How to Group Text?

Rookie4sho

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
This has to be a fault on Samsung's part no? I've been trying to help several friends out with this WITHOUT 3rd party to no avail. I'm on a Nexus 4, and have this ability using the stock Android messaging app. Even before it updated to 4.2.2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought these manufacture skins on top of Android was all about improving upon existing Android and adding additional features to set themselves apart from the pack. Why would this be a missing feature? I'm also noticing my friends with HTC's stock messaging app having no issues sending and receiving and being a part of group messaging without any problems. So why on earth a new phone like a GS3 can't do this with stock messaging app? Why should we need to use 3rd party. Researching and trying to figure out how to fix this has made me want to stick with my Stock Android experiences and stay my Nexus 4.

Every thread I've come across solution has been the same. Install Handscent or GoSms pro or some other 3rd part app. That's rubbish on Samsung's part. These should be optional and not the only way.

Craig Schaefer

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Not that I'm adding much to this conversation, but hopefully someome at Google may still be interested in fixing this problem for the Note and S3. I have an S3 and am considering getting rid of it just because of this issue. If its fixed on the S4., why can't a fix be releaaed for the other Android devices?

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if you guys saw my previous post a few pages back but the official ATT messages app in the playstore correctly displays group messaging just like its done on iphone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

adam1314#IM

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Seems like your basic software bug or designer/developer screw-up. The GS4 works correctly.... At least, mine does, on Verizon. I suppose it could also be hosed on AT&T, like the N2.

I started out with the At&t Galaxy S4 and it did group messaging out of the box. Returned it for a Gnote 2 and it won't work. Love the Note 2 but this is something basic that all phones should have on their stock messages app.

Posted via Android Central App

adam1314#IM

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes, use Go SMS Pro and make that you go to settings (under advanced menu) > send settings > check box under MMS Group Chat (support MMS Group Chat with iPhone and android, useful for US mobile networks...)

Go SMS will process the group texts. You just have to wait a few seconds when the text comes in so it can process the group texts properly.

This worked for me. Although I wish the stock messaging app would do it. Thanks for your help!

Posted via Android Central App

Geoff Ziulkowski

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Using AT&T Messages with my Galaxy Note 2. When I send a group text replies come back from each individual. Replies do not come back to the original group text I sent. Can anyone help?

Geoff Ziulkowski

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
It was messages that was originally on the phone. I opened it and was prompted to update. When the update was complete I opened again. I then received a text. Welcome to AT&T messaging your inbox is ready to use.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have been using Go SMS since I got my Note II last year. Everything works fine except for the group text delay. It only takes the app about 1 to 2 seconds to move the txt from individual thread into a group text thread, but 1 to 2 seconds turn into 20 to 30 seconds when you have 6 to 8 people in the group chat all sending txt out. On the iphone and ipad, there is 0 delay. On the Note II Go SMS, the keyboard froze because the app was busy trying to move 6 to 10 different text from different people into the group chat thread. By the time you get your txt to go out, the conversation has already moved to a different topic. :p

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I have been using Go SMS since I got my Note II last year. Everything works fine except for the group text delay. It only takes the app about 1 to 2 seconds to move the txt from individual thread into a group text thread, but 1 to 2 seconds turn into 20 to 30 seconds when you have 6 to 8 people in the group chat all sending txt out. On the iphone and ipad, there is 0 delay. On the Note II Go SMS, the keyboard froze because the app was busy trying to move 6 to 10 different text from different people into the group chat thread. By the time you get your txt to go out, the conversation has already moved to a different topic. :p

You might try deleting the thread to clear out old messages. And delete individual threads from the other participants. I think the SMS database can get large enough to slow the app down when it's trying to move messages around.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You might try deleting the thread to clear out old messages. And delete individual threads from the other participants. I think the SMS database can get large enough to slow the app down when it's trying to move messages around.

I can try that to see if that helps. But I don't that's it though since I had the same problem since I first started using Go SMS when the threads barely have anything in it. You could think that just copying short ASCII text from one thread to another shouldn't cause that much lag.

For the people who use Handcents. Is there any lag in group chat if more than 5 people are chatting at the same time? Maybe I should switch to try it out.

redfish76

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Steps for getting group text with handcent to work on AT&T note 2

1 . download handcent
2. From main conversation list view, hit your left touch key, bringing up a menu.
3. Select settings, then application settings.
4. Scroll down and select thread group conversation.
5. Hit your right touch key to go back 1 screen, and click on send message settings.
6. Select send as split threads,
7. Hit your right touch key to go back 1 screen, and click on receive message settings.
8. Select auto retrieve, roaming auto retrieve, and auto download.

I set handcent as my default messaging app initially, then within my stock messaging app, set that back to the default messaging app. I use handcent only for group texting. It seems to lag a bit with large groups or if you have a lot of other stuff running. Also unsure if the roaming auto retrieve is necessary, but that is what I have set and it works.

Reboot after updating settings and feel free to hit me up with any questions. Honestly no clue how I figured this out, just a lot of trial and error while taking some good poops. Absurd we have to do this to group text.

I have a SG3 with 4.1.2 on Sprint that would not do group texts. I already had already tried GoSMS and Handcent to no avail. However, this procedure worked. The only thing is that it takes longer to download group messages now. Here's the other weird thing. Now GoSMS, Handcent, and the stock message app all group texts in one thread. The only difference is in the stock app, it doesn't identify who the incoming texts are from--you would have to click on message details to see that. Weird.

jmwyman

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I have had the same issues with group texting and the Note ll. I have found that Facebook Messenger works seamlessly and gives the added benefit of chat heads. Go to settings, text messaging, turn on text messaging, use as main texting app and then notifications, turn on chat heads.

Everyone does not need to be on Facebook. You do not get a pop up notification, instead get a small circle icon with a picture of the person texting you with the text shown as a notification. Works for me.

derekwolfee

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No you don't have to have fb messenger to chat back with it. You can enable it to send sms as your default messaging app. So they just receive an sms like normal. Unless you send it as a fb message. Also you can even group fb message with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I just stared using Facebook Messenger last week and I have to say it works out really well. It works seamlessly with the Note 2 almost like it should be part of the Android OS. I love the chathead (the circle thing). Ever since I left the iPhone, I really missed iMessage where I could talk to my nieces and nephews who only got iPod Touch or iPad without a phone. But since they all got Facebook, I could talk to them. And my wife is currently in another country where I could not TXT her. But again, Facebook messenger works better than iMessage and across both iOS and Android platforms.

I liked it so much that I started using it for my normal SMS and MMS also. It seems faster than Go SMS and No stupid ADs. If it kept on going well, I will delete go sms all together.

mrgreen8

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
were you able to get it to work? I'm about to return my S4, i'm really upset about it because i switched over from iphone BUT i'm not receiving important messages from friends! I just downloaded Go Pro SMS and enabled the MMS setting you mentioned - any further ideas? This is so frustrating!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech