Sub-par battery life

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I've seen lots of battery life forums, and most of them show great battery life (over 12 hours) with lots of screen time. I'm not even in an LTE area, but I get very good signal. My screen brightness is at about 30% and I have two e-mail accounts (Exchange push and Gmail sync). My phone is about 4 months old, and this type of battery life has been typical.

My previous phone, an Infuse, could get nowhere near this, but I really think that the battery life on this phone can get better. What can I do to get more juice out of it?

Is this normal battery life? I really doubt it, but I want some feedback. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: The battery graph screenshot was taken after 26 minutes of minimal usage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-09-20-19-01.png
    Screenshot_2013-03-09-20-19-01.png
    147.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_2013-03-09-20-19-12.png
    Screenshot_2013-03-09-20-19-12.png
    80.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_2013-03-09-20-45-35.png
    Screenshot_2013-03-09-20-45-35.png
    94.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Looks like the N64oid could be part of it. And all of the notifications. Do you turn your wifi off when you arnt using it?
I've seen lots of battery life forums, and most of them show great battery life (over 12 hours) with lots of screen time. I'm not even in an LTE area, but I get very good signal. My screen brightness is at about 30% and I have two e-mail accounts (Exchange push and Gmail sync). My phone is about 4 months old, and this type of battery life has been typical.

My previous phone, an Infuse, could get nowhere near this, but I really think that the battery life on this phone can get better. What can I do to get more juice out of it?

Is this normal battery life? I really doubt it, but I want some feedback. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: The battery graph screenshot was taken after 26 minutes of minimal usage.

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
N64oid doesn't drain as much battery as web browsing does. Web browsing makes my phone get warm and battery consumption can get up to 1.17A (that red number on the status bar). I've had other things on the status bar, such as the WeatherBug widget that was set to update every 15 minutes; I've turned that off and now I just open the app to see the weather.

3G Watchdog was originally set to update every 30 seconds, but now I have it to update every 15 minutes. The white numbers refer to the CPU clock speed in GHz, while the graph represents CPU usage. I don't think 3G Watchdog and the CPU widgets use that much battery, but what about Chrome? Is that a big battery hog?

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I know browsing can do a number on my S3 if I'm using it a lot so depending on how much you are using it, it can. You don't see it on the stock battery graph but Samsung Push Service does a number. I have a post kinda explaining some tips on battery life. You can message me for more info and ideas if you like. There are countless things you can disable to get more life out of the phone (like S Voice if you don't use it)
N64oid doesn't drain as much battery as web browsing does. Web browsing makes my phone get warm and battery consumption can get up to 1.17A (that red number on the status bar). I've had other things on the status bar, such as the WeatherBug widget that was set to update every 15 minutes; I've turned that off and now I just open the app to see the weather.

3G Watchdog was originally set to update every 30 seconds, but now I have it to update every 15 minutes. The white numbers refer to the CPU clock speed in GHz, while the graph represents CPU usage. I don't think 3G Watchdog and the CPU widgets use that much battery, but what about Chrome? Is that a big battery hog?

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I found Samsung Push Service and subsequently disabled it. S Voice had been disabled a long time ago, since I never use it. A question though: what does Samsung Push Service do, and why does it cause battery life to go down?

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
From what i understand its for all of those Pre-loaded Samsung apps like ChatON and what ever else is pre-loaded. And it makes the battery life go down so fast is because the second there is a update or something it'll go straight to your phone. So say you got a email, instead of the phone waiting to sync every 15 minutes (or what ever time it is set to go) your phone will go off the second you get it on the email account. And for the S Voice, did you go in the app to disable it or go into the Application manger to disable it? I've also disable the Game Hub and Group Play and thinking on disabling some more later on
I found Samsung Push Service and subsequently disabled it. S Voice had been disabled a long time ago, since I never use it. A question though: what does Samsung Push Service do, and why does it cause battery life to go down?

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Push Exchange e-mail and Gmail's real-time sync are musts for me. I disabled S Voice, ChatON, and various other pre-loaded apps in the application manager, so they don't even show up on my app drawer. I don't have Game Hub or Group Play on my phone.

What is your battery life like? Can you post a screenshot of it, including your screen time and awake times? If your battery life is better than mine, what else do you do to get that kind of battery life?

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I probably should note i'm on Sprint and rooted running all stock but that shouldn't make a big difference. It really differs with me, there are days were I use it heavily or have bad service and so on. I don't i really had a average battery life time on this phone. Like today I didn't really even use my phone at all today (see here and here) and on the 24th of Feb i got roughly 10 hours (see here) what radios are you keeping on? Like GPS and bluetooth
Push Exchange e-mail and Gmail's real-time sync are musts for me. I disabled S Voice, ChatON, and various other pre-loaded apps in the application manager, so they don't even show up on my app drawer. I don't have Game Hub or Group Play on my phone.

What is your battery life like? Can you post a screenshot of it, including your screen time and awake times? If your battery life is better than mine, what else do you do to get that kind of battery life?

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
That's what I do as well. I also end the apps by just holding down the home key, I also have a Task killer and I just have the widget on my home screen and tap on it when ever i want to kill extra apps. Seems to have helped. Also go into maps and change the "report from this device" its what Google Now uses to update GPS and using data when ever it pleases. I noticed it has helped a lot since my data isnt loading up. Better then turning it all the way off
I usually have Bluetooth and GPS off except for when I'm using them. Same goes for Wi-Fi.

- - - Updated - - -

And everything still works the same

Attachments

• 35828vd.png
    35828vd.png
    132.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

GadgetgirL76

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I just started using juice defender and I love it. Give it a try.

sent from my AT&T GN2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362939471301.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362939471301.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 46

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34