04-07-2013 09:09 AM
596 ... 1314151617 ...
tools
    How come everybody keep getting these updates and im not.....I rebooted my phone, reset it and everything.....im not touching that software button nomore until I get the update on its own......SMH
    12-29-2012 11:05 PM
    I got my update without any problems. I don't understand why people are getting so upset ... it's really not doing all that much, just 1 feature (that you've never had before anyway).
    So why is a few days wait for it so terrible? The Note2 was great without it, it's not like it's totally unusable.

In defense of AT&T:
    1. We don't have a logo on the home button -- sounds silly but it's a huge deal to some people.
    2. The network is a lot faster than Sprint.
    3. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to use them.

I've been playing with multi-window, it's nice but not a killer compared to a lot of other features.
    12-29-2012 11:43 PM
    People paid hella money for that device and people spending hella money on the phone bill therefore I want what I paid for I want the whole deal.....
    I got my update without any problems. I don't understand why people are getting so upset ... it's really not doing all that much, just 1 feature (that you've never had before anyway).
    So why is a few days wait for it so terrible? The Note2 was great without it, it's not like it's totally unusable.

In defense of AT&T:
    1. We don't have a logo on the home button -- sounds silly but it's a huge deal to some people.
    2. The network is a lot faster than Sprint.
    3. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to use them.

I've been playing with multi-window, it's nice but not a killer compared to a lot of other features.
    Peaches36 and Soap4Me like this.
    12-29-2012 11:47 PM
    Because the device is totally unusable without multiwindow...
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    12-29-2012 11:51 PM
    The distribution of the update is a Google thing
    . Don't know who told you that but I doubt very much that it is true. AT&T has the update and has blocked Samsung and Google from updating. Sounds more like passing the buck. IMO this post on AT&T's forums sum up the root of the frustration: Angry with AT&T meddling and blocking upgrades on ... - AT&T Community Support
    12-30-2012 12:13 AM
    Im scared to check the software update because it might tell me 24 hrs again
    12-30-2012 12:37 AM
    Just looked for an update using wifi and it was there waiting on me. It's on its 2nd reboot right now. Can't wait! Android is updating apps now. I love this machine.
    12-30-2012 01:21 AM
    Just looked for an update using wifi and it was there waiting on me. It's on its 2nd reboot right now. Can't wait! Android is updating apps now. I love this machine.
    So you rebooted your phone twice
    12-30-2012 01:36 AM
    It did. It did the first download (7-10mins) then rebooted. Then it uploaded on the AT&T screen(3mins) then rebooted again. Then it upgraded and optimized all my apps(2mins) and it was ready for use.
    12-30-2012 01:58 AM
    Okay. This is what I did. I transfer the uodate file to my download file on the internal sd card. I then transfered the file to my external sd card. You can make a folder or put it in the external sd card. When you do the safe mode reboot, it will ask you to install from external sd card. Select the update file and it should start updating. Just fyi, it will erase everything in the internal sd card so I would back it up with kies. Let me know if you have oyher questions or if it actually worked. If it doesnt and you are stuck let me know also.
    Is there somewhere else to get the update file?
    12-30-2012 03:04 AM
    Kelly I really love all your posts, honestly. Sonic is right on one thing. ATandT could have handled this much better than they did. They could have put it ONLINE and all could have downloaded leaving their network free. My daughter also defends ATandT. I have been with Sprint as well as ATandT and they handle updates much more efficiently. They PUSH to phones with no timer crap programs. ATandT told me they are being overrun with calls anyway now due to customers complaining about how they handled this minor update. In the long run they saved nothing but rather gave all a big headache.
    Oh I'm not disagreeing with them being able to put it online, but the funny thing..with the S3 JB update, all the complaints were it wasn't OTA. Many people wanting OTA don't realize those updates are staggered and AT&T isn't the only ones that do that. I have plenty of issues right now with AT&T, but think it is ironic they did what the people wanted, OTA and now the people want Kies, the "piece of crap junk we should never have to use" so many have said.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung S3
    TheOtherBill and rgarcia900 like this.
    12-30-2012 08:09 AM
    Oh I'm not disagreeing with them being able to put it online, but the funny thing..with the S3 JB update, all the complaints were it wasn't OTA. Many people wanting OTA don't realize those updates are staggered and AT&T isn't the only ones that do that. I have plenty of issues right now with AT&T, but think it is ironic they did what the people wanted, OTA and now the people want Kies, the "piece of crap junk we should never have to use" so many have said.

