did ten trials of going out of wifi range and coming back into wifi range. And guess what? Not a single test failure! No reboots, no hang-ups, no slow wifi capture, nothing.

This tells me it's definitely software related.

So do you know if safe mode runs what was native to the note2 when it came out of the box? Or is it running 4.1.2. (which is what I have) with all of the updates? I'm going to check in the about device section to see if there is a change in the baseband version...

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok Kelly, no dice on switch off multi windows. Still same effect.

You reminded me of recovery mode. So I rebooted my note2 in safe mode and did ten trials of going out of wifi range and coming back into wifi range. And guess what? Not a single test failure! No reboots, no hang-ups, no slow wifi capture, nothing.

This tells me it's definitely software related.

So do you know if safe mode runs what was native to the note2 when it came out of the box? Or is it running 4.1.2. (which is what I have) with all of the updates? I'm going to check in the about device section to see if there is a change in the baseband version...

Hopefully that will take care of it. I would find out the department at Samsung to report what you did and what happened. Also, if you get to Tier 2 support, they out the supervisor should be able to report the issue to Samsung so maybe a fix can be worked on.

I have no idea, I have NEVER done recovery mode, only heard about it.

There are things that can go wonky with updates, phone or computer. First Android I had years ago, the first update we had, screwed my phone up, basically bricked it.

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully that will take care of it. I would find out the department at Samsung to report what you did and what happened. Also, if you get to Tier 2 support, they out the supervisor should be able to report the issue to Samsung so maybe a fix can be worked on.

I have no idea, I have NEVER done recovery mode, only heard about it.

There are things that can go wonky with updates, phone or computer. First Android I had years ago, the first update we had, screwed my phone up, basically bricked it.

I rebooted in both safe mode and normal mode and the baseband, kernel, and build numbers were all the same.

I'll keep doing more trials and will post back here in about a week to add my findings. Thanks again Kelly.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
If you find a solution or particular cause, be sure and do a new thread about the issue and the things you found out and did.

Hopefully you can figure out what is particularly causing it.

BonJong Koo

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I received the replace device 3 times without battery, cover, pen. But same result happened. I requested the new battery. Even though I changed the new battery, same problem happen again, I will make sue & report to the NYC dept. of consumer affairs.
This is very ridiculous....I can't understand the Verizonwireless policy.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I received the replace device 3 times without battery, cover, pen. But same result happened. I requested the new battery. Even though I changed the new battery, same problem happen again, I will make sue & report to the NYC dept. of consumer affairs.
This is very ridiculous....I can't understand the Verizonwireless policy.

Replacement devices do not come with anything, not even a battery cover.

All carriers do it that way since the phone is the problem and not the accessories.

Sent from the AWESOME Note 2 of a girl :)

engmina201

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
how can i do it
mobile is totaly close

my mobile total colse now and i cant open it and i press all key and remove bat and put again no use

any advice

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma