Love my Note 2, considering rooting it but have questions.

grmrsan

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I love my phone, and can usually manage to live with bloatware, but all the duplicate programs are driving me insane. If I root it, will it get rid of Samsung programs altogether and just give me the Jellybean stuff or will it allow me to pick and choose what I want? If I screw it up, can I reset it to factory? How easy is it to screw up? Thanks in advance for your help.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Rooting does nothing but give you access to the file system. Think of it as administrator rights for a pc. Once you are rooted you can then flash a new recovery. You have to flash a new recovery inorder to flash a new rom as it is done in this recovery mode.

All roms are made different, you will need to read up on the different roms to see if they will give you what you want.

I use att cleanrom 1.2 if you arent on att you can use cleanrom ace 4.5. During install of the rom you are given a nice touch interface and check or uncheck all the things you want to keep or get rid of. They usually come with all the bloatware removed as well.

Yes you can go back to stock if you want though that is a little harder and you will need a few programs to remove all traces of root from your phone.

Yes you can damage your phone but only if you dont follow directions. Read read read and read the steps again. Its fairly straight forward process, takes maybe 3 minutes to apply the root. Use cfautoroot for this. Download goomanager after root from the playstore. Use this to flash open recovery script. After thats done download your rom and put it in folder easily locatable on your device. Load goomanager and tell it to flash your rom. Your device will reboot and if cleanrom is what you are installing you will be greeted with a nice interface. I do not recommend removing the samsung apps you will need those for some nice apps like photo editor.

Sent via Tapatalk

tina popielski

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I wondered what rooting meant...

I actually downloaded an app (File OS, I think), which gives me access to the root files. I discovered that things are always so different when I switch phones...sometimes I can download something and specify where I want it to download to, on other phones I can't. With this particular app, I can go to the download folder and move files to my SD Card. For example, on the Motorola Electrify M, my latest phone, stuff downloads directly to the download folder, which isn't "visible" using the standard "Files" app already installed. With the app mentioned above, I was able to locate this "hidden" folder (sdcard0) and then move the files to my regular SD card (sdcard1).