notification bar question

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately at&t decided to remove that ability from ours, you do have to be rooted to change them.

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2 :D

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
i saw somewhere that you can change the quick buttons such as wif,i gps, multiview, and etc...

how can i do this?

do i need to root?

If you want it to run the way Samsung intended, yup! You need to root and install a custom rom.

All the USA carriers have butchered the phone from its original design. This is the first device I have ever said to myself that I will never return to stock.

Sent from Note 2

skafri#WN

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
This is precisely why I got the unlocked version! I'm so done with carriers and their crippling of (not cheap) devices!

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
This is precisely why I got the unlocked version! I'm so done with carriers and their crippling of (not cheap) devices!

Yes! Yes! I couldn't put my finger on "why"this bothered and bothers me so about this device, but that is it! I two of these, the Att and an internat. that I purchased after the Att stuff.

I have had a lot of phones and I think subconsciously I said to myself that I was tired of buying phones over and over every few months. I got the first note and loved it, I then watched video after video of previews and features of a fantastic device that was years ahead of anything else on the market. Not just because of the hardware, but the "software"and the "features"it was designed to be able to do!

This was a difference for me as I always purchased for technical advances. This time, it was for a feature set. The device was designed for a set of abilities that these providers decided to dismantle to fit their own reason. In essence this wasn't the device that I watched and waited for, for months! Is it because the device couldn't handle the features? Uh, no, because this was what it was "designed to do"!!! These are the features the device was designed around, it's purpose! Not the Att note, now the Verizon note, the devices name is the GALAXY NOTE and there in lays the reason. The vision and design was completely taken and dumbed down at least 75% making it just another high powered dumb phone, instead of the power house that it was designed to be. In this, I actually blame Samsung for letting them do this to their devices.

Whether, at this point they were advertised or not is irrelevant to me personally since obviously they cannot get basic things correct that they do. They can't even roll out an update correctly, so whatever on them! This is not a cheap device and with that premium, you would "think"that they would at least give all the features, but no! Thank you for development community and international versions of devices because this is ridiculous!

Sent from Note 2

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Yes! Yes! I couldn't put my finger on "why"this bothered and bothers me so about this device, but that is it! I two of these, the Att and an internat. that I purchased after the Att stuff.

I have had a lot of phones and I think subconsciously I said to myself that I was tired of buying phones over and over every few months. I got the first note and loved it, I then watched video after video of previews and features of a fantastic device that was years ahead of anything else on the market. Not just because of the hardware, but the "software"and the "features"it was designed to be able to do!

This was a difference for me as I always purchased for technical advances. This time, it was for a feature set. The device was designed for a set of abilities that these providers decided to dismantle to fit their own reason. In essence this wasn't the device that I watched and waited for, for months! Is it because the device couldn't handle the features? Uh, no, because this was what it was "designed to do"!!! These are the features the device was designed around, it's purpose! Not the Att note, now the Verizon note, the devices name is the GALAXY NOTE and there in lays the reason. The vision and design was completely taken and dumbed down at least 75% making it just another high powered dumb phone, instead of the power house that it was designed to be. In this, I actually blame Samsung for letting them do this to their devices.

Whether, at this point they were advertised or not is irrelevant to me personally since obviously they cannot get basic things correct that they do. They can't even roll out an update correctly, so whatever on them! This is not a cheap device and with that premium, you would "think"that they would at least give all the features, but no! Thank you for development community and international versions of devices because this is ridiculous!

Sent from Note 2

Attachments

• image_01.png
    image_01.png
    296.3 KB · Views: 27

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Dumbed down at least 75%?? That is a huge exaggeration!
All I see is that unrooted you can't customize the notification bar. But mine is fine as it is.
Are there like 50 things missing from any carrier's version? That is what you would need to get even close to 75%.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

proframer92

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Where did Samsung advertise that you can customize the notification-bar buttons on the AT&T Note II?

i know i saw it somewhere.....i just wanted to add the flashlight to the quick drag down bar while its locked, to use the flashlight... i am a technician and use my phone for everything

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Dumbed down at least 75%?? That is a huge exaggeration!
All I see is that unrooted you can't customize the notification bar. But mine is fine as it is.
Are there like 50 things missing from any carrier's version? That is what you would need to get even close to 75%.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Let me be more specific now.

This wasn't directed towards or at you, this was an in general post. If you feel the need to personalize, that's on you. I am done arguing with people about this. You spend your dime the way you want and I will also.

I'm on forums to discuss, not argue!

Sent from Note 2

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Let me be more specific now.

This wasn't directed towards or at you, this was an in general post. If you feel the need to personalize, that's on you. I am done arguing with people about this. You spend your dime the way you want and I will also.

I'm on forums to discuss, not argue!

Sent from Note 2
I'm not arguing, I am asking how you can say 75%. I named the one thing I see as missing, what are the others that caused you to come up with that number?

I know it wasn't aimed at me, that was my first post on the subject.

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm not arguing, I am asking how you can say 75%. I named the one thing I see as missing, what are the others that caused you to come up with that number?

I know it wasn't aimed at me, that was my first post on the subject.

There are quite a few things that are on the international and also the development versions that are in line with the "original" design thought from Samsung. For example, the multi Window. It's on there(now I'm guessing for most)but it's extremely limited compared to the Samsung design. That's to me a miss. The notification toggles is another.

I am on custom on one and carrier free on the other, so I am just going off thet things each can do compared to what it could not do with their stock rom (att and other carriers).

The time is taken to add their applications that, probably the majority of people don't care about (yes, I realize that we on this and other forums are the minority) and lol, are just wrapping their head around the basics.

But as has been said, this is not a "mainstream"device. It's intention by Samsung was not to sell the way it has, but if course they aren't going to turn down the sales.

They originally built the first one and more so this one to target artistic, professional and heavy multi tasking people. This is the whole reason for the s-pen and it's support applications. To basically eliminate or lessen the need to carry multiple devices to and from. That is their vision according to all of the documents I have ever read from Samsung.

Because of this, this device does things no other device"in one package" can do. A lot of things! But when it seems to come to carriers, they don't care about that portion of the consumers that this thing was built for. They are more concerned about dumbing it down to a DNA or a LG 5" phone.

That's not what peaked my interest. It was and always had been what I can do with the device other than make a call, during a call, during my work day and also my work evening. When I have an instant thought (lightbulb moment) or when I'm up to my neck in cat cable, hubs, switches, toning or running a signal check, interference with an offline device, need to check a wire color, scan for connection, and more.

It was designed as a tool and to Excel as a tool. My advice is to just check out some of what it was originally designed to do, then try half of it on the carrier version and you will see what I mean.

Sent from Note 2 via Tapatalk