Hello, Since the recent update to the Kindle App, the dictionary feature no longer works. I deactivated device and uninstalled. Re-installed and Registered device again. Didn't work. When I press/hold a word, absolutely nothing happens. It should prompt me to download the dictionary the first time when re-installed. Update is working fine on my Asus tablet running ICS. Everything works. Amazon sent it to their Problem Resolution. They had no answer. Are any of you other Note 2 owners having issues with your dictionary in the Kindle App since the update? Trying to find out if it's just my phone, or just the Note 2, or whatever. I do almost all my reading on my phone and miss the dictionary/highlighting feature. Thank you for any help.
    04-27-2013 04:57 PM

I'm running 4.0 Kindle and dictionary pops up in a little Window.

Go to app manager
    Clear cache
    Clear data
    Force stop
    Reboot phone
    Reinstall Kindle

Note : you might lose bookmarks, etc.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Elly44 likes this.
    04-27-2013 06:38 PM
    The dictionary is still working for me too.

The problem I had with the update was that it put every book I ever purchased into the carousel. I finally figured out you can remove them by long pressing on the book and waiting for the option list and removing it there. What a pain that is.

The problem I still have with it is the recommend list. The "best sellers" seem to be romance novels I am not interested in, but the "Recommendations" list books I've already purchased.
    Elly44 likes this.
    04-27-2013 11:30 PM
    Hi, Thank you for responding and for the suggestions. Unfortunately it didn't work. Although no other Note 2 owners in here are saying they are having the problem, I am seeing in various other places that people are having issues with a variety of other devices. So there is likely something with the update. I am hoping Amazon will repair asap. I am in a book club and not having the dictionary and the ability to highlight and make notes is really a loss.
    Thank you again,
    hanszimmermann likes this.
    04-28-2013 06:35 AM
    I had the same aggravating problem with the missing dictionary. I followed the recommended steps above for clearing cache, data, reinstalling, etc but it didn't fix this issue. A quick web search located an older version (version 3.7) of the kindle app and i uninstalled the new one and installed this old one. Lo and behold, the dictionary function works perfectly again. I turned off auto-updating on Google Play App and now i'm good to go until amazon decides to fix this annoying issue.

Here's where i downloaded the older version in case you want it: Kindle.apk
    04-30-2013 02:52 PM
    Thank you so much for this! You solved my problem because I was also looking for an apk and didn't have the right version number. As soon as I saw your post, I found it and I too have the previous version installed until Amazon fixes it. Took 3 minutes. They did email me and tell me that this is a known issue across several devices. Thank you so much for your help. Love these forums. Elly44
    hanszimmermann likes this.
    05-01-2013 04:26 AM
    My kindle app no longer has dictionary. When I highlight word nothing happens. Please fix this-every other tablet I have -IPAD, SURFACE PRO 3-their dictionary functions work, why not Android? Here I was thinking Samsung rocked....
    04-21-2016 04:53 PM