Router relationship with wifi and Galaxy Note2

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
My 5 last phones have all had unanswered and complicated wifi issues. The browser will freeze or lock up. I sent an emil it got stuck in the out box. I turned off wifi resent email and it sent without any difficultly . I visit a large hospital that has a comprehensive wifi network for its guest. My phone finds the network and works flawlessly on it. Is it a bad router at home thats causeing the trouble? Its a linksys 2.5 gig n router wrt 330n. It cant be flashed or upgraded.
Thank you

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
It could be. We need more info about your situation. Is your phone stock? What security are you using on the network? Did you disable att smart wifi? Have you tried a factory reset? I'll subscribe to this and help all I can. My own issues work wifi on this phone may be of use to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
It could be. We need more info about your situation. Is your phone stock? What security are you using on the network? Did you disable att smart wifi? Have you tried a factory reset? I'll subscribe to this and help all I can. My own issues work wifi on this phone may be of use to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Uribam.....im on a AT&T SGH1317 GN2. All stock. No games. In past migrated from a Moto Atrix4g, Sammy S2, Atrix2, HTC OneX and now GN2.
Ohio Health has a incredible wifi network for guests. I was in the hospital for almost a week with the GN2. I did not have issues with wifi there. Im am entering text at this moment at Starbucks with no apparant issues on wifi. Seems like its at home only. My gut feeling is the Linksys Router.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem. Mine turned out to be a network security issue. I was so sure it was the note, but I was mistaken.
Do you have the home router secured with a password? Mine is open. The reason my phone wouldn't gain Internet access was because WPS was enabled on an unsecured network. When I disabled WPS entirely it worked.
Try to set it up as unsecured with WPS completely disabled and see if it works anyway. If so, it tells you the problem is in the router settings.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem. Mine turned out to be a network security issue. I was so sure it was the note, but I was mistaken.
Do you have the home router secured with a password? Mine is open. The reason my phone wouldn't gain Internet access was because WPS was enabled on an unsecured network. When I disabled WPS entirely it worked.
Try to set it up as unsecured with WPS completely disabled and see if it works anyway. If so, it tells you the problem is in the router settings.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

The Linksys WRT330n is secured by a password. The hard part is the history of the phones I had. The OneX had and still has horrible wifi radio issues. It was replced by HTC. Same thing on #2.
I spoke to Linksys several weeks ago. The router is 5-6 years old if not older at this point. They said there is no update for the ????? (Forgot what she called it) said its their legacy router.
If I go to a website.. the green bar will periodically move a litlle stop, move a little and then totally stops. If I reset the router (power) it will work fine for a short period of time and then the lag, freezing starts over again , (browser) and the no connection warnings start again. If you hit try again it usually works. It has to be how the router is communicating with the GN2.
Whats really funny is here I am sitting in Starbucks plinking away at this enote to you and you know how crappy wifi is at Starbucks... Damned GN2 is performing like a Raptor Fighter! Unbelievable!

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the wifi is great assuming you can get it working. Try unsecuring it like I said. If it doesnt work buy a cheap router and see if that works. If it works unsecured, you won't have to spend any money on another router. The fact it's working with other devices leads me to believe it is a setting. If it works unsecured set it back the way you had it and we can begin troubleshooting the router settings. Good luck!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Central Forums

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the wifi is great assuming you can get it working. Try unsecuring it like I said. If it doesnt work buy a cheap router and see if that works. If it works unsecured, you won't have to spend any money on another router. The fact it's working with other devices leads me to believe it is a setting. If it works unsecured set it back the way you had it and we can begin troubleshooting the router settings. Good luck!

Just a quick note...you said its working "with other devices". I have had 5 phones all of which had same or similar difficulties with wifi at home using the same router.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick note...you said its working "with other devices". I have had 5 phones all of which had same or similar difficulties with wifi at home using the same router.

This is true. Buy a new router if you're pretty sure that's the issue. I was just trying to save you a buck :p

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I remember that router! Lol, that one and the 160!:thumbdown::rolleyes:

I had tons of issues with them. Agreed that I switched to netgear and haven't had problems since. It's the router dude!

Normally I'm not that "I'm sure of it" stance, but those things are nightmares! I hit mine with hammers. No lie!

Sent from Note 2 via Tapatalk