Text Messages Disappear

ldpalm

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
A few days ago all my text messages disappeared. Rebooted phone and they were back. Now it is doing this 2 or 3 times a day. I don't have that many so not sure why. Kind of a pain to keep rebooting. Any ideas? First problem I have had with this awesome phone!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

mmohn01

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Are you using the stock app or one toy downloaded? Either way it shouldn't be happening. However, if you have a lot of stuff on your phone it might be doing a memory dump, but I doubt it. Sounds life a software issue.

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
A few days ago all my text messages disappeared. Rebooted phone and they were back. Now it is doing this 2 or 3 times a day. I don't have that many so not sure why. Kind of a pain to keep rebooting. Any ideas? First problem I have had with this awesome phone!

If you're using launcher 8 then that's the culprit. It's a known bug in L8. If this is not your launcher then which launcher are you using and which sms app are you using?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site

Progress?

ldpalm

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Well I was using Stock Messages and someone suggested switching to Go SMS. Since I switched it has only done this once instead of several times a day.

I am actually using Launcher 8 as well if you think that could be the problem. Only thing is if you look around there seems to be several people with the same problem and I can't be sure if all of them are using that Launcher.. I have emailed their customers service to see if they heard of this. It is an awesome launcher however no reply yet from their service.

Peace
LD

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Well I was using Stock Messages and someone suggested switching to Go SMS. Since I switched it has only done this once instead of several times a day.

I am actually using Launcher 8 as well if you think that could be the problem. Only thing is if you look around there seems to be several people with the same problem and I can't be sure if all of them are using that Launcher.. I have emailed their customers service to see if they heard of this. It is an awesome launcher however no reply yet from their service.

Peace
LD

No. Launcher8 is the problem. Disable and use nova launcher or touchwiz for a few days and you won't have any crashed sms sessions. But then you won't have launcher8... So if you could live with it crashing then continue to use Launcher8. But just be warned : when it crashes you don't know it until you look at your texts. And while it's crashed you lose any texts that tried to come in during this crash period.

ldpalm

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
That sucks cause it is a very cool app. Problem is the email they have for support doesn't work and the Web site is in Chinese... But there are so many people using it I would hope they put an upgrade out to fix it. It's definitely not crashing as much with the Go SMS.. Thanks

Peace
LD

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
This is not a Launcher problem..I have Nova launcher and it does the same thing. This is a freaking SAMSUNG and their horrible and laggy software problem.

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
This is not a Launcher problem..I have Nova launcher and it does the same thing. This is a freaking SAMSUNG and their horrible and laggy software problem.

for a lot of things, yes, you are right. but in all likelihood, you have an app that is interfering with sms. if you don't have launcher8, then you need to start figuring out which app is causing by going through your chronology of installations and force stopping/disabling each one and then observing.

Johnny Jagger

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
In my case on my S3 it was an app issue.

I had the incredibly annoying 24sms installed to send international sms messages to my brother in law in Mexico. It would pop up and alert me to text messages, along with the stock Txt Msg app. Upon sending a msg, all my messages in either app would disappear, or sometimes i would get the app crash error.

I uninstalled 24sms, and voila - all the messages are back. So far so good, no more problems.

GrAndroid

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I had this exact problem with my device and found it to be related to the AT&T messages application. Once I uninstalled all updates for the att application the problem was resolved. I made no other changes to the device to correct the problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AC Forums mobile app

MaurDoug

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
My messages disappeared yesterday. I was told to reboot, then to reboot again, 'cause it didn't work the first time (have now rebooted 3 or 4 times, so I don't think it's going to help)...STILL hasn't brought them back! I don't think I have Launcher 8 (I don't even know what it is); I don't have a lot of apps: maybe 3 'pages' worth. I am with a small co. that uses Sprint phones & networks & have a...guess what? Samsung Galaxy S II...is this the likely culprit? This is the THIRD Samsung I've had & the THIRD ONE I'VE HAD PROBLEMS WITH...Argh! I wouldn't have even chosen it, but with this co. (which I use for specific reasons), it was the only phone they offered to go with my plan.

PLEASE HELP!

anyare

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm having a disappearing messages issue too.

It usually happens when I'm sending a message to multiple people, or sometimes even when I'm just sending it to one person. After composing and sending the message and I go back to my inbox, all the messages are gone (I use GoSMS Pro); and when I go to the stock messages app, they're still missing.

That to me feels like it's an OS-related problem and there are multiple cases I've found online where it happens to other owners of newer Samsung Galaxy phones (S3 and Note2, not sure about S4 tho). I didn't have this problem when I first got my phone, it just started happening after one of the OTAs a month or two ago.

Restarting the phone fixes it, and that's what I used to do. I have found another way for me to get my text messages back: Call your own number (from the same phone with the missing messages). Obivously, you'll get a busy tone, but by calling my own number, my stock phone app will flicker for a bit, and it will crash ("the process com.android.phone has stopped"), restart, and then everything will be fine again.

Hopefully it works for you. This has led me to believe that the problem is under the hood and not caused by downloaded apps etc.

-- I reviewed some posts above and:
-I'm using Nova Launcher and I am getting this problem. I've never used Launcher8

rootjunkie

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like Paranormal Phonetivity :eek: anyways try sending a message to yourselfp via free texting apps such as textplus on the playstore to discover the root of your problem because I am stumped.

Good Luck!

n1nj4Lo

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I've been plagued with this problem too, the quick fix of dialing your own number letting it ring and pick up then go to voicemail and it then fc'ing fixes it for me...

BUT Has there been any reports of this happening on the S4? I have the Note 2 too and would love to buy the Note 3 once it comes out, although if the S4 has the same problem chances are the Note 3 would have it too and if so then it's game over for me with buying Samsung phones I'll just get another Phablet then instead to avoid the problem altogether.

anyare

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, the call yourself method doesnt always work apparently... When it happens nowadays I have to use a combination of airplane mode and trying to call myself or others but sometimes have to end up rebooting.

just scared that it may be progressively getting worse and harder to fix each time it happens.

Rachel Strzelecki

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I dont have L8. Just using Samsung stock pre-paid Dart from WalMart. My texts were there, then got a "not connected" error and a "memory full" error. Rebooted phone, and *poof* no messages. None. Even the "locked" messages-gone. So emotional, some of those conversations cannot ever be relived again.

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I gotta post here. I'm incredibly annoyed at this point. Here's what's going on:

Currently I have about 20 apps installed, Nova launcher, and I use stock messaging app. However, The messages app would crash even prior to all these installations and changes. With touchwiz and an EMPTY messages app would crash from only 1 conversation with only one sent and received message. So I know it's not an issue of having too many messages. Weird part is I have used handcent, gosms, Messagin7, Verizon's messging app (I am on VZW btw.), and pansi sms yet it still crashes with all of these apps (obviously not all used/installed at the same time).

A simple restart fixes the issue, but crashing is happening 3 or 4 times a day at this point. I have 6.47GB available. I;ve tried a reset to factory settings; no go. I am at a loss....no idea what to do :S

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
By chance has any one actually gone into the message app settings page and unchecked the option for deleting messages beyond a certain amount? Messages use drive space it could be alot of space if you have received lots of pictures and video. Basically its a memory saving feature.

The only problems ive had with my phone are problems ive created myself. If you hve done a factory reset then do this, DO NOT restore device when prompted at the beginning. Sign into your google account and make sure your phone can send and receive calls and messages. If you can with zero problems then this is for sure app incompatibility and something YOU have installed is causing your issues. I am running stock touchwiz with a phone I bought the first week it came out to att. No problems here.

Also, think about it like this, if you habe had 3 phones and they all did the same thing then this should be a widespread problem except very few comments have been made with others having similiar issues. That makes YOU the common denominator. Simple troubleshooting should solve your issue. Good luck.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4