Unlocked phone but waiting for 4.3

5agarj79

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I have note 2 from At&T and it is unlocked by AT&T. My question, since my phone is already unlocked why is that I have to wait for android 4.3 version? Im on 4.1.2 now. Or is it that the upvrade is managed by Samsung?

Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AC Forums mobile app

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
4.3 is only available on Nexus devices at the moment, I believe 4.3 is going to start releasing on other phones sometime in October but I'm not sure if the GN2 will get it.

jeep447

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok I'm probably missing something obvious here, but I'll still throw this out there just in case.. That's only if you choose not to root your phone, because I have a Note 2 as well and I'm currently running Android 4.3 (and it's awesome). Having an unlocked phone means you can use it with different carriers, but when you want to run different versions of Android software, then your phone needs to be rooted. Unless of course you just want to wait for the updates to be released, but you definitely don't have to if that's what you were wondering.

Sent from a modified ColecoVision

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi
I have note 2 from At&T and it is unlocked by AT&T. My question, since my phone is already unlocked why is that I have to wait for android 4.3 version? Im on 4.1.2 now. Or is it that the upvrade is managed by Samsung?

It is as what Jeep447 said. Your phone being unlocked has nothing to do with OS update. If you want the official update for your AT&T Note II, you will first have to wait for Samsung to roll out an update for Note II, then you have to wait for AT&T to roll it out for AT&T Note II. It is going to be a while... if ever...

ldscalgaryguy

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm using an unlocked AT&T Note 2 in Canada. I'm unable to do an OTA update since I'm not on AT&T's network, however I'm also hearing reports from a few people that this update won't be available on Kies...I have no idea why though. Is there any other way I can update to stock 4.3 without rooting?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm using an unlocked AT&T Note 2 in Canada. I'm unable to do an OTA update since I'm not on AT&T's network, however I'm also hearing reports from a few people that this update won't be available on Kies...I have no idea why though. Is there any other way I can update to stock 4.3 without rooting?

Who is your service through?

Posted via Android Central App

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm with Rogers.

Ok..so since it's unlocked and your service is through Rogers it won't come through Rogers?

Other carriers have done updates through Kies I believe, just not AT&T.

Are there any AT&T device centers there or does Rogers have them? The carriers have a special Kies program where they can flash phones.

ldscalgaryguy

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Ok..so since it's unlocked and your service is through Rogers it won't come through Rogers?

Other carriers have done updates through Kies I believe, just not AT&T.

Are there any AT&T device centers there or does Rogers have them? The carriers have a special Kies program where they can flash phones.

Why would Rogers have access to an AT&T update? Pretty sure they would only flash a Rogers phone.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Why would Rogers have access to an AT&T update? Pretty sure they would only flash a Rogers phone.

Well I don't know what happens when you take an unlocked phone from a previous carrier to a new carrier..

Have you called Samsung Tech support and Rogers, since you are on their network to ask them about this? I'm sure you aren't the first customer to be in this position. If it were me, I would call Samsung, have them get you to Level 2 support when they answer the phone (you will have to go through some steps with Level 1 first) and ask them about it. Also, does Samsung have Samsung stores in Canada?

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi

Unlocked just means you can use the device on other carriers. But those carriers MUST support your device. There are many models of note 2 hence different part numbers. Each phone has different hardware types d3pending on how they communicate with cell towers. You still must have os that is preprogrammed to know how to utilize that hardware. I think kies update only works correctly with the international version.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463