My Note 2 does everything I want, and more! 4.1.2 has automatically downloaded wirelessly and I am not interested in rooting. But I find it difficult to get basic information about how to manage the phone. The 7100 manual only describes the features. Where can I get answers to these sorts of questions:
    . How can I control/reduce battery drain?
    . Are all apps on and using power unless I turn them off?
    . How do I turn off apps I don't need, or will never use?
    . In Application Manager, what is the effect of clearing the caches?
    . What is Samsung Push Service? It seems to use a lot of battery. Can it be turned off?
    . What are DSMLawmo and DSMLForwarding?
    . Has anyone written or published a Note 2 Guide that really explains all the features of the phone and how to use them?

Sorry if this sounds elementary, but not everyone wants or needs to explore kernels.
    cyndiy777 likes this.
    01-13-2013 05:02 PM
    Mmmm, I dunno too much about the battery part as mine lasts all day till I need sleep but clearing cache just removes any temporary files that the phone uses to open up an app faster. Clearing it out wont damage anything but clearing data on the other hand will delete any data stored by that particular app. So unless your deleting it on purpose I suggest not doing it lol. Enjoy your note 2 friend! :thumbup:

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2
    01-13-2013 05:41 PM
    Advanced task killer app can manage running apps automatically. I have mine set to auto kill apps every thirty minutes. Though some apps youll still have to manually kill.

Other than that, set your brightness to a little under half and leave it there and you should have at least ten hours of heavy non gaming use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
    01-13-2013 06:15 PM
    Advanced task killer app can manage running apps automatically. I have mine set to auto kill apps every thirty minutes. Though some apps youll still have to manually kill.

Other than that, set your brightness to a little under half and leave it there and you should have at least ten hours of heavy non gaming use.

In google play...Samsung has a Note2 User Guide...very helpful
    01-13-2013 07:01 PM
    My Note 2 does everything I want, and more! 4.1.2 has automatically downloaded wirelessly and I am not interested in rooting. But I find it difficult to get basic information about how to manage the phone. The 7100 manual only describes the features. Where can I get answers to these sorts of questions:
    . How can I control/reduce battery drain?
    . Are all apps on and using power unless I turn them off?
    . How do I turn off apps I don't need, or will never use?
    . In Application Manager, what is the effect of clearing the caches?
    . What is Samsung Push Service? It seems to use a lot of battery. Can it be turned off?
    . What are DSMLawmo and DSMLForwarding?
    . Has anyone written or published a Note 2 Guide that really explains all the features of the phone and how to use them?

Sorry if this sounds elementary, but not everyone wants or needs to explore kernels.
    To reduce drain on the battery, turn off GPS, wifi, bluetooth, mobile data etc. when you don't need them. When I leave for work in the morning I turn off wifi and turn on mobile data, GPS and bt. Then when I get there I disable bt and GPS.
    Android manages your apps and ram. Don't worry about it.
    Clearing caches removes temp files as an above poster has stated. Don't bother doing this unless you have issues with an app misbehaving.
    Push services is what allows you to get notifications. Best to leave that alone.
    I think dsm stuff has to do with exchange accounts but I can't be certain. It doesn't bother me anyway.

Hope I've helped a little.

01-13-2013 08:49 PM
    To reduce drain on the battery, turn off GPS, wifi, bluetooth, mobile data etc. when you don't need them. When I leave for work in the morning I turn off wifi and turn on mobile data, GPS and bt. Then when I get there I disable bt and GPS.
    Android manages your apps and ram. Don't worry about it.
    Clearing caches removes temp files as an above poster has stated. Don't bother doing this unless you have issues with an app misbehaving.
    Push services is what allows you to get notifications. Best to leave that alone.
    I think dsm stuff has to do with exchange accounts but I can't be certain. It doesn't bother me anyway.

Hope I've helped a little.

Attached Thumbnails Note 2 Basic Life-image_04.png  
    Scott Kenyon and MatroxD like this.
    01-13-2013 10:38 PM

Thanks for advice. I have installed ATK and it seems to have immediately slowed down the rate of battery drain. Read all the comments first and was a bit put off by half giving it 5 stars and the other half 1 star. Probably differences in the handsets. Haven't fully worked out how to control it, but this is a good start.
    01-14-2013 04:54 AM
    Thanks for advice. I have installed ATK and it seems to have immediately slowed down the rate of battery drain. Read all the comments first and was a bit put off by half giving it 5 stars and the other half 1 star. Probably differences in the handsets. Haven't fully worked out how to control it, but this is a good start.
    Over time ATK will drain your battery more and cause lag. Auto killing in itself takes up power. Not to mention killing services that your Android system is caching and will take have to reopen any way. I just wouldn't use this in general.

If you want to conserve battery just shut down data and wifi when not in use.

Dsm apps you mentioned I believe are "Direct Share management" I remember this being discussed along time ago but don't remember the exact answer. I think it was part of wifi tethering functionality.

Since you don't want to root you can try disabling apps you don't want to use
    Settings> application manager>all> app you want to disable> force stop> disable
    I don't think this will work on some apps. I would test this for you on what you can disable but I'm running a custom rom so much of the unwanted unneeded did is long gone.

Samsung push services notifies you when samsung apps have updates. you can disable this but if you are using the samsung app store it will renabled itself upon opening the app store I believe.

Clearing cache. Cache stores temporary data to help that specific application to run faster. For instance of you go to a web page for the first time it can take awhile to load because of pictures and things like that. But your application can cache this Page so next time you go to open it the Page will load very quickly. Most of the time a well coded application will handle the gathering and deletion of cache memory but sometimes this is unreliable and you must manually clear the apps cache. If cache file becomes to large it wastes space and in some cases can cause conflicts. For instance let's use the browser example again. Let's say a certain webpage is cached so that you can open it quickly but that same webpage has been changed since the last time you visited this may cause a conflict and will not let the page load correctly , clearing cache could correct this issue.

I hope I have helped a little
    From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    01-14-2013 06:52 AM
    DroidXcon
    First, thank you for all the excellent help you have been to me, I am grateful. I was hopeful by now that a real time comprehensive log would be availble regarding the 4.1.2 update, changes, adds-deletes and enhancments.
    I have disabled a bunch of AT&T apps, your explanation of the Samsung Push, was a first for me, because I didnt see it in manage apps> running, on 4.1.1. Cetainly, chaton, and several other samsung apps originally came with 4.1.1. I paid attention to what was running in Mapps. Everything is or was the same, (installed apps). After the 4.1.2 update there was alot more stuff running in manage apps. BTW I have always had wifi on, I did not want to have problems with ATT and data issues.
    I had some incredible battery time on 4.1.1. The update changed that. According to Samsung, some changes were made to wifi and the OS and as a resullt is the root cause of the Battery Performance change. Its hard to judge because I find it more benficial to listen to you or other forum members.
    The GN2 remains very exciting to me, we are about to witness a Display Technology War and I think Samsung is going to give everyone else a kick in the bootie when they release whats coming next. I hope contrast rattios and brightness will go up as well.
    Im not using chat on, S-suggest, music hub and media hub. Should I disable them? Someone said turn multi window off when your not using it. Are these things I listed big battery users.
    01-14-2013 12:13 PM
    Hi there. I'm still on 4.1.1 and my battery lasts for 1.5 - 2 days. But not keen on wasting battery so I also disabled some stock apps. Somewhere (think xda developers) I found a post with a list of apps safe to disable and other you should not touch. If you search I'm sure you will find it.
    The other thing I did was to install Llama (from Google Play) which switches off WiFi when I leave home and changes notification profiles (and much more).
    The GN2 seems very clever, when WiFi is ON the Mobile Data icon disappears, and the GPS icon only blinks once in a while, so IMO there is no point switching them off since they only work when needed and therefore are not wasting lots of battery... but I could be wrong.
    I suggest to keep checking the battery in settings to see which app is using more, on mine is Google Maps.

Good luck!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums
    01-14-2013 12:41 PM
    DroidXcon
    First, thank you for all the excellent help you have been to me, I am grateful. I was hopeful by now that a real time comprehensive log would be availble regarding the 4.1.2 update, changes, adds-deletes and enhancments.
    I have disabled a bunch of AT&T apps, your explanation of the Samsung Push, was a first for me, because I didnt see it in manage apps> running, on 4.1.1. Cetainly, chaton, and several other samsung apps originally came with 4.1.1. I paid attention to what was running in Mapps. Everything is or was the same, (installed apps). After the 4.1.2 update there was alot more stuff running in manage apps. BTW I have always had wifi on, I did not want to have problems with ATT and data issues.
    I had some incredible battery time on 4.1.1. The update changed that. According to Samsung, some changes were made to wifi and the OS and as a resullt is the root cause of the Battery Performance change. Its hard to judge because I find it more benficial to listen to you or other forum members.
    The GN2 remains very exciting to me, we are about to witness a Display Technology War and I think Samsung is going to give everyone else a kick in the bootie when they release whats coming next. I hope contrast rattios and brightness will go up as well.
    Im not using chat on, S-suggest, music hub and media hub. Should I disable them? Someone said turn multi window off when your not using it. Are these things I listed big battery users.
    I'm glad I could be of help. I really doubt there will be a comprehensive break down of the update as the average user does not really care they just update and Walk away. . If you don't need those apps or functions go head and disable them if you don't use them it can't make battery worse.....wifi changes can certainly change battery life, if Samsung set it up to scan more often it would drain faster. Is this the main cause? I can't say. But data, wifi, gps, and cell signals are usually the biggest battery hogs besides the screen so I try to keep them off when I don't need them. ......

