07-03-2014 01:11 PM
78 1234
tools
    You might try deleting the thread to clear out old messages. And delete individual threads from the other participants. I think the SMS database can get large enough to slow the app down when it's trying to move messages around.
    I can try that to see if that helps. But I don't that's it though since I had the same problem since I first started using Go SMS when the threads barely have anything in it. You could think that just copying short ASCII text from one thread to another shouldn't cause that much lag.

For the people who use Handcents. Is there any lag in group chat if more than 5 people are chatting at the same time? Maybe I should switch to try it out.
    06-20-2013 01:39 PM
    Steps for getting group text with handcent to work on AT&T note 2

1 . download handcent
    2. From main conversation list view, hit your left touch key, bringing up a menu.
    3. Select settings, then application settings.
    4. Scroll down and select thread group conversation.
    5. Hit your right touch key to go back 1 screen, and click on send message settings.
    6. Select send as split threads,
    7. Hit your right touch key to go back 1 screen, and click on receive message settings.
    8. Select auto retrieve, roaming auto retrieve, and auto download.

I set handcent as my default messaging app initially, then within my stock messaging app, set that back to the default messaging app. I use handcent only for group texting. It seems to lag a bit with large groups or if you have a lot of other stuff running. Also unsure if the roaming auto retrieve is necessary, but that is what I have set and it works.

Reboot after updating settings and feel free to hit me up with any questions. Honestly no clue how I figured this out, just a lot of trial and error while taking some good poops. Absurd we have to do this to group text.
    I have a SG3 with 4.1.2 on Sprint that would not do group texts. I already had already tried GoSMS and Handcent to no avail. However, this procedure worked. The only thing is that it takes longer to download group messages now. Here's the other weird thing. Now GoSMS, Handcent, and the stock message app all group texts in one thread. The only difference is in the stock app, it doesn't identify who the incoming texts are from--you would have to click on message details to see that. Weird.
    06-21-2013 02:03 PM
    I have had the same issues with group texting and the Note ll. I have found that Facebook Messenger works seamlessly and gives the added benefit of chat heads. Go to settings, text messaging, turn on text messaging, use as main texting app and then notifications, turn on chat heads.

Everyone does not need to be on Facebook. You do not get a pop up notification, instead get a small circle icon with a picture of the person texting you with the text shown as a notification. Works for me.
    06-28-2013 06:20 AM
    Everyone does not need to be on Facebook.
    But they do have to install the FB Messenger app, right? So, no use for group texting with people who have not or don't want to install that?
    06-28-2013 11:22 AM
    No you don't have to have fb messenger to chat back with it. You can enable it to send sms as your default messaging app. So they just receive an sms like normal. Unless you send it as a fb message. Also you can even group fb message with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-02-2013 09:00 PM
    I just stared using Facebook Messenger last week and I have to say it works out really well. It works seamlessly with the Note 2 almost like it should be part of the Android OS. I love the chathead (the circle thing). Ever since I left the iPhone, I really missed iMessage where I could talk to my nieces and nephews who only got iPod Touch or iPad without a phone. But since they all got Facebook, I could talk to them. And my wife is currently in another country where I could not TXT her. But again, Facebook messenger works better than iMessage and across both iOS and Android platforms.

I liked it so much that I started using it for my normal SMS and MMS also. It seems faster than Go SMS and No stupid ADs. If it kept on going well, I will delete go sms all together.
    07-11-2013 09:20 AM
    were you able to get it to work? I'm about to return my S4, i'm really upset about it because i switched over from iphone BUT i'm not receiving important messages from friends! I just downloaded Go Pro SMS and enabled the MMS setting you mentioned - any further ideas? This is so frustrating!!
    07-18-2013 12:31 PM
    I have the Sony Xperia & I really need group messaging. I've downloaded 4 apps & none of them work. HELP!!!!!
    07-21-2013 12:41 PM
    I used AT&T messages before. That worked pretty good with group messaging.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 2
    07-26-2013 11:35 AM
    Did they ever update this where group texting works better with the standard messaging app?
    09-04-2013 04:08 PM
    I have a galaxy note 3. I got a "group" text today. Can someone please tell me how you get that option from the stock phone software.. Does it have to be a certain phone to certain phone. Or certain service providers, ect....
    10-24-2013 07:27 PM
    I am trying to find a MASS Text Message app that works well.
    My dilemna is this...
    I am a youth pastor and have google groups made up of 20, 30 or even up to 50 people in the group.
    Stock app only lets me send 20 messages.
    I need an app that will send out to the WHOLE group with one click and I need to not spend my time typing in individual names to create the group I want to send to.
    Hence why I made them a group in the first place.
    Do you know of any app that works well for this?
    I had Chomp, but it just crashed for some reason and it always made me click "Yes I want to send this message" for EVERY message going out.. Hence a group of 60 means I tap YES 60 times...
    What do you reccomend?
    Dale Sexton and Vanessa Lam like this.
    11-07-2013 09:20 AM
    I'm not sure if there is any one app that will let you do that without the kids also having the same app. I know you can have up to 50 people in a group chat on whatsapp but they all have to have the app downloaded to do that. Your best bet is honestly Facebook messenger. You could also create a private Facebook page where only people you allow have access to it and can see what's posted and comment on it. You can also create private events this way. (You can also name your group chat in messenger)

As for group texting Google hangouts has the new update which gives it a group messaging feature similar to the iphones imessage (I like hangouts much better though). Don't think you can message 60 people with it but I've also never tried.
    Vanessa Lam likes this.
    11-10-2013 04:29 PM
    Hmmm do you really want to group text 50 or 60 people? You probably have unlimited text, but do all of those 60 people have unlimited text? If some of them don't, you could be costing them (or their parents) a lot of money on txt. I have actually seen someone within a group txt asked to be taken out of the group txt because the constant conversation was costing them to go over the monthly txt limit within minutes.

When you are using Chomp with the 60 confirms, you were probably individually txting the 60 people. That's actually better since if one reply, it will only go back to you. If you could find an app to "group txt" 60 people, each reply from 1 person will go to all 61 including you.
    11-11-2013 08:16 AM
    Still no way to Group Text from stock application on ATT Note 2?
    11-12-2013 06:23 AM
    Hi Stuart,

Do you remember the other setting you changed to get the group messaging to start working? I'm having the exact same issue as your girlfriend did... Pls let me know! Thanks!!
    12-03-2013 05:43 PM
    Yes there is add recipient press the person icon then choose group

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
    12-08-2013 07:45 PM
    Group text finally works correctly in the stock messaging app on 4.3

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4
    12-19-2013 07:54 PM
    The stock group text messaging also finally works on the AT&T Samsung Note 2 with their i317 software update (Android 4.3).
    Update the Software for the Samsung Galaxy Note II (i317)- AT&T Wireless Support
    01-04-2014 01:07 PM
    Can you recommend an app that does the latter in your post? Mass text? I'm not interested in the group SMS stuff, but I need to send texts to the parents on my baseball team on occasion. I need to put folks in a group and be able to select that group and send a text. Thanks.
    03-11-2014 03:42 PM
    You can't use these groups when texting.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes there is add recipient press the person icon then choose grouphttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/09/ypa7ege6.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
    You can't use these groups while texting.
    03-11-2014 03:43 PM
    Hangouts is the best for Group Texting. Ive had Android since the G1 (first android phone) and its never had group texting, it was literally just mass texting, where if you picked multiple recipients and sent a message, they could all reply back, but it would come back individually instead of all going to one thread. Hard to read since you have to back out and go to each friends thread to see their reply.

On that note I still can't answer your Mass Text question, because I've spent so much time looking for the best Group Messaging App, and Google did it with Hangouts which is pretty much Native to all Android phones (Not a third party app like Handcent or Go SMS) Im still on Android 4.2, but supposedly all 4.3+ Android versions can do group sms with the stock messenger

GROUP TEXT/SMS/MMS SOLUTION:

ANDROID 4.2 and Below - Use updated Google Hangouts for Group Messaging, Go to settings and SMS and replace your stock app. Now you should be able to use Hangouts as your regular messaging app, I deactivated all notifications from my stock messenger.

ANDROID 4.3 and 4.4 - Use stock messenger or Hangouts.

Hope that quickly helps all people looking for that answer...took some years
    Luci713 likes this.
    04-10-2014 01:18 PM
    I have read through most of the above messages. I recently purchased SG Note 2 and today upgraded to version 4.3 I317
    Do I have to do anything to make the stock messages app work for group messages?
    04-12-2014 04:12 PM
    I have read through most of the above messages. I recently purchased SG Note 2 and today upgraded to version 4.3 I317
    Do I have to do anything to make the stock messages app work for group messages?
    You just need to make sure Group Messaging is checked in the setting and you are good to go since you got 4.3.
    04-19-2014 11:30 PM
    I find a box for SMS default, but cannot find a link to select GoSMS Pro. Please advise me. Thanks.
    06-04-2014 02:05 PM
78 1234