How to never update an app

Joshua O

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
How do I arrange so that my phone will never update an app that I have installed? I am likely to at some point click install all, while not thinking about it. No, I am not rooted.
The app in question is pie control. The update displays ad banners which I want to avoid. I like it enough I would pay $0.99 for it, but they don't offer a pro version yet.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
How do I arrange so that my phone will never update an app that I have installed? I am likely to at some point click install all, while not thinking about it. No, I am not rooted.
The app in question is pie control. The update displays ad banners which I want to avoid. I like it enough I would pay $0.99 for it, but they don't offer a pro version yet.

Our if you just don't want that one to update, uncheck "auto update" at the "home page" of that app at the play store.

Sent from the AWESOME Note 2 of a girl :)

Joshua O

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I guess if I took the time to turn on all the automatic updates for the apps I don't mind updating I can just skip the manual updates and have nothing to worry about. That is until another sneaks in and does the same thing. On my iPhone, I would just backup the file itself on my Mac, and if I ever did goof and update the wrong one, I could simply take the backup and over write it.

BoredandTattooed

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
In the Play Store, only if you disable the app in settings I believe.. there is a turn off notifications option, now that I check, it looks like it'll turn off notifications...

Here's a screen shot of what happens when you uncheck it..

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361686448433.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361686448433.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 26

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I guess if I took the time to turn on all the automatic updates for the apps I don't mind updating I can just skip the manual updates and have nothing to worry about. That is until another sneaks in and does the same thing. On my iPhone, I would just backup the file itself on my Mac, and if I ever did goof and update the wrong one, I could simply take the backup and over write it.

You can set the default to not update automatically then choose to check to update automatically if you want when you install it.

Joshua O

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I realize this isn't a big dilemma, but I would imagine that I am not the first one to notice this. The droid community had a bunch of geniuses in it. Surely someone found a way.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I realize this isn't a big dilemma, but I would imagine that I am not the first one to notice this. The droid community had a bunch of geniuses in it. Surely someone found a way.

I have always done it per app. I have the default to automatically update and uncheck the very few that I don't want to auto update.

universeand

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

If you installed from the Play store turn off update at the same place you installed from.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

mojosingle

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Wow, the Play store is full of so many comments that start off with "This used to be a good app til the latest update ruined it..." that I cannot imagine setting auto update on anything. It would be heartbreaking to have one of my favorite apps destroyed by some over enthusiastic code writer.

My policy is to let others be the guinea pigs for the latest app "improvements." I always wait at least a week or more to see if an update leads to problems before allowing it on my phone.

Joshua O

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Wow, the Play store is full of so many comments that start off with "This used to be a good app til the latest update ruined it..." that I cannot imagine setting auto update on anything. It would be heartbreaking to have one of my favorite apps destroyed by some over enthusiastic code writer.
My policy is to let others be the guinea pigs for the latest app "improvements." I always wait at least a week or more to see if an update leads to problems before allowing it on my phone.

You have a very valid point. I try to read what is being updated before I do it, and the reviews at the bottom are the best thing anyone has ever thought of.

The goal is to just not get in a hurry and blindly hit buttons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995