So I tried GoSMS and as soon as I got a garbage text advertising their service, I set a speed record on uninstalling the app. I tried handcent and liked it somewhat and even though I couldn't figure out how to activate the themes (darker screen for vanity and also less battery drain on the big screen with a light background) it wasn't a big deal. They seemed to be the clear winner. Did I mention the popup quick reply was the best feature any sms could have? The only problem is, the popup quick reply didn't work quite right. It would pop up displaying old messages that were already read and not displaying the sms that was just received. So I guess the best option is just sticking with the standard "came with my phone" SMS app.
    "
    MatroxD likes this.
    02-15-2013 11:13 AM
    I have tried others as well. Im now back to stock.

Sent via Tapatalk
    02-15-2013 12:07 PM
    Try ChompSMS - no spam & no extra junk.
    Link--> https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.p1.chompsms
    02-15-2013 12:10 PM
    stock is cool, when it doesn't lag.. so I use messaging 7. it's faster & more customizable. there's also a new app with a few bugs here & there called: sliding messaging.

Sent from my HTC One V using Android Central Forums
    02-15-2013 12:16 PM
    Yeah factory is better no bugs usually i have been having issues with handcentSMS.
    02-15-2013 12:18 PM
    Same here, tried others quickly and did your "lightning dash to remove"!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Joshua O likes this.
    02-15-2013 02:50 PM
    Tried other SMS apps as well and kept returning to the stock app.

I wanted a quick reply feature and tried SMS Popup but the notification/badge wouldn't disappear after closing or quick replying but found an app called glowfly (.99cents) that works perfectly with the stock messaging app. Works great, very happy.
    02-16-2013 12:54 AM
    I used Handcent SMS for the longest time (through a Nexus One, Skyrocket, and Note 2), just because of the quick reply feature. Now I took someone's suggestion and went back to stock, but I use SMS Popup for the popup feature. It works pretty well. It does fall victim to the issue you don't like, though. Sometimes messages I've already read will show up because I didn't properly mark them as read.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...51bGwsMSwyLDNd
    02-16-2013 10:31 AM
    Well I have GoSMS Pro since Nov last year, and I have a total of about 5 or 6 spam text messages advertising their "holiday" themes. I guess it would be about 2 per month. I really don't mind it much as I am using a free app. I really want to use a stock message app, but the lack of group message support and the stupid MMS slideshow really made it unusable. About 80% of my text are group messages from iPhones. GoSMS Pro is still not perfect though. It lags badly when the group messages are coming in and you are trying to type a response. It is really hard to get a word in when your family is chain texting!
    02-18-2013 08:57 AM
    I used Handcent SMS for the longest time (through a Nexus One, Skyrocket, and Note 2), just because of the quick reply feature. Now I took someone's suggestion and went back to stock, but I use SMS Popup for the popup feature. It works pretty well. It does fall victim to the issue you don't like, though. Sometimes messages I've already read will show up because I didn't properly mark them as read.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...51bGwsMSwyLDNd
    I just installed this and I can't wait to see how well it works.
    Free is always better, if it doesn';t quite work the way I like it, I will try that glowfly
    02-18-2013 09:20 AM