iPhone 5 to note 2?

emscapt47

Trusted Member
Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I have the option to switch to a note 2 from a iPhone. What do you folks think? Is it worth it or is the note a thing of the past?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I have the option to switch to a note 2 from a iPhone. What do you folks think? Is it worth it or is the note a thing of the past?

I wouldn't say the Note line in general is a thing of the past. But Specifically, the Note 2 is approaching the End of Life. Soon the development and support will slow and then stop. Especially since the Note 3 so close to release.

I hope you still consider shifting to Android, I just think you may be happier with the Note 3. If you aren't due for an upgrade for another few weeks, there are still many other devices to choose from. The HTC One, S4, Moto X, LG G2, and the Nexus is supposed to be announced soon as well.

alinosa

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
It depends on what your goals for switching are, really. I went from iPhone 4 to Note 2 and LOVE the increase in size, the ability to view flash video, and MKVs too.

I HATE my phone for consuming my "other than movies" media. The music playback sound quality not close to my iPhone. I also have several music videos on my phone.. after watching one several times, I noticed artifacting... the image would go blocky for some reason. I re-downloaded thinking it was corrupted. nope. same thing. I then tried a different format and it was clear. It didn't start out all blocky, but it definitely is now. No biggie, but something to be aware of.

Bigger than any of this is the lack of compatibility with iTunes. (I KNOW there are options for getting an android device to play nice with iTunes, but the supposedly superior ones are paid apps, that I still have to **** with before it's right. I have more than 6000 songs that i enjoy on a rotating basis. The smart playlists I built in iTunes manage what is synched to my device without my having to interfere.... Ultimately I don't want to spend the time "managing" my music, that's what the software is for.)

If you aren't worried about htis either, then an Android device might just be the awesome you're looking for. I LOVE the little things I can do with my phone that my wife can't... like download something from the internet ... I can download executables for my pc when i see one that intrigues me while browsing on my phone. I don't have to remember where i saw it or go to my pc "right now" or bookmark it or send myself an email with the deets... you get the drift.

Also, the "back" button is the best. It doesn't have consistent behavior between some apps but still I love it.

Something I don't like that isn't "because I used to have it on the iPhone" (but I *did* have it) is the consistency of performance and behavior of the device without respect to what app I'm in.

For instance: my accelerometer gets stuck sometimes. For no reason, I won't be able to go from portrait to landscape while browsing the internet. BUT if I switch to another app that happens to be in landscape mode, I sometimes can switch, other times, not. Inconsistent performance.

So, depending on what you expect from your phone, you may really enjoy switching. Or not.

One last thing: one of the biggest "Yays" for me when switching from windows mobile to iphone was the loss of the second device to tote around for my music. I have a 32GB uSD card in my note2 and it has roughly 4 gigs of music because it's a hassle to move music onto it. I do have lots of movies tho because I have to transcode ZERO movies to watch on this phone. But I now carry my 5G ipod around again.

Good Luck!

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
That's a hard choice. I had the iPhone 5 and it is a great phone. I also have the Note 3 and had the Note 2. The Note 2 is one of my all time favorite devices. If you are looking to get a bigger screen and feel you will use the S-pen, I say go for it

Sent from the baddest device on the planet, my Galaxy Note 3.

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I think other posters have given you good advice, but about your question "is the Note a thing of the past?" Are you kidding???

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say the Note line in general is a thing of the past. But Specifically, the Note 2 is approaching the End of Life. Soon the development and support will slow and then stop. Especially since the Note 3 so close to release.

Oh, yeah. Maybe that's what the OP meant. I thought the OP was asking if the whole Note series was "a thing of the past."

Gurggles

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I just replaced my Nokia Lumia 920 for a Note 2. There has been some stumbling for me, WP had a much smoother interface and was easy to use one handed (much like iOS). The Note 2 may not have the numbers that GS4 or HTC One have but it is still going to get updates. Are you using an upgrade for it, or buying it used?

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Of course, if the OP could switch to a Note 3, as well as a 2, I'd say, grab the 3. But, if it is only an option to switch your iPhone to a 2, it's still a great phone. It's just a matter if you want and could feel comfortable with a phablet and don't mind leaving ios.