Rooted my phone, now... questions and issues

anon979827

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Okay, first off:
model - i317
carrier is not AT&T but T-Mobile (phone came unlocked)
according to a guide I found, my phone is not (supposed to be) subject to SDS
I rooted my phone following the first method listed on this page

The first thing I noticed after rooting my phone was that I no longer had network access.
The second thing I noticed was that anytime my phone turned itself off, I could only turn it back on again by removing and replacing the battery. This problem has decreased since then, but not gone away. I couldn't find anything in the settings that might be related to this, and I turned off power saving mode (with no effect).
The THIRD thing I noticed, was that the rom I had chosen was NOT compatible with my phone (the review merely implied this).

I had chosen the Omega rom, since it was based on the stock software (I figured fewer likely issues) but more importantly because it was described as giving me complete control over which apps were installed or not. I cannot seem to find an i317 rom which does the same. So if there either exists a comparable rom, or if there is a way to make Omega compatible, I would be extremely interested.

When all is said and done, I would like to unroot it.

So, anyone up to the challenge of advising me on these concerns? Keep in mind that I am completely new to all of this. I've only been educating myself about these things for the last few weeks, which ain't much!

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Okay, first off:
model - i317
carrier is not AT&T but T-Mobile (phone came unlocked)
according to a guide I found, my phone is not (supposed to be) subject to SDS
I rooted my phone following the first method listed on this page

The first thing I noticed after rooting my phone was that I no longer had network access.
The second thing I noticed was that anytime my phone turned itself off, I could only turn it back on again by removing and replacing the battery. This problem has decreased since then, but not gone away. I couldn't find anything in the settings that might be related to this, and I turned off power saving mode (with no effect).
The THIRD thing I noticed, was that the rom I had chosen was NOT compatible with my phone (the review merely implied this).

I had chosen the Omega rom, since it was based on the stock software (I figured fewer likely issues) but more importantly because it was described as giving me complete control over which apps were installed or not. I cannot seem to find an i317 rom which does the same. So if there either exists a comparable rom, or if there is a way to make Omega compatible, I would be extremely interested.

When all is said and done, I would like to unroot it.

So, anyone up to the challenge of advising me on these concerns? Keep in mind that I am completely new to all of this. I've only been educating myself about these things for the last few weeks, which ain't much!

There are a lot of ROMs and instructions on XDA
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note II - xda-developers

anon979827

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I found a guide to unroot my phone, restore it to the complete factory default, and remove any orphan-ware. Then I did a factory reset, and, just to be sure, went through the process to unlock my phone (it was unlocked before I started).

Now it appears to be behaving normally except for two things. The first is that I do not have network access. I'm using the same authorized sim card I had before, and it's still got all my contacts on it (so I'm assuming it didn't lose any information in this process). I see the bars showing me the signal strength, but when I try and make a call it says "emergency calls only."

What's been lost or changed to cause this and how do I fix it?

anon979827

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Alright, I think I have found the root of the "emergency calls only" issue. If I go to settings, more settings, mobile networks, network operators, default setup, manual; then it finds AT&T and 3116600. If I do the same thing to my spouse's phone, IT finds T-Mobile as well, but mine no longer will. Does anyone know what the cause for this would be and how to correct it?

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Alright, I think I have found the root of the "emergency calls only" issue. If I go to settings, more settings, mobile networks, network operators, default setup, manual; then it finds AT&T and 3116600. If I do the same thing to my spouse's phone, IT finds T-Mobile as well, but mine no longer will. Does anyone know what the cause for this would be and how to correct it?

Your best bet to go completely back to stock with the correct tmobile settings is 1. Download the stock 4.1.x build for your tmobile phone. You will also need a good baseband and possibly even a a good kernel. Im not sure what Omega Rom comes with but it may have overwritten these files.

A quick fix may infact just be a baseband update. In this case download the baseband file on your computer then use odin to flash it to your phone. The baseband software is used by your device and basically the driver for your network hardware in the phone, I.e it tell the phone how to talk to the network. Make doubly sure it is the correct baseband. Xda has each device seperated by carrier, do a search for the stock files I mentioned. Good luck, I too had a HORRIBlE time unrooting my phone. I had to remove my sd card to get the status to change to a normal state.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

anon979827

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much! I did go back to stock which I downloaded from SamMobile. I am embarrassed to admit that I just found out 2 days ago that T-Mobile's local cell tower caught fire and had to be taken down two weeks ago, which is why I had no signal. It just happened to coincide with the time I started working with the phone! Sorry for troubling anyone, and many thanks for your help and suggestions.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much! I did go back to stock which I downloaded from SamMobile. I am embarrassed to admit that I just found out 2 days ago that T-Mobile's local cell tower caught fire and had to be taken down two weeks ago, which is why I had no signal. It just happened to coincide with the time I started working with the phone! Sorry for troubling anyone, and many thanks for your help and suggestions.

Just so others may be more enlightened, please explain what you did to come back to a stock status. Btw, there are 2 places to check for a modified status. Just because your phone is running a stock os and stock everything else doesnt mean that your not still showing a modified status. Thanks!

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

anon979827

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, since I wanted to go back to the point before I had any errors, I searched for guides on unrooting the phone. The first method didn't work, it just removed the super user program. Then I searched some more, focusing on guides specific to my model and from respectable sources such as pcworld, cnet, and pc magazine. I found one that was for "unbricking your phone" and it described itself as the easiest method for returning your phone to complete factory default. It gave a link to SamMobile.com where you can download the original rom for your specific phone, and described how to flash it using Oden, which I already had from when I first messed things up. So, I flashed the complete factory default, then I navigated the settings menu to the option to return the phone to original factory settings. Then I tested my phone and all appeared well (except for the network signal). There was a guide for determining if your phone was still rooted or not, and another for using Triangle to reset the flashing counter, but neither of these were important to me as I was not trying to send my phone back for warranty coverage.

speculatrix

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think it is worth doing "triangle away" whether or not you need to return phone for warranty. Let's say you damage screen and want it repaired, it would be very hard to do TA if you can't see what's happening.
Or, some software may check for modification flags and refuse to run.

Unfortunately the mobile banking app for my phone knows I am rooted despite all my efforts to hide that, so it's not impossible it's detecting modified firmware too.