Galaxy note 2 turn off by itself

wed2002

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
hello, i found ur advices very helpful but i have the same problem but it wouldn't turn on again just died i tried to press all the buttons, remove the battery, recharge it with no response. the last thing i was doing before it went blank is using it as a phone and before that a request for updating the software was coming but i was pressing later whenever i saw it... can u help me, pleae??:'( i got addicted to my gn2 and i can't replace it...

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
hello, i found ur advices very helpful but i have the same problem but it wouldn't turn on again just died i tried to press all the buttons, remove the battery, recharge it with no response. the last thing i was doing before it went blank is using it as a phone and before that a request for updating the software was coming but i was pressing later whenever i saw it... can u help me, pleae??:'( i got addicted to my gn2 and i can't replace it...

Ok first of all, what you did was all correct. The first thing I'm suspecting is a battery issue. So the first thing you want to do is re-insert the battery, plug the samsung charger into the phone (and directly into the wall, not an extension cord), and use the cord that came with the samsung charger. Now wait a few minutes and see if it comes back. If it doesn't, post back here.

maxzor

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,
I've bought my gn2 2 week ago and it's the second time that the device turn off when trying connectiong to bt parrot of my car..
My gn2 mount android 4.1.1 and few application on 32 gb micro sd.
After reading this thread, I think that it could be a software issue.... am I wrong?
mabye is better to reuqest phone replacement?
thanks max

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if any of you are utilizing the AT&T Voicemail Viewer app (for listening to your home/office voicemails), but I was experiencing similar issues with frequent reboots. It was very odd - I could even be on a call, the call would apparently end and I couldn't do anything on the device. After a minute or so, it would appear to reboot and once it came back up, the call would begin again (it never dropped the call even with the reboot!). I traded in my device on warranty and got another - same thing started happening. So I restored the device and started installing apps 1 by 1 each day. everything was working fine until I installed the Voicemail Viewer app and set it up. Almost immediately I started experiencing the same problem, especially when I went in and out of WIFI connections. I looked at the comments in Google Play for this app and found lots of issues specific to Galaxy Note 2 and the S3. Here's some examples:

"My GS3 has been driving me crazy resetting whenever I turn WiFi off of am out of range of WiFi. It took me a LONG time to isolate the problem to THIS app. When this app works it is very handy to get our home voice messages delivered direct to the phone, this app breaking the phone is not a good tradeoff."
"After updating to Samsung / AT&T stock JB 4.1.1 ROM this app causes my phone to freeze or lockup all the time. The phone (or maybe just TouchWiz) always freezes when leaving a WiFi network or when disabling WiFi. As soon as a voice mailbox is configured this starts happening. Took me two months to find out it was this app since I have 100+ installed!"
"I sent an email to the developer about this and have written about this on android central forums. My Galaxy Note 2 would hang up then reboot after leaving a wifi network (or if you turned wifi off). After five weeks of diligently noting all the changes I made to the phone and testing out each change (starting from booting in safe mode to uninstalling different apps, etc.), not to mention exchanging my original Note2 for another one and doing a master reset twice, I narrowed my problems down to this app. After completely uninstalling it, I have not had a hang/reboot of my note 2 when leaving a wifi area and going into cell data (or if I turned wifi off manually). You may not even notice you have this problem because the reboot happens quietly (if it's asking for your pin again and again, it's probably because your phone rebooted). If you have this app and a note 2, do this simple test: go to a wifi area like your home network, start this app, look at the voicemail listing, and turn off wifi. If your Note 2 does not hang up then reboot in a few seconds, you're good. If it hangs up and reboots, then completely uninstall this program"

Hopefully maybe this provides a solution for some of you experiencing this. Since I uninstalled the app, I've not have a single reboot.

Airhead Xargon

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
The same thing has been happening to me. It just shuts off at random times and wont turn back on until I take out the battery and plug it into a power source. I had the phone replaced and this one is doing the same exact thing. It did it to me before the 4.1.2 so I dont think that is it. This is a very dissapointing introduction to android and I'm severely upset about my decision to switch. I'm going back to apple after this. I can't deal with a problematic phone. Apple is vastly superior to this garbage. Android is glitchy open source garbage. Maybe when I get my tablet I'll get android but then again ill probably get windows once they get the bugs worked out.

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
AT&T Voicemail Viewer has a new update that appears to have resolved the issue, so far. Will keep playing with it and see if this fully addresses the issue.

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
AT&T Voicemail Viewer has a new update that appears to have resolved the issue, so far. Will keep playing with it and see if this fully addresses the issue.

thanks for letting us know. looks like they posted an update yesterday and so far, so good on my end too. nice being able to check home voicemail again from my note2.

whitecollar

May 5, 2011
Visit site
thanks for letting us know. looks like they posted an update yesterday and so far, so good on my end too. nice being able to check home voicemail again from my note2.

