Update difficulty

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I ran the update without any apparent problem however I have a Icon just to the left of the wifi umbrella that flashes off and on every 3 to 5 seconds. Its oval shaped and has 3 lines? Coming out the top of it. I dont know what it is or how to turn it off. I went into app manager, running and I have 2 items there digital clock and simple alarm clock. I did not have this problem prior to the update.
Edit: I went to look at the Icon again..it appears to be a alarm clock however I have no alarm set and I dont know how to turn it off.

The other problem is my road runner email is miscounting. It will say I have 57 emails if I close it and go back it will 0 out. Again I had no problems prior to update. I am using the pop 3 email app that came with the GN2.
I went into the account settings. There is a setting called " auto resend times" it is ticked for unlimited, I have never seen that before and it keeps sending 55 emails and when I close and reopen email it 0's out.

Hope someone can help

Last edited:

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I ran the update without any apparent problem however I have a Icon just to the left of the wifi umbrella that flashes off and on every 3 to 5 seconds. Its oval shaped and has 3 lines? Coming out the top of it. I dont know what it is or how to turn it off. I went into app manager, running and I have 2 items there digital clock and simple alarm clock. I did not have this problem prior to the update.
Edit: I went to look at the Icon again..it appears to be a alarm clock however I have no alarm set and I dont know how to turn it off.

The other problem is my road runner email is miscounting. It will say I have 57 emails if I close it and go back it will 0 out. Again I had no problems prior to update. I am using the pop 3 email app that came with the GN2.
I went into the account settings. There is a setting called " auto resend times" it is ticked for unlimited, I have never seen that before and it keeps sending 55 emails and when I close and reopen email it 0's out.

Hope someone can help

That is "smart stay" and "smart rotation" it is actually a little eye if you look at it hard enough. Smart Rotation is the function that uses the camera to keep a certain viewing angle despite a movement. Smart Stay is thefunction that keeps the display from turning off as long as the camera detects your looking at the screen.

Both settings are under "display".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
That is "smart stay" and "smart rotation" it is actually a little eye if you look at it hard enough. Smart Rotation is the function that uses the camera to keep a certain viewing angle despite a movement. Smart Stay is thefunction that keeps the display from turning off as long as the camera detects your looking at the screen.

Both settings are under "display".

Do they nuke the batt? Also, does smart stay have the flashing or blinking icon, lastly cam you answer part 2 of the post. Your a genius!

Last edited by a moderator:

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Do they nuke the batt? Also, does smart stay have the flashing or blinking icon, lastly cam you answer part 2 of the post. Your a genius!

It's not going to nuke it at all. I find for me (dark skinned), that stay is only helpful some of the time. Rotation is awesome!

And yes I can answer that. I would change it to maybe 5 times max, if that. What it's doing is just constantly trying to resend an email over and over. That, will chew through your data for sure. Check your out box and see if there is anything in there to be sent. I would delete it because obviously something isn't right with that one message (not saying it's you because I get them too) and is being a thorn. :thumbup:

And thanks, lol, but nope, just a learner not unlike yourself and everyone else.

Oh, and yes, the stay functions sort of blink on and then off. Stay is the one you will see the most as it is set based off your "screen off" duration. Because of it, I have mine set to 30 seconds, though it is sort of wasteful to have it checking every 30 seconds. But the battery is huge, so that is how I justify it to myself.

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Oh, and yes, the stay functions sort of blink on and then off. Stay is the one you will see the most as it is set based off your "screen off" duration. Because of it, I have mine set to 30 seconds, though it is sort of wasteful to have it checking every 30 seconds. But the battery is huge, so that is how I justify it to myself.

MatroxD.....I did what you told me to do with the email. No go still doing it. I had 2 emails come in. It showed 57. I dumped the 2 new emails, closed email and opened it. It zeroed out. Then a few m8n later it was showing 55. I opened and closed it, it again zeroed out. Its a pop3 road runner account. Gmail is not a problem only road runner. My email was flawless prior to the update

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Did you try to shut it down? Leave it off for a few? And I wonder if it's an issue with the device?

Can you forward your emails from the rr account to your Google for a test?

Is it doing the same on your desktop? Like showing the multiples?

Try to sit the phone down, leave it off, log onto your desktop, go to the app, check your settings, delete the mail, then ser for a few what happens on the desktop. If nothing, then restart the phone. If it does it on your desktop, it's something with the email client. If it does it when you restart the phone, I would delete the account first and try to start again. If this doesn't work, you have no choice but to forward the mail from that account.

Also, is it the same email and target person?

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Also, is it the same email and target person?

When you open email and the refresh circle turns it goes to 57. If you close the email and then reopen it it goes to zero. I did not have this problem prior to the update. It happened immediately afterwards.
I do not have the prob on the PC. Only on the GN2. I have it set for 100 emails. Are you sure about the auto resend? I did what you told me to do. Moved it from unlimited to 1. Its kind of interesting because I have to scroll down to the Last Part or towards the older email. I keep throwing them away and they keep coming back. I guess the update haunted my GN2. Im sort of pissed now cause my email was never a problem on this device.
I looked all over the op manual for the Auto resend and couldn't find anything. Hope you can help me with this.
Wish you were in Columbus.
Edit Add: I thought to tell you my home page didnt change, its still full page with feathers and the dandelion flower or whatever. AC and another op posted a entirely different background or screen with the multi window. Mine remained the same as was on the 4.1.1

Last edited:

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
So are there 57 emails actually showing? Or is it just the counter for the emails? And are you on wifi or mobile? It is hard diagnosing things like this with text. And yes, sure about the auto resend. What it should do is only try once depending on how you set it (I never set mine to auto anything because I am noided like that), then send a failed and message to your inbox. Have you recieved one at all?

But, as a safety precaution, did you delete the account on the phone and reset it? Also, is this an email going to one or multiple people? I don't know how it would be possible, but

Hopefully you don't have to do a reset. That is the last resort versus diagnosis. But it sounds very weird. It really is reminiscent of an attack, but the question would be how it got to your device. But that could be a myriad of things and ways. I just haven't "actually" heard of anyone getting hit on a cell phone yet. It's always been settings of some sort. But anything is possible these days.

Did you try something like Avg just to be on the safe side?

You really only have a few bottom line options going from simple to complex:

1. Delete the email account on the phone, clearing all data associated with it. Then recreating the account on the phone
2. Run the Road runner through Google servers and account via forwarding.
3. Factory Reset it: as long as you have things backed up, once it comes back up and you enter your information, you should be all set. The applications will be waiting for you in the past store, etc.

And it's a pain I know, but sometimes as I have learned working with computers and updates (and that is all these are to be honest), is that sometimes they hit some devices wrong. That percentile is just the error factor. But as long as it was just the update, if you factory reset, it should be fine. Otherwise, there may be underlying issues that you may have to call the roadrunner support on. It could be anything to be honest, but it's just one of those things so don't let it ruin your evening.

I will be off and on as I'm working on my tank also.

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
So are there 57 emails actually showing? Or is it just the counter for the emails? And are you on wifi or mobile? It is hard diagnosing things like this with text. And yes, sure about the auto resend. What it should do is only try once depending on how you set it (I never set mine to auto anything because I am noided like that), then send a failed and message to your inbox. Have you recieved one at all?

But, as a safety precaution, did you delete the account on the phone and reset it? Also, is this an email going to one or multiple people? I don't know how it would be possible, but

Hopefully you don't have to do a reset. That is the last resort versus diagnosis. But it sounds very weird. It really is reminiscent of an attack, but the question would be how it got to your device. But that could be a myriad of things and ways. I just haven't "actually" heard of anyone getting hit on a cell phone yet. It's always been settings of some sort. But anything is possible these days.

1. Delete the email account on the phone, clearing all data associated with it. Then recreating the account on the phone
3. Factory Reset it: as long as you have things backed up, once it comes back up and you enter your information, you should be all set. The applications will be waiting for you in the past store, etc.

And it's a pain I know, but sometimes as I have learned working with computers and updates (and that is all these are to be honest), is that sometimes they hit some devices wrong. That percentile is just the error factor. But as long as it was just the update, if you factory reset, it should be fine. Otherwise, there may be underlying issues that you may have to call the roadrunner support on. It could be anything to be honest, but it's just one of those things so don't let it ruin your evening.

Im on wifi... I tried sending from my gmail to road runner and forwarded to gmail. Both worked fine, both showed the emails immediately. They both send and receive fine.
And this time it showed 56 lol. Gmail is not misbehaving only roadrunner.

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site

MatroxD
I am still scratching my head in awe. It looks like it cleared on its own accord. To answer your question they were old messages showing up as unread! Black and white not greyed out. I had a whole series of 57, 55, 59 and the 20 and 17 and then zippo...zero. dont know but maybe I should bite my tongue.
Road Runner is on its final legs with me. If it wouldn't be for my email... "itsaRaid" I would have gone to gmail a long time ago. I dont know maybe the rr se4vers started mirroring email. Who knows.
Did you read my comment about the display. Mine remains as prior on 4.1.1
The dandelion and feathers. It didn't change

1030pm edit/add- its working great! Maybe there was a hiccup on road runner servers cause I dumped 1, 060 emails! Before it stopped misbehaving!

Last edited:

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
No, what's up with your display?

And glad it worked itself out!

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
No, what's up with your display?

And glad it worked itself out!

I still have the background that came with 4.1.1 the photos posted are different. Should the upgrade have changed that? Its the background ON the display. The display is gorgeous

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
The lock screen wallpaper. Is still the same that came with the phone. If you dlook earlier in this thread several people posted photos of their l9ck screen whic was different than mine. The question waw should the 7pgrade have change the picture or wallpaper background of the lockscreen

Ps I did the Ram clear the way you showed me. It shut down 43 apps or processes. We will see if it had anything to do with the battery usage I detected.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean?

The question was should the upgrade have changed the wallpaper or background of the lockscreen. I still have the one that came with my phone on 4.1.1.if you look at photos posted earlier in this thread they are different from previous they also show the verticle .multi task bar

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it should have. That is strange.

I haven't run into that before.

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it should have. That is strange.

I haven't run into that before.

Ha, im losing my mind. I know where I saw the lock screen pict, its in the huge update thread. Several people posted picts. Blue background with date and time. The time hour is bold the min are normal and the verticle bar on the left is showing.

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Ok, tell me dies it look like the picture I am attaching to this post?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356982713223.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356982713223.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 15

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
That's just the multi view Window. Just hold down the back arrow to make it disappear. It is a toggle basically.

And yes, I flew competition for a few years. Why, you fly? :thumbup:

Sent using Note II

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
That's just the multi view Window. Just hold down the back arrow to make it disappear. It is a toggle basically.

And yes, I flew competition for a few years. Why, you fly? :thumbup:

Sent using Note II

I Love RC helos and airplanes. Did you notice they offer a split screen in text. How do you turn it off. Or is there only 1 setting for text and email

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante