Security update for AT&T Note 2

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
It turns out that the Verizon and T-Mobile models have gotten the update. Sprint and AT&T are the two of the major four carriers left to update the phone. So, when do you all think the update will be released on AT&T?

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure every carrier will get it. The biggest only affects certain models of the exynos processor. I thought I had checked in the past and our model wasn't affected. I could be wrong...

Sent via Tapatalk

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Its possible it was done prior to the 4.1.2 update. AT&T is doing "Automatic" updates..no notice. I had the red and grey arrows appear next to the AT&T icon upper left.. in notifications it stated "Connecting with DNR server". When I queried them about this they affirmed what I was questioning was a unannounced update!

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Its possible it was done prior to the 4.1.2 update. AT&T is doing "Automatic" updates..no notice. I had the red and grey arrows appear next to the AT&T icon upper left.. in notifications it stated "Connecting with DNR server". When I queried them about this they affirmed what I was questioning was a unannounced update!

According to SAMSUNG, the multi-window update also includes "device improvements", though I don't know what exactly they are. Does anyone know what other improvements have been made from the update, besides multi-window? Maybe the security issue was already patched by this update?

jdub, all models of the Note 2, even the U.S. models, use the same Exynos 4412 CPU that is vulnerable. At least, that's what I'm aware of. At the very least, I know that the U.S. models also use Exynos.

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I even posted a open letter to the Mods asking that Phil, Chris or Alex try to get a detailed add delete enhancement log of both updates, the silent one by AT&T and the 4.1.2 update. Seems like several Top Notch XDA people have tried as well. So far nothing tangible has been posted in a detailed form. Not looking for Computer gibberish log, looking for a simple lay person change log so we can understand what was done. I dont know why AT&T wont fork it over. Their the ones holding the key.

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I even posted a open letter to the Mods asking that Phil, Chris or Alex try to get a detailed add delete enhancement log of both updates, the silent one by AT&T and the 4.1.2 update. Seems like several Top Notch XDA people have tried as well. So far nothing tangible has been posted in a detailed form. Not looking for Computer gibberish log, looking for a simple lay person change log so we can understand what was done. I dont know why AT&T wont fork it over. Their the ones holding the key.

Maybe it's because there might be some people who don't understand the techno jargon? AT&T isn't the only one who is holding off on telling us what exactly some update did. Check out the change logs for the updates for the Note 2 on the other carriers; they're pretty much the same.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The Exynos security issue does affect the ATT model and it was not patched with the multi window update. I rooted my GN2 using the exynos abuse exploit method after I updated with multi window. Easiest root I ever did...just downloaded a apk and it rooted my phone. Chainfire developed an apk exploit to root the phone using the security vulnerability. The app also can patch the exynos problem but it breaks the camera so I did not patch mine. Be careful on what you are downloading etc and you should be okay.

Still need a permanent fix by Samsung though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22