Battery Drain Issue from Exchange Services Data

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
PHOTO_20131028_164103.jpgPHOTO_20131028_112001.jpgPHOTO_20131028_100101.jpg
Has anyone experienced this issue? I've seen some write ups on other sites that implies that it's an bug in the Samsung client software. I have a customer with this issue and trying to figure out if I can do anything to resolve it or not. Came to me saying the battery was dying quickly. I quickly realized that the Exchange account server was using 55% of the battery and looking at the data, accounted for over 400MB of data. This just isn't right. So I deleted the customer account, added mine and charged the battery back to 100% for testing. After adding my account, I checked the Running Apps and it still looks like it's using way too much. Exchange Services using over 25MB and Email around 40MB. Doesn't look like that on my Motorola RazrMaxxHD running the same Exchange email account. On my Razr its only 8MB on one and 7MB on the other. Something is wrong and I'm looking for suggestions. Should he return this thing or what?

Last edited:

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
He had it set to 30 days and Calendar set to ALL but my point is that on my RazrMaxx, which i've had for a long time, I have Email & Calendar Days to Sync set to ALL, and its nowhere near that much data.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Well I added my email, disabled a bunch of bloatware apps, changed to a darker wallpaper, turned on the power save mode. I even removed the 'Shortcuts on Lock Screen' option. Same results. Battery at 50% left after only 4 hrs of very light use and the Exchange Services are back to being over 50% of the battery usage. Probably sending this one back.

mdleader

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I had this issue on my S3. I removed my exchange account and re-added it. This seemed to solve the problem. On S4 I am only getting five hours out of my battery with little to no use due to exchange services chewing up my battery life and making my phone very hot. I have calendar and e mail to all but am not on push bur rather have it checking e mail every 15 minutes. My other accounts are set to once a day or every four hours. However, I am not sure if the g mail accounts impact exchange services.

I have removed all accounts and re added them. I cannot figure this issue out or find an answer on how to resolve this on S4. I cannot continue this way and desperately need to find a solution that does not involved not using the email and calendar as I need them for business.

amm1980

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm experiencing the exact same issue with my google Nexus 7 tablet. I just deleted my exchange (work) email and only have gmail on it... Exchange Services is still showing battery usage of 35% at the moment.

This started happening a few weeks ago - I never had an issue with drainage prior to this. Yesterday I charged it for a full day at work (until 5p); it was completely drained by midnight - and that was with extremely minimal usage.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
What we discovered was that with the sync in Push mode, the mobile data transfer would just not stop. Setting the sync to 15min intervals was the only way to stop the constant data but wasn't the best solution for us. We ended up sending the first unit back and the replacement did not have the same issue. We feel sure that the issue was hardware.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AC Forums mobile app

demonashes

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I had a similar problem on my S3. We had a domain change in our organization recently and had to reconfigure our devices. Post that the battery drain was high and most of it was consumed by exchange services. After some research, this solution worked for me:
My device uses outlook webmail address. If you have a similar setup - go to outlook webmail on your browser (preferably on a laptop or desktop). Go to options - all options.
There should be a link for ‘mobile’ in there which lists all the mobile devices that are setup to sync with the server.
Here was my problem: I had a big list - my previous devices. Actually a device for every OS version that I had upgraded from!
Solution that worked for me:
Delete all the devices listed in the above link (including the current one).
Remove the email account from mobile device.
Clear the cache.
Setup the account again.
The device will be automatically added in the outlook device list once the device is setup to sync.
Voila!! My device was back to normal again..
Hope this helps somebody with similar problem!

Wendy Romkes

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I think your solution sounds plausible, but I can not for the life of me find this in outlook... i can find the "options", but not "all options", and there is no mobile category... can you help me out here?

HJJ979

May 15, 2014
Visit site
You have to log into Outlook Web Access or OWA. In the upper right corner you will see Options, Click on that and you will see "See All options" Click on that. On the left side of the screen you will see "Phone" Click on that and you will see every device that you have ever used to view you Exchnage Mail box. I had the same phone in there 4 times because reset my phone that many times trying to fix this crazy problem.

Good Luck
HJJ

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
thank you for posting this. And thank you for doing it in an easy to follow manner. It totally solved the problem for me on my samsung galaxy s3 running Android 4.3 using a Microsoft exchange email account.

I had a similar problem on my S3. We had a domain change in our organization recently and had to reconfigure our devices. Post that the battery drain was high and most of it was consumed by exchange services. After some research, this solution worked for me:
My device uses outlook webmail address. If you have a similar setup - go to outlook webmail on your browser (preferably on a laptop or desktop). Go to options - all options.
There should be a link for ?mobile? in there which lists all the mobile devices that are setup to sync with the server.
Here was my problem: I had a big list - my previous devices. Actually a device for every OS version that I had upgraded from!
Solution that worked for me:
Delete all the devices listed in the above link (including the current one).
Remove the email account from mobile device.
Clear the cache.
Setup the account again.
The device will be automatically added in the outlook device list once the device is setup to sync.
Voila!! My device was back to normal again..
Hope this helps somebody with similar problem!

NJGlassDoors

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 89212View attachment 89169View attachment 89171
Has anyone experienced this issue? I've seen some write ups on other sites that implies that it's an bug in the Samsung client software. I have a customer with this issue and trying to figure out if I can do anything to resolve it or not. Came to me saying the battery was dying quickly. I quickly realized that the Exchange account server was using 55% of the battery and looking at the data, accounted for over 400MB of data. This just isn't right. So I deleted the customer account, added mine and charged the battery back to 100% for testing. After adding my account, I checked the Running Apps and it still looks like it's using way too much. Exchange Services using over 25MB and Email around 40MB. Doesn't look like that on my Motorola RazrMaxxHD running the same Exchange email account. On my Razr its only 8MB on one and 7MB on the other. Something is wrong and I'm looking for suggestions. Should he return this thing or what?

NJGlassDoors

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Remove any and all email accounts from Microsoft Exchange under general settings-accounts-exchange.
Add you email addresses to the "email" icon instead.
Worked for me.
[link removed by Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Racing101

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I had same problem, exchange server using all data and battery, if you look in the email app you will notice the circle continuing to refresh for data, I tried unsyncing things I was not accessing regularly on the phone like calendar, contacts and left emails at push, seems to have fixed itself, as all I wanted was email access and did not want to manually seek these or wait for certain time periods to elapse.

Last edited:

Flarkitand

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 5 (running Lollipop 5.0.1) had the same irritation, where Exchange services ran down my battery and gobbled up my data. I found that the email sync was frenziedly trying (and failing) to sync, even though I'd disabled the email sync, preferring only to sync my calendar. I've now done as Demonash suggested, so let's see if it behaves better now!

Flarkitand

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
So I tried the above suggestion and the issue stopped for a day or 2, then it returned. I went through the process again and the same behaviour occurred. I only have the "Sync calendar" enabled, yet the "Email sync" would go nuts, constantly showing a flickering "busy" image.