Dispaly war..I happen to work for the company that Develops OLED technologies. Samsung pays us for using oled molecules and device structures. OLED in the long run will win. The only reason lcd is still in the game is because it has over 20 yrs of development more than OLEDs. Also there are not many factories manufacturing OLED tech yet. Its a technology in its infancy and its already giving lcd a run for its money.

I don't have an answer on the multi windows thing but I don't image its draining Battery since its just a separate app drawer until you drag out an app. Once you are using multiple apps then it uses more power, but I don't know about the app multi Window app drawer..

01-14-2013 12:50 PM
    Has anyone written or published a Note 2 Guide that really explains all the features of the phone and how to use them?
    The Daily Note II: Galaxy Note 2 Vids - YouTube
    01-14-2013 04:09 PM
    Over time ATK will drain your battery more and cause lag. Auto killing in itself takes up power. Not to mention killing services that your Android system is caching and will take have to reopen any way. I just wouldn't use this in general.

Dsm apps you mentioned I believe are "Direct Share management" I remember this being discussed along time ago but don't remember the exact answer. I think it was part of wifi tethering functionality.

I don't think this will work on some apps. I would test this for you on what you can disable but I'm running a custom rom so much of the unwanted unneeded did is long gone.

Samsung push services notifies you when samsung apps have updates. you can disable this but if you are using the samsung app store it will renabled itself upon opening the app store I believe.

Clearing cache. Cache stores temporary data to help that specific application to run faster. For instance of you go to a web page for the first time it can take awhile to load because of pictures and things like that. But your application can cache this Page so next time you go to open it the Page will load very quickly. Most of the time a well coded application will handle the gathering and deletion of cache memory but sometimes this is unreliable and you must manually clear the apps cache. If cache file becomes to large it wastes space and in some cases can cause conflicts. For instance let's use the browser example again. Let's say a certain webpage is cached so that you can open it quickly but that same webpage has been changed since the last time you visited this may cause a conflict and will not let the page load correctly , clearing cache could correct this issue.

01-15-2013 11:20 PM

Thanks indeed for the time you took to write this helpful note. I am sure a large number of people just use their Note as is and don't feel the need to mess with it. Just the minimum tweaking to get rid of unwanted apps is all I have time for. My greatest use is wi-fi for researching, reading, books. The phone is for emergencies when away from home, but it enables me to keep up with news, manage all my banking and find the nearest place for diesel. As for the apps, I'm surprised the system isn't set up to have apps shut off as the default position, and call them up when needed. Given these things run on battery, the screen accounts for a large basic drain, and there are so many useful apps available, it seems counter-productive to have them all sitting there chewing up power. BTW do your remarks about ATK also apply to Juice Defender? It seems well regarded and popular. Again, thanks.
    01-15-2013 11:22 PM
    Thanks indeed for the time you took to write this helpful note. I am sure a large number of people just use their Note as is and don't feel the need to mess with it. Just the minimum tweaking to get rid of unwanted apps is all I have time for. My greatest use is wi-fi for researching, reading, books. The phone is for emergencies when away from home, but it enables me to keep up with news, manage all my banking and find the nearest place for diesel. As for the apps, I'm surprised the system isn't set up to have apps shut off as the default position, and call them up when needed. Given these things run on battery, the screen accounts for a large basic drain, and there are so many useful apps available, it seems counter-productive to have them all sitting there chewing up power. BTW do your remarks about ATK also apply to Juice Defender? It seems well regarded and popular. Again, thanks.
    They are set up to be off and called when needed. You see the apps as running but unless they are designed to run in the background they are not really running. They are in a cached state ready even when you switch apps if it isn't meant to run it remains in a frozen snapshot type of state.
    I never use juice defender since i am a heavy phone user. That is s good app if you don't look at your phone for hours at a time. It essentially puts your radios into a deep sleep. The same way i suggested just turning on off your wifi and data, but this puts them to sleep then when you go to turn them back on it wakes them up. Waking up the connections and connecting to data can take a min or so to lock on. In some cases you need to toggle the data switches or reboot the phone. As a heavy user this can be very annoying, i would rather just toggle data on when i need it.

01-16-2013 01:50 AM