Yes please let us know. It's my office voicemail I check with it but it was so hellish before I'm not putting it back on my phone until I'm fairly sure it won't bother me again. Thanks to all of you for identifying it as the problem.

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes please let us know. It's my office voicemail I check with it but it was so hellish before I'm not putting it back on my phone until I'm fairly sure it won't bother me again. Thanks to all of you for identifying it as the problem.

i've been randomly putting note2 out of wifi, back into range, manually turning off wifi, shutting phone down, etc. for last hour and so far so good with the AT&T VM Viewer app installed and running. At least now if the note2 starts rebooting, etc. I know which app I'll be looking at first. But like I said, so far so good!

Roger_War

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem and spent months trying to fix it,, simple solution, root your phone,, look up att root for galaxy note and it will give you step by step instructions, shouldn't take you more than5min

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
i've been randomly putting note2 out of wifi, back into range, manually turning off wifi, shutting phone down, etc. for last hour and so far so good with the AT&T VM Viewer app installed and running. At least now if the note2 starts rebooting, etc. I know which app I'll be looking at first. But like I said, so far so good!

just an update here guys: about five days since I downloaded the updated AT&T VM Viewer app and have had it installed and running as well. Not a single freeze and subsequent restart. Nice to have my home voicemail viewer back.

dopedsmurf

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I am currently experiencing this same issue on my SGN2 and I do not have the voicemail viewer application. My phone will appear to be in a powered-off state (minus the LED); however, nothing i do aside from reseat the battery will allow me to regain control of the phone. Sometimes I will be texting my girlfriend or whoever and after awhile I'll realize I am not getting any texts. My only point is that, I'll be doing almost nothing with my phone, not even carrying it around the house or doing anything other than texting, yet somehow it happens.

I should also mention that I experienced the same problem on my first Note 2, but at the time I thought it was due to a custom rom. I replaced and I am still experiencing the same problem.

I also read throughout the thread issues in regards to the change from wifi to lte connection could potentially be an issue? The wifi at my apartment is somewhat intermittent due to an old, faulty router. I am in the process of replacing that.

I am currently running JB 4.2.2, CM 10.1 -- flashing the 20130328 nightly as we speak. I'm not certain what I was running on the previous phone, but I do think it was 4.1.2.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or insight you provide. I am considering trying to get rid of this phone and pick up an S4. Although, I havent had time to look into whether or not people are experiencing the same problems on that device yet or not.

Raul Nandin

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Galaxy Note for 4 months from T-mobile and recently it updated to 4.1.2. I've suddenly experienced the same problem you've all discussed twice. About 8 hours apart. I've contacted my service provider who suggested that the reason for it was the usage of RAM from all the applications; however I don't use many apps, nor do I download many. Many of you have suggested it's the result of downloading an app or using bluetooth or some kind of connectivity issues, but I've had none of that and since it's happened the only thing I've done is update my phone. I have to agree with dopedsmurf, it may very well be the update.

I haven't tried the factory reset; if it is the update, perhaps the people up in android can take a look into it and fix it??

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey, that's exactly what I faced today, I was listening to music and my phone just shut down with no response at all, there is a small faint light that keeps blinking out of the proximity sensor... I tried everything possible and I even went to the service center, the folks there at the service center examined the phone and found that the motherboard is faulty and they would be sending in a replacement for me tomorrow... I'm unsure if the replacement would be a new or a refurbished one... but I'm hoping it would be new! :p

Steve Waldrop

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
The issue has nothing to do with software. The phone is flawed and shuts off on it's own under various conditions, all hardware related. Take a look at this video: 20130413_212624.mp4 - YouTube

Also take a look at this site I built that goes in to more detail regarding the issue: Verizon Galaxy Note 2 Shuts Off

One look at that short video and I am sure there will be some light bulbs going off. Be sure to read the details I provided on that site as well. They go in to detail about the problems that I have had and the lack of proper support that Samsung is willing to provide.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The issue has nothing to do with software. The phone is flawed and shuts off on it's own under various conditions, all hardware related. Take a look at this video: 20130413_212624.mp4 - YouTube

Also take a look at this site I built that goes in to more detail regarding the issue: Verizon Galaxy Note 2 Shuts Off

One look at that short video and I am sure there will be some light bulbs going off. Be sure to read the details I provided on that site as well. They go in to detail about the problems that I have had and the lack of proper support that Samsung is willing to provide.

I tried to drop the phone without case a few times similar to what you did, no shut down.

I am not really shocked by Verizon, Samsung attitude , the techs you are dealing with are most likely not tech savvy. Basic stuff no problem. Beyond that, they will want to send you a replacement. That seems to be their solution

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1