Will AT&T get the multi Window multitasking feature?

lynnpudas

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I am a basically ignorant phone user. Love note 2, want multi-tasking, hate bloatware, but have never rooted and I'm pretty sure I'm too scared to try. But if I should decide to try (doubtful but just in case) can you back up with dropbox or do you have to have an app specifically designed for that purpose and if so, how do I find such an app?

Not sure if Kies will still work or not, I never use it.

The 2 best options for backing up when rooted are:
Titanium Backup from PlayStore, it allows you to backup Alps and data associated the them. Such as progress in a game, it settings for the app.

For a complete backup if system settings and ROM, Nandroid backup from within the new recovery you have flashed. Whether it is Clockwork Mod or TWRP, they both do a great jib of making a restore point for whatever ROM you are running.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I would be terrified to even try rooting my phone. I'm not even sure I understand rooting. But I sure would love the multi-tasking option.What I love is I check for updates every day and it says, don't check back in less than 24 hours. Apparently, they are tired of folks checking and checking for updates.

Lynn: actually is really easy. I was honestly afraid to with this phone also, but att left me no choice. Following slingbox'instructions made it extremely easy and confidence boosting! As long as you back up at every step and before you do something, you should be okay with his method. Besides that, he's good and helped me through a couple things I did incorrect.

They payoff is great without much risk involved as long as you follow the instructions on it.

UsedName

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Man I'm sooo tempted to do this but its my very first Android (non iPhone) phone and just wish updating the OS is as easy iOS. LOL..hahah
I'm really scared of just having a two week old brick phone because I wasn't patience to wait for the update from the carrier. That's what kind of bothering me with Android OS they leave it up the the manufacturer or carries to roll out the updates and what features they want on their phones. This is coming from a simple ex-iOS user that wish simplicity on Android. ;)

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I've been following this thread and im going to go ahead and try but say in the future when at&t pushes out 4.2 would I have to un root

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

thomasanderson

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
I am wondering if there is a time limit on if and when At&t has to provide this feature before a class action can be filed. I have been monitoring the At&t multiview thread across multiple forums, and I am noticing that with T-mobile getting the update today, At&t's strategy of waiting out the consumer seems to be working, as activity about this subject seems to be dying down and many are resorting to voiding their warranties and rooting their Note 2's. This is a win-win for At&t. People just give up and accepted that At&t basically robbed us, and if you brick your phone rooting At&t does not have to replace it. By mid January, everyone will accept they were duped and simply move on. Very sad and disappointing.

Gdauti1981

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I am wondering if there is a time limit on if and when At&t has to provide this feature before a class action can be filed. I have been monitoring the At&t multiview thread across multiple forums, and I am noticing that with T-mobile getting the update today, At&t's strategy of waiting out the consumer seems to be working, as activity about this subject seems to be dying down and many are resorting to voiding their warranties and rooting their Note 2's. This is a win-win for At&t. People just give up and accepted that At&t basically robbed us, and if you brick your phone rooting At&t does not have to replace it. By mid January, everyone will accept they were duped and simply move on. Very sad and disappointing.

Yea, I just got tired of waiting for AT&T to release the update, therefore, rooting and installing a custom ROM was the only option left. That being said, the multiwindow function kicks ass..

Steve Theer

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I have moved to the GN2 from my old iPhone 4, and I LOVE IT.

If I were to room and install a custom ROM, do I have to reinstall and set up all the apps I currently have on my stock phone?
What sort of benefits (aside from multi-view) does rooting and putting a custom ROM on have?

romza88

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I have 2 quick questions: When everyone says backup to SD, put on SD, install on SD card, etc, do you actually need an SD card or could you just use the storage space already on the note 2?

Second one is, when you are removing everything from your phone, does that remove the contacts / texts / etc? Does the backup save those? Thanks

romza88

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Oh i'm sorry, one more question: CleanROM. I hear t-mobile / Verizon have much better custom roms and I recently read there's a guide for putting them on AT&T phones. Does anyone think it's wise to wait for them? How hard is it switching ROMs?

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I have 2 quick questions: When everyone says backup to SD, put on SD, install on SD card, etc, do you actually need an SD card or could you just use the storage space already on the note 2?

Second one is, when you are removing everything from your phone, does that remove the contacts / texts / etc? Does the backup save those? Thanks
1)Yes you can use internal storage for backups etc but that takes away from device memory so its best to do majority backup on SD card.
After you root , Get TWRP installed make your first backup to device then backup to SD card that way original Rom image is saved in both place.
From there save all backups to SD card.

2)Yes backup saves rom image & everything on it.
Before flashing custom rom you will need to make separate backup of contacts , apps etc so you can transfer them over.
A great app I use to do that- https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....idea.backup.smscontacts&hl=en&token=WqzbXpsj

Safety tip:
Every so often backup SD card to PC so if SD gets corrupted you can reformat and transfer saved data to it

Oh i'm sorry, one more question: CleanROM. I hear t-mobile / Verizon have much better custom roms and I recently read there's a guide for putting them on AT&T phones. Does anyone think it's wise to wait for them? How hard is it switching ROMs?
huh your hearing wrong lol
ATT has more international rom ports available then both carriers combined & Quality of roms is = if not better
Flashing rom is easy takes about 2 min.

romza88

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
When you say backup to device and then SD, do you mean actually backing up twice using TWRP or do you mean transferring the backup from device to SD card? I don't mind it actually taking up space since I don't have much on my phone. I ask this because I don't have an SD card right now and I would like to root / flash CleanROM before buying one.

And thank you for the quick reply

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
When you say backup to device and then SD, do you mean actually backing up twice using TWRP or do you mean transferring the backup from device to SD card? I don't mind it actually taking up space since I don't have much on my phone. I ask this because I don't have an SD card right now and I would like to root / flash CleanROM before buying one.

And thank you for the quick reply
1st TWRP backup do Internal & Sdcard that way that way original image is safe and sound.
If you don't want to SD card , transfer a copy of original backup image to PC

romza88

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok I just upgraded to CleanRom but I didn't format. I read the instructions above concerning the Exynos exploit and installing TWRP through that and he said to install it and I believe there should be a format option but there wasn't.

Should I format and do the whole process over again? How would I go about doing that?

NavyVet420

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
This is so true. :D

HI.. I've never rooted. I have the I317. I even spoke with someone who claims he is with the Executive Response Team @ ATT and they have NO clue about the Multi-View. SO .. How do I root my beast and take advantage? I mean I don't care anymore what ATT does. The S2 is just now getting ICS for that phone almost 2 years old now.. So if you want, email me detailed instructions: 8tenstudios@gmail.com

NO spam please. Only real results.. I am new and want to use Multi-View. I don't want to return this and Im stuck with ATT.. But I have the Note 2..
Peace and Pot and Happy Festivus for the rest of us.

Cmatt1971

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
HI.. I've never rooted. I have the I317. I even spoke with someone who claims he is with the Executive Response Team @ ATT and they have NO clue about the Multi-View. SO .. How do I root my beast and take advantage? I mean I don't care anymore what ATT does. The S2 is just now getting ICS for that phone almost 2 years old now.. So if you want, email me detailed instructions: 8tenstudios@gmail.com

NO spam please. Only real results.. I am new and want to use Multi-View. I don't want to return this and Im stuck with ATT.. But I have the Note 2..
Peace and Pot and Happy Festivus for the rest of us.

I just sent you a email with link to rooting directions that slingbox#AC made. It should get you rooted and running a custom ROM.

Enjoy.

Tezzo2Timez

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Im scared to reboot my device I dont want to lose my contacts, pictures, and music......I did download the goo manager app and watch the video but I'm jus nervous to reboot it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21