I was thinking the exact same thing...
    Kelly Kearns and rgarcia900 like this.
    12-30-2012 08:10 AM
    . Don't know who told you that but I doubt very much that it is true. AT&T has the update and has blocked Samsung and Google from updating. Sounds more like passing the buck. IMO this post on AT&T's forums sum up the root of the frustration: Angry with AT&T meddling and blocking upgrades on ... - AT&T Community Support
    They blocked the software owner and the device manufacturer??

12-30-2012 08:14 AM
    Okay everyone. Used the zip file method to manually update my GN2. Worked out with really no hitches, it does delete your information.

I haven't seen any issues, juwtbmake sure to factorybreset after the update. This will insure that all is right in your world.

Good luck everone.
    12-30-2012 08:16 AM
    At least it isn't a Verizon update. You all would be waiting months for it.
    My poor attitude aside, I'm really hoping my note comes tomorrow.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums.

If I have been helpful to you, please go to the store, buy a bunch of beer, and send it to my house.
    Kelly Kearns and Soap4Me like this.
    12-30-2012 08:16 AM
    So why don't you buy unbranded international phones? I disable tons of bloatware and never root. I would love pure Android, but I buy the AT&T or whatever carrier, version because I don't want to spend the money. That means they have the final say so on when their update is pushed. That part goes with getting the discount for the phone. If that part is too much for some , they should pay the big bucks price for the unbranded, unlocked phone, IMO. There are ways to get what you want from these carriers and make them think it was all their idea, did it last night when I got a customer care rep to give me the coordinates of the AT&T towers within 5 miles of me and their status. Now I'm ready for the 2nd network tech that will tell me I need a micro cell. Six towers in a 5 mile radius of me, I'm covered N/S/E/W and one being 4 miles from me, the rest..less. I don't need a micro cell, not unless 3 towers are degraded, which they are.

Yeah, I'm not happy, but 611 isn't the issue and Network is going to hear about this next week when they call. The nice girl @611 have me the power last night, info, and thought it was all her idea.

Direct your complaints to the right people or you will be wasting your time and labeled a troublemaker and ignored. That is the way it is in any business. I rarely get a 611 person that isn't helpful and willing to tell me they don't know something and move me to the next level. If you start off making them defensive, it will NEVER happen.

TheOtherBill likes this.
    12-30-2012 08:35 AM
    I was thinking the exact same thing...
    This is why I will NEVER work in customer service..they probably have the worst job in the world lol

12-30-2012 08:38 AM
    I got my update, i saw on an update note that there would be improvements to the samsung KB. I see no such improvements, the auto correct still does not work and that seemed to be the only noticeable problem with the samsung KB that needed to be fixed
    12-30-2012 09:43 AM
    Has anyone in the MS area gotten the update dont want to check tired of getting check back in 24 hours
    12-30-2012 10:24 AM
    Jpark23,

Once I did it, it WAS easy-too bad they pulled the plug on the dropbox site however, someone is still hosting it there for those still interested.

It DID wipe my phone-no worries there, just had to re-download the essential apps I wanted. I backed up my phone prior, but for some reason my apps wouldn't transfer over. Oh well.
    It's really a nice feature-I just wish there were other apps you can add to it-I suppose rooting that would do so, but I'm not ready to tackle that just yet. I like Firefox browser because I can sync it with my phone without having to type in all my bookmarks again.

SB
    12-30-2012 11:00 AM
    Hey soloberry can you post a link. Every time I try to download the file I keep getting the Dropbox overload error.
    12-30-2012 11:21 AM
    For those of you that did the manual update (non-root on your sdcard), did it raise your flash counter?
    12-30-2012 11:26 AM
    Hey soloberry can you post a link. Every time I try to download the file I keep getting the Dropbox overload error.
    Hi there dcjr, just follow through to page 35, post 343.
    12-30-2012 11:33 AM
    For those of you that did the manual update (non-root on your sdcard), did it raise your flash counter?

if you mean resetting your uptime, yes. If not, tell me how to navigate there and i'll let you know, as I'm still a bit of a newbie here.
    12-30-2012 11:36 AM
    Nevermind, that's in the boot mode-I do not know-however, it shouldn't if your device is NOT roooted. If it is, there are ways to reset the flash counter.
    12-30-2012 11:48 AM
596 ... 1314151617 ...