I kind of thought I could just log into my AT&T account and add on tethering for a month, but I don't actually see how to do that. I don't see anything in my plan options that allow me to turn on tethering, or anything that indicates what it would cost.

On the other hand, I'm running the AT&T CleanRom, which is supposed to have a workaround for tethering, so maybe I can turn on my wifi hotspot and pay nothing. But then I guess I run the risk of AT&T forcing me into a tethering plan. So I thought I might just pay for tethering and avoid the issue, or I might at least want to figure out what it costs, so I know how much I'm risking by using the CleanRom tether. But I can't find that info. Anyone know how that works?
    06-18-2013 01:02 PM
    Tethering refers to connection between two devices. In mobile phones we use tethering to share mobile internet connection with other devices like your PC, Laptops, Tablets. Although these devices can access internet through wire, wi-fi or usb devices. So you could either your mobile internet connection with other devices through USB or Wi-Fi hot spot. For making your mobile Wi-Fi hotspot, you need to enable the same in your mobile through settings. Please keep in mind the data usage done through Wi-Fi tethering or USB, would be billed by your mobile service provider.
    06-18-2013 01:22 PM
    Thank you. I actually know what tethering is. I was trying to understand how AT&T handled it. I had thought the ability to tether was an added monthly charge. Now that I've delved more deeply into the AT&T site, it seems more like the ability to tether is integrated into some data plans and excluded from others. It looks like if I had a 5G plan, tethering would be included, but because I have 3GB plan, there is no option for tethering. Does that sound right?

Also, the site lists supported devices for tethering, and the Note II is not among them, but I am guessing that the list is out of date because the iPhone 5 is not listed either, and it seems unlikely that they'd offer the feature on older phones and remove it from newer ones.

So I'm just wondering if I have that right: That to get tethering officially, you have be on a 5GB or higher plan. The only way to get tethering and remain on my 3GB is by using workarounds and hope it goes unnoticed. True?

I'm also wondering if AT&T lets you bounce around between plans. I could consider bumping up to higher plan for a month when I'd be traveling and tethering would be helpful, but I wouldn't pay $200+ per year for a feature that I would only use occasionally.
    06-18-2013 01:43 PM
    I rooted my Skyrocket and added an app called WiFi Tether for Root Users by Muller, Lemons, Buxton. It allowed me to tether without the need of a USB cable. The same app, however, doesn't work on my rooted Note 2 (I'm not sure if they're going to update it for the Note 2 or what).

There is an app you can purchase called EasyTether Pro by Polyclef Software. This doesn't require your phone to be rooted, but only allows you to tether via a USB connection to your phone.

As long as you're not using copious amounts of data to get yourself flagged (just use it when absolutely needed), you should be fine using tether without having to purchase an additional plan.
    06-18-2013 01:44 PM
    Tethering with a 3Gb plan is insane....I have unlimited and always a top 5%er.
    06-19-2013 01:23 PM
    Tethering with a 3Gb plan is insane....I have unlimited and always a top 5%er.
    I'm sure it depends on how you use it and what you need. I'm currently a little more than halfway through my billing cycle and have used about 20% of my data allowance. There's no tethering in that, but even if I did tether, I can only use one device at a time, so I wouldn't expect a huge increase in data use. With wifi at home and work, I don't even have that much opportunity to use data, and what I'd like to tether to my phone is my tablet. I don't expect I would be able to burn through data much more quickly on the tablet.
    06-19-2013 02:18 PM