02-11-2017 11:32 AM
83 1234
tools
    I have the same problem on my Note 2. I have the phone for 1 month. The problem has happened two times now. I don't think it is caused by any Apps after I read the posts from other folks. I don't have the Apps people mentioned. And, the phones that have the issue are from different carries. Likely, it is a defective or a bug. Is there anybody having an idea what we should do?.
    C
    02-17-2013 11:10 AM
    Have all of you with Wi-Fi issues disabled the AT&T smart Wi-Fi program?

Sent from my AWESOME Note 2
    02-17-2013 11:24 AM
    A similar thing happen to me to. I find that's my galaxy note 2 after having it for 2 weeks it started randomly rebooting on it's own like 5-7 times throughout the day. It happened shortly after I installed avast! Antivirus and antitheft from the Google play store. So I uninstall it but the random reboot still occurred so I did a factory reset. The random reboot only happens 1-2 times a day now but it also shuts off on it's own 2-3 times a day so the problem is even worse because I don't know the phone is off for so long till I check it. I don't know what is wrong or how to fix it since the reset didn't work. I had the phone for 3-4 weeks so now I have to try the ATT warranty stores.
    Isn't there a Master reset that is "more" than a factory reset?

I would reset and only add back one or two apps a day and see if there is another app causing an issue also.

02-17-2013 11:27 AM
    Thanks Kelly. I did the "factory reset" two times which supposedly deletes all data and settings and the device (it has restored mine to default where you have to set it up again). It has retained the updates.

After this last security fix, walking into my house and picking up wifi has not caused my note2 to reset/reboot so far. and it picks up the wifi and maintains 10-15+ mbps download rates.

However, walking out of the house causes the phone to hang up then reboot.

To all experiencing this, can you start a navigation app before you leave the house, set your destination, and watch the screen? That's what i've been doing and notice it is hanging and then rebooting like clockwork. I lose the nav and have to redo it. It resets after about two minutes of driving while out of home wifi range.

So far I'm narrowing this down to possibly the multi-window update, since this second note2 did not have these problems until i did the multi-windows update (i'm on my second note2 because i went back to at&t because of the wifi/hang/rebooting issue).

I think I'm going to get another note2 (add it as another line with the intention of returning it within 14 days), not do the update but install all the same apps and see what happens.
    02-17-2013 07:53 PM
    A few things..first, did you turn off the multi tab?

Sorry for not reading back, but did you also disable smart Wi-Fi?

Now two things to think about with a new phone and no update..

Not sure if you can skip the 4.1.2 update but then get the security update..you might want that security update.

Also eventually AT&T will force the 4.1.2 update on you and I don't think it will be too long before it forces you. When I had my S3, the update to JB was via Kies only, then a couple months later they released it OTA. Some were refusing the OTA update but not too long after, it forced it on them.

If software is the culprit, then you could root. If you don't want to root, then sending it to Samsung might be the only option.

OR..first:

Now if something went wrong in both your updates, you can flash the phone via Kies, according to Samsung support. Also if there is an AT&T Device Center in your area, they can flash it, which would be my first choice over using Kies. If you don't know if you have a Device or Warranty Center as some at AT&T call it, you can call 611 and ask them or sometimes the stores know, but not always. You usually can't find them listed on the internet or phone book.

02-18-2013 04:10 AM
    And just found one answer:

"This software package includes a chipset security enhancement, andwill update the baseband version toI317UCAMA4. This update is only available for devices that have been upgraded toAndroid 4.1.2."

https://www.att.com/esupport/article...questid=184475

02-18-2013 04:55 AM
    Again, thanks kelly. I figured that about the security update.

I disabled multi windows this morning per your suggestion. So I'll see if that has any effect. Also, I have never activated smart wifi and I just went in to make sure that it was disabled, and it has been.

I am suspecting that it is software related; it's hard for me to believe that two new phones would behave in exactly the same way.

Let me see what turning off multi windows does, then I'll see about reflashing the phone through at&t. thanks again.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    02-18-2013 06:41 AM
    Hope it works, also, isn't there a reset that does more? Recovery mode or something like that?

02-18-2013 06:43 AM
    Ok Kelly, no dice on switch off multi windows. Still same effect.

You reminded me of recovery mode. So I rebooted my note2 in safe mode and did ten trials of going out of wifi range and coming back into wifi range. And guess what? Not a single test failure! No reboots, no hang-ups, no slow wifi capture, nothing.

