got a question about using the phone oversea

netericw

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
hi guys,

I'm going to take a trip to Hong Kong shortly, I want to carry my note 2 and using it at there , do somebody could tell me do I need to unlock it and how to unlock it? Since it's contract phone of at&t, what hv to pay attention? Can I use another carrier at HK after I unlock it and simply to buy a new sim card and insert into the phone?

thanks!

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
hi guys,

I'm going to take a trip to Hong Kong shortly, I want to carry my note 2 and using it at there , do somebody could tell me do I need to unlock it and how to unlock it? Since it's contract phone of at&t, what hv to pay attention? Can I use another carrier at HK after I unlock it and simply to buy a new sim card and insert into the phone?

thanks!

you should definitely get it unlocked legitimately by AT&T. here's the link:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-note-2/230303-unlock-your-att-galaxy-note-2-free.html

then you can just do a sim swap and you're good to go.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Heh, I was just in Hong Kong using my "unlocked" AT&T Note II. I used the method linked above by randar7. You have to make sure you are on android version 4.1.1 though. If you read toward the end of the thread, the unlock method does not work on 4.1.2.

Once unlocked, you could just buy any pre-paid micro SIM card from any store (cell phone stores, 7-11, etc..) in HK. There are a few at airport selling them. I got the One2Free one for $78 HK (about $10 US) and it has enough to activate 7 days unlimited data with a few bucks left over for phone calls. I recharged it online for a another $50 HK and it lasted me the whole 10 days. I don't know what I would do without my Note II with the maps and searches while I was there. It made things soooo much easier having unlimited data on the road.

BTW, you will feel very at home with your Note II in Hong Kong. I have never seen that many Note's and Note II's at one place. Every where I got people are using the Note or Note II. I see pictures of Note II everywhere in big ad signs.

netericw

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Heh, I was just in Hong Kong using my "unlocked" AT&T Note II. I used the method linked above by randar7. You have to make sure you are on android version 4.1.1 though. If you read toward the end of the thread, the unlock method does not work on 4.1.2.

Once unlocked, you could just buy any pre-paid micro SIM card from any store (cell phone stores, 7-11, etc..) in HK. There are a few at airport selling them. I got the One2Free one for $78 HK (about $10 US) and it has enough to activate 7 days unlimited data with a few bucks left over for phone calls. I recharged it online for a another $50 HK and it lasted me the whole 10 days. I don't know what I would do without my Note II with the maps and searches while I was there. It made things soooo much easier having unlimited data on the road.

BTW, you will feel very at home with your Note II in Hong Kong. I have never seen that many Note's and Note II's at one place. Every where I got people are using the Note or Note II. I see pictures of Note II everywhere in big ad signs.

Got another concern, heard that somebody unlock the phone,but after that, he put original at&t sim card into the phone, but it did not work !, wwhat is the different by using of unlock code and this methods besides the money?

**so, how's 4.1.2?, just found mine one is updated to 4.1.2 version!

Last edited:

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Got another concern, heard that somebody unlock the phone,but after that, he put original at&t sim card into the phone, but it did not work !, wwhat is the different by using of unlock code and this methods besides the money?

**so, how's 4.1.2?, just found mine one is updated to 4.1.2 version!

Oh well, you will somehow have to go back to 4.1.1 if you want to use that method. I have no idea what is the difference between using unlock code and this method. I just know that it works, and I had already put my AT&T sim card back and it is working perfectly.

You could try to call AT&T and get it unlocks using the code. It works before for me, but NOT on iPhone. They won't unlock any of iPhones until they are out of contract. But for other phones, they unlocked it for me. If they ask you why, just say you are going to backpack around China, and you don't think AT&T will have coverage in some of the rural areas! It is worth a try.

cheerychum

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I am also using the unlocked ATT Note 2 at Hong Kong with China Mobile prepaid sim card. My Note 2 is without contract so ATT provide me the unlock code. The first couple weeks works perfect but now it started to have problem ... seems the phone cannot connect to the carrier and i can't receive and make phone call. Any idea?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge