Note 2 loses data connection

surebuttercringe

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Are they working on turning on 4G in your area?

Also, Samsung has a Tier 2 level of support also that they will switch you to pretty quickly, might want to call Samsung.

Sent from my AWESOME Note 2

Nope. In Houston, 4G is pretty much everywhere, especially at work where I use it the most. I've even gotten speeds of 64 mbps download before in certain areas.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Kelly,
5 phones have all behaved the same way. Serious wifi issues. Unexplained browser lags or lock ups or you could call it a freeze thats lasts several minutes. If I drop wifi and use my LTE connection it behaves just fine.
I was recently in the hospital for a serious pneumonia. Ohio health has a very powerful guest wifi network that is unsecured. I had my GN2 with me and it was a pleasure to use on wifi. There was not one instance of grief.
That makes me believe the finger pointing is at the linksys WRT330n router. There are no upgrades available for the router she said it is a legacy router..whatever that means.
I have just ordered a Asus AC66U dual band router.
What other symptoms are there of a router going bad?

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Kelly,
5 phones have all behaved the same way. Serious wifi issues. Unexplained browser lags or lock ups or you could call it a freeze thats lasts several minutes. If I drop wifi and use my LTE connection it behaves just fine.
I was recently in the hospital for a serious pneumonia. Ohio health has a very powerful guest wifi network that is unsecured. I had my GN2 with me and it was a pleasure to use on wifi. There was not one instance of grief.
That makes me believe the finger pointing is at the linksys WRT330n router. There are no upgrades available for the router she said it is a legacy router..whatever that means.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-18-15-41-19.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-18-15-41-19.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 23

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
An update to my previous posts.

I know the original post was about cellular data, but I was seeing the same issues on wifi. I even said in my post that I was not going to be able to test my cellular data for a few days as I was going to be home on wifi all weekend.

After the OTA security update the other day, my wifi issues seemed to disappear. Well, they resurfaced the next day. I am back to having to turn airplane mode off and on to get wifi working correctly at times.

I am still trying to figure out if it is an app or a driver/antenna issue as others have mentioned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Kelly,

You might not notice on a computer as quickly, also could be your actual internet or some router settings.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
An update to my previous posts.

I know the original post was about cellular data, but I was seeing the same issues on wifi. I even said in my post that I was not going to be able to test my cellular data for a few days as I was going to be home on wifi all weekend.

After the OTA security update the other day, my wifi issues seemed to disappear. Well, they resurfaced the next day. I am back to having to turn airplane mode off and on to get wifi working correctly at times.

I am still trying to figure out if it is an app or a driver/antenna issue as others have mentioned.

You should try just turning off data, instead of airplane mode and see if that helps.

Seems all major carriers, AT&T, Sprint and Verizon put a Wi-Fi program on their phones. I would suggest disabling those programs.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
You should try just turning off data, instead of airplane mode and see if that helps.

Seems all major carriers, AT&T, Sprint and Verizon put a Wi-Fi program on their phones. I would suggest disabling those programs.

I did disable at&t's wifi app when I first bought the note a few months ago.

Most of the radio issues started with the 4.1.2 update for me.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

newts

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
So recently, my phone has started to lose data connection. This happened once before, and I read about disabling AT&T Smart Wi-Fi, which seemed to fix the issue until this week. I have to restart the phone and data works fine, but if I quit using it for a while I have to do the process all over again. Wi-Fi toggle is off, OS is stock, anyone have any ideas?

I just got my Note 2 last week and had trouble with losing my 3G connection on Sprint. Wifi always works. I have to reboot the phone or toggle Airplane to get 3G data back. I talked to Sprint and they suggested as a test to disable LTE which I did (no LTE in NH yet). This seemed to have fixed it somewhat. Last night I turned it back on and got it to fail. Fixed it, turned Wifi on and it has been fine. I drove from 3g at home to LTE in the way to work and 4G LTE works fine (I mean awesome!). So far I haven't lost the data again.

I should say too that when I was losing 3G data I could still make calls with no problem. The Up arrow on the 3G would occasionally blink but never a down (anyone remember the Samsung Moment "up arrow of death" problem?).

Anyway, FYI. I hope there isn't an intrinsic problem with LTE in these phones...

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I just got my Note 2 last week and had trouble with losing my 3G connection on Sprint. Wifi always works. I have to reboot the phone or toggle Airplane to get 3G data back. I talked to Sprint and they suggested as a test to disable LTE which I did (no LTE in NH yet). This seemed to have fixed it somewhat. Last night I turned it back on and got it to fail. Fixed it, turned Wifi on and it has been fine. I drove from 3g at home to LTE in the way to work and 4G LTE works fine (I mean awesome!). So far I haven't lost the data again.

I should say too that when I was losing 3G data I could still make calls with no problem. The Up arrow on the 3G would occasionally blink but never a down (anyone remember the Samsung Moment "up arrow of death" problem?).

Anyway, FYI. I hope there isn't an intrinsic problem with LTE in these phones...

It's not that there is a problem with LTE on the phones. I think there is more of an issue with LTE technology.

This is one thing that makes me angry about AT&T, they took our ability away to turn off LTE when necessary. Now you have to remove your battery and SIM to turn LTE on and off.

surebuttercringe

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
It's not that there is a problem with LTE on the phones. I think there is more of an issue with LTE technology.

This is one thing that makes me angry about AT&T, they took our ability away to turn off LTE when necessary. Now you have to remove your battery and SIM to turn LTE on and off.

Nah, it's a problem with LTE on the phone itself. LTE is firmly established here in Houston. Also, my LTE iPhone 5 had no problems with signal loss and data connection.

surebuttercringe

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Had a long chat with AT&T rep. online yesterday. It appears there is something wrong with the SGSN (?) not registering, thereby kicking my internet connection off after a few minutes. They are replacing the phone under warranty and I should have a new (refurbished) one by the end of the week.

Mike Langston

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I have t-mobile and my Note 2 started this a couple days ago. Nothing really seems to fix it.
One thing I did notice is that the data problem all started when I hit the "2Gig" mark for the billing period... but why would that matter when I have paid for the unlimited package. Way above 10Gig.
One other thing.... it will go as far as dropping the entire signal!!!

Anyone have a FIX for this?:(:confused:

(little later)
I just did a factory reset!..... NO DATA CONNECTION AT ALL! At this point sounds like a warranty swap to me!!

Last edited:

tnnsxace

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I know this is an old topic, but I've been having this issue with my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 2 as well for the fourth week in a row now. My phone will say I have 3/4 bars of 4G LTE, yet I can't connect to the Internet, not even to retrieve my email. I've chatted with more than three AT&T service reps now, and my issue was even escalated last week, and now I'm just waiting for my replacement device. I even got my sim card replaced on the second week of this ongoing issue, and that did not seem to resolve it at all. I'm hoping that I won't have the same problem when I get the new phone either today or tomorrow. If not, I might just have to cancel my plan because I don't think it's right to have to put up with this for almost a month now. I even did a factory reset on my phone, and the issue still persists.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey