Screen auto-rotation problems after multi-window update

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
After rebooting, the auto-rotate will work, but after a few days it'll stop working, even with the toggle turned on. All sensors were fine. Sometimes apps will rotate into landscape mode and stay like that until I turn off auto-rotate. Smart rotation is turned on, but before the update, auto-rotate has always worked even with it on. So I'm inclined to think it's just a software problem.

Rebooting will solve the problem, but it'll come back after a few days. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the 4.1.2 update but I have not seen this problem. I have not enabled smart rotation, though. Do you encounter the problem even if you keep smart rotation turned off?

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully when the 4.2 JB update gets released (when will that be?) this issue will be fixed. It's a pity that this auto-rotation bug was overlooked. I shouldn't have to reboot the phone to get the screen to auto-rotate after it broke; I don't like rebooting and will generally avoid doing it unless I absolutely have to. Well, at least the reboot frequency is far less than my first phone, the Infuse 4G. Mine was such a dud that I had to reboot it every single day.

Other than the problem of screen auto-rotate not working after a few days, my Note 2 is working just as smoothly as before, if not smoother.

Last edited:

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I shouldn't have to reboot the phone to get the screen to auto-rotate after it broke; I don't like rebooting and will generally avoid doing it unless I absolutely have to.
Just curious, have you had to reboot often? In almost 2 weeks I've only rebooted once since the update and the problem has not reappeared.
(Did I just jinx myself? :D )

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Updated myself but no problems here, screen rotates not even half a second after is turned into landscape. Almost instantly. :thumbup:

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2 :D

budbay1

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've had this happen too, and it is annoying. Mine is always limited to specific apps - ie Facebook will be stuck landscape, when I close it my home screen will rotate to normal, then Chrome will open and rotate normal, go back to Facebook and it is stuck in landscape. Restarting phone had been working to fix.

Sent from the unparalleled Note 2

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, have you had to reboot often? In almost 2 weeks I've only rebooted once since the update and the problem has not reappeared.
(Did I just jinx myself? :D )

No, rebooting became somewhat of a rarity now that I have a phone that is eons better than my Infuse. As of this post, my phone's uptime is 102:44 (about 4.3 days) and still counting.

What do you mean you jinxed yourself? Did your phone just reboot on you or did the problem happen again? :p

MRBULLRED

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
For me its the YouTube application. It started after the update as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

rockinfigs

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Mine does the same thing..thought it was the phone so I exchanged it but same problem keeps happening to new phone..both times it stopped working was trying to view youtube in landscape...it wouldnt work..only a reboot would fix it..hopefully a fix is on its way.

Glerp

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Did you guys have any green camera issue after this update? I remember reading about that on the forums here but didn't know what became of it.

I'm nervous to download the update... I've been burned by ATT updates really bad before on old phones and been weary ever since.

I'm on ATT and haven't updated my note 2 yet. I have not rooted or installed any custom ROMs on my phone. Should I take the plunge and get the update or should I stay on stock shelf version? My phone works superb right now and I'd hate to jack it up.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
For me its the YouTube application. It started after the update as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

+1 Youtube always seem to be stuck in portrait and doesn't want to go into landscape.

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2 :D