Note II Constantly Loses Signal

masterlin1

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
So I broke my Note I last Saturday and had to get a new phone, I chose the Note II since I liked my original Note so much.

However, I'm getting pretty frustrated with it, it never seems to have a solid carrier signal. My original Note had some issues with getting a signal, but I knew where to place my phone in certain areas of the house (where I knew connections were spotty) in order to get a signal so I could get calls and texts.

The Note II? It seems to constantly fail to receive texts in a timely manner (I've been routinely getting SMS texts 1-2 hours after they were sent) even in spots of the house where I KNOW the connection is fine. I also seem to regularly get the "failed to send" error in my texts in areas of the house where I never had any issue.

I'm a big texter, it's how my friends and I communicate, so it's getting pretty frustrating. Anyone have this problem? Any possible solutions at all? If not, I may end up returning the thing.

Also, when I go to Settings > About Device > Status this is what comes up:

Signal strength
-114 dbm 27 asu ---> Can anyone tell me if this is good or not?

Service state
In service

Mobile network state
Disconnected --> Is it supposed to say this? I see the AT&T logo on the top left and it says I have 2 bars

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a microcell? I believe whike on wifi you are using it instead of mobile network. Might test this to see if thst is the reason you are disconnected.

Sent via Tapatalk

masterlin1

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Nope, no Microcell, never needed it.

EDIT: So managed to fix the problem, the default APN my phone came with was wrong I think. Under APN type it didn't have the term "hipri" so I made a new APN with the same settings for everything else, but added "hipri" to APN type so it reads default,supl,mms,hipri now.

Last edited:

destefmx6

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Glad it worked. How did you find the proper APN number for your area?
Nope, no Microcell, never needed it.

EDIT: So managed to fix the problem, the default APN my phone came with was wrong I think. Under APN type it didn't have the term "hipri" so I made a new APN with the same settings for everything else, but added "hipri" to APN type so it reads default,supl,mms,hipri now.

masterlin1

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem.
If you don't mind, please post screen shots of all your APNs settings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Here's what I'm using:

Name: AT&T 4G
APN: phone
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
User name: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,supl,mms,hipri,dun
APN protocol: IPv4
Enable/disable APN: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified

---
A consistent thing I found online was that the inclusion of the phrase "hipri" under APN type seemed to improve a lot of people's connections. I showed my cousin this and it worked for him as well using a Nexus 4 on T-Mobile.

Heifzilla

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting. I've been having the same exact issue on my at&t Note 2 and it's really annoying. I'm trying this fix and hope it helps.

Sent from my Note 2

ELTOCO

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
You,re not alone,if youre device is STOCK take it to warranty,it seems to be radio trans.issue. not the FM radio If your device has been jail breaked , you have the super user app. etc then you need a new ROM and maybe imei.. This device should be unlocked only by code *#1973.....etc. if not it will EDGE you to frustration no matter which sim apn or network you try.hope it works for you.
:cool:

Nick94928

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
@maserlin1: You are the man...THANK YOU!!! I have been plagued with bad reception (as my area is weak anyway), but this has helped immensely! Again, thank you! :)

Edit:
I was still plagued with weak reception, even got AT&T to send me a MicroCell as calls were dropping at home. I tried rom after rom going from Android 4.1.1 to 4.4.2 and they all had bad reception. I read about people putting wires and things in the external antenna port, but decided against that as I also read that LOTS of people damaged their phone doing that and had to replace the phone. Well, I decided to wipe the phone and normally I wipe Dalvic Cache, Cache, System and Data, then install a new rom...but this time I was going to go back to the original recovery and rom and start all over so I wiped the Internal Cache as well this time, BUT I could not find a stock recovery to install, so I went back to 4.1.1...to my surprise, once I rebooted my reception was strong! I then went back to my nandroid backups and loaded various roms...they were all strong!
Point is, make sure if you are having reception problems to wipe the phone completely (remove your SDCard if you don't want to lose what you have on that) then try reinstalling the rom and see if your reception comes back. Mine has been solid since and this is the longest I have had good reception in a long time. I am back on Android 4.4.2 and my reception is working great again! :)

Last edited:

dgleon1016

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Thank you just set up this apn will try it out tomorrow at work since i have the most signal fluctuations over there will provide an update because this dropping of signal is indeed frustrating

tebee57

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Where did you go to completely clear the cache i was just given a note 2 and mine is doing the exact same thing I have strong signal everywhere except my house.
tebee