This tells me it's definitely software related.

So do you know if safe mode runs what was native to the note2 when it came out of the box? Or is it running 4.1.2. (which is what I have) with all of the updates? I'm going to check in the about device section to see if there is a change in the baseband version...
    02-18-2013 02:50 PM
    Ok Kelly, no dice on switch off multi windows. Still same effect.

You reminded me of recovery mode. So I rebooted my note2 in safe mode and did ten trials of going out of wifi range and coming back into wifi range. And guess what? Not a single test failure! No reboots, no hang-ups, no slow wifi capture, nothing.

This tells me it's definitely software related.

So do you know if safe mode runs what was native to the note2 when it came out of the box? Or is it running 4.1.2. (which is what I have) with all of the updates? I'm going to check in the about device section to see if there is a change in the baseband version...
    Hopefully that will take care of it. I would find out the department at Samsung to report what you did and what happened. Also, if you get to Tier 2 support, they out the supervisor should be able to report the issue to Samsung so maybe a fix can be worked on.

I have no idea, I have NEVER done recovery mode, only heard about it.

There are things that can go wonky with updates, phone or computer. First Android I had years ago, the first update we had, screwed my phone up, basically bricked it.

rankar7 likes this.
    02-18-2013 04:02 PM
    Hopefully that will take care of it. I would find out the department at Samsung to report what you did and what happened. Also, if you get to Tier 2 support, they out the supervisor should be able to report the issue to Samsung so maybe a fix can be worked on.

I have no idea, I have NEVER done recovery mode, only heard about it.

There are things that can go wonky with updates, phone or computer. First Android I had years ago, the first update we had, screwed my phone up, basically bricked it.
    I rebooted in both safe mode and normal mode and the baseband, kernel, and build numbers were all the same.

I'll keep doing more trials and will post back here in about a week to add my findings. Thanks again Kelly.
    Kelly Kearns and wed2002 like this.
    02-18-2013 08:00 PM
    If you find a solution or particular cause, be sure and do a new thread about the issue and the things you found out and did.

Hopefully you can figure out what is particularly causing it.

02-18-2013 09:29 PM
    I received the replace device 3 times without battery, cover, pen. But same result happened. I requested the new battery. Even though I changed the new battery, same problem happen again, I will make sue & report to the NYC dept. of consumer affairs.
    This is very ridiculous....I can't understand the Verizonwireless policy.
    02-20-2013 06:20 PM
    I received the replace device 3 times without battery, cover, pen. But same result happened. I requested the new battery. Even though I changed the new battery, same problem happen again, I will make sue & report to the NYC dept. of consumer affairs.
    This is very ridiculous....I can't understand the Verizonwireless policy.
    Replacement devices do not come with anything, not even a battery cover.

All carriers do it that way since the phone is the problem and not the accessories.

Sent from the AWESOME Note 2 of a girl
    wed2002 likes this.
    02-20-2013 07:27 PM
    how can i do it
    mobile is totaly close

my mobile total colse now and i cant open it and i press all key and remove bat and put again no use

any advice
    02-24-2013 04:50 AM
    how come
    02-24-2013 07:01 AM
    hello, i found ur advices very helpful but i have the same problem but it wouldn't turn on again just died i tried to press all the buttons, remove the battery, recharge it with no response. the last thing i was doing before it went blank is using it as a phone and before that a request for updating the software was coming but i was pressing later whenever i saw it... can u help me, pleae?? i got addicted to my gn2 and i can't replace it...
    03-08-2013 03:32 AM
    hello, i found ur advices very helpful but i have the same problem but it wouldn't turn on again just died i tried to press all the buttons, remove the battery, recharge it with no response. the last thing i was doing before it went blank is using it as a phone and before that a request for updating the software was coming but i was pressing later whenever i saw it... can u help me, pleae?? i got addicted to my gn2 and i can't replace it...
    Ok first of all, what you did was all correct. The first thing I'm suspecting is a battery issue. So the first thing you want to do is re-insert the battery, plug the samsung charger into the phone (and directly into the wall, not an extension cord), and use the cord that came with the samsung charger. Now wait a few minutes and see if it comes back. If it doesn't, post back here.
    03-08-2013 09:57 AM
    Hi all,
    I've bought my gn2 2 week ago and it's the second time that the device turn off when trying connectiong to bt parrot of my car..
    My gn2 mount android 4.1.1 and few application on 32 gb micro sd.
    After reading this thread, I think that it could be a software issue.... am I wrong?
    mabye is better to reuqest phone replacement?
    thanks max
    03-09-2013 01:25 PM
    I don't know if any of you are utilizing the AT&T Voicemail Viewer app (for listening to your home/office voicemails), but I was experiencing similar issues with frequent reboots. It was very odd - I could even be on a call, the call would apparently end and I couldn't do anything on the device. After a minute or so, it would appear to reboot and once it came back up, the call would begin again (it never dropped the call even with the reboot!). I traded in my device on warranty and got another - same thing started happening. So I restored the device and started installing apps 1 by 1 each day. everything was working fine until I installed the Voicemail Viewer app and set it up. Almost immediately I started experiencing the same problem, especially when I went in and out of WIFI connections. I looked at the comments in Google Play for this app and found lots of issues specific to Galaxy Note 2 and the S3. Here's some examples:

"My GS3 has been driving me crazy resetting whenever I turn WiFi off of am out of range of WiFi. It took me a LONG time to isolate the problem to THIS app. When this app works it is very handy to get our home voice messages delivered direct to the phone, this app breaking the phone is not a good tradeoff."
    "After updating to Samsung / AT&T stock JB 4.1.1 ROM this app causes my phone to freeze or lockup all the time. The phone (or maybe just TouchWiz) always freezes when leaving a WiFi network or when disabling WiFi. As soon as a voice mailbox is configured this starts happening. Took me two months to find out it was this app since I have 100+ installed!"
    "I sent an email to the developer about this and have written about this on android central forums. My Galaxy Note 2 would hang up then reboot after leaving a wifi network (or if you turned wifi off). After five weeks of diligently noting all the changes I made to the phone and testing out each change (starting from booting in safe mode to uninstalling different apps, etc.), not to mention exchanging my original Note2 for another one and doing a master reset twice, I narrowed my problems down to this app. After completely uninstalling it, I have not had a hang/reboot of my note 2 when leaving a wifi area and going into cell data (or if I turned wifi off manually). You may not even notice you have this problem because the reboot happens quietly (if it's asking for your pin again and again, it's probably because your phone rebooted). If you have this app and a note 2, do this simple test: go to a wifi area like your home network, start this app, look at the voicemail listing, and turn off wifi. If your Note 2 does not hang up then reboot in a few seconds, you're good. If it hangs up and reboots, then completely uninstall this program"

Hopefully maybe this provides a solution for some of you experiencing this. Since I uninstalled the app, I've not have a single reboot.
    03-11-2013 10:45 AM
    The same thing has been happening to me. It just shuts off at random times and wont turn back on until I take out the battery and plug it into a power source. I had the phone replaced and this one is doing the same exact thing. It did it to me before the 4.1.2 so I dont think that is it. This is a very dissapointing introduction to android and I'm severely upset about my decision to switch. I'm going back to apple after this. I can't deal with a problematic phone. Apple is vastly superior to this garbage. Android is glitchy open source garbage. Maybe when I get my tablet I'll get android but then again ill probably get windows once they get the bugs worked out.
    03-11-2013 02:07 PM
    AT&T Voicemail Viewer has a new update that appears to have resolved the issue, so far. Will keep playing with it and see if this fully addresses the issue.
    rankar7 likes this.
    03-12-2013 03:48 PM
    Hopefully maybe this provides a solution for some of you experiencing this. Since I uninstalled the app, I've not have a single reboot.
    hey cool, that last product review/quote was mine! thanks for the update on the app
    03-13-2013 11:22 AM
    AT&T Voicemail Viewer has a new update that appears to have resolved the issue, so far. Will keep playing with it and see if this fully addresses the issue.
    thanks for letting us know. looks like they posted an update yesterday and so far, so good on my end too. nice being able to check home voicemail again from my note2.
    03-13-2013 11:40 AM
    thanks for letting us know. looks like they posted an update yesterday and so far, so good on my end too. nice being able to check home voicemail again from my note2.
    Yes please let us know. It's my office voicemail I check with it but it was so hellish before I'm not putting it back on my phone until I'm fairly sure it won't bother me again. Thanks to all of you for identifying it as the problem.
    03-13-2013 12:06 PM
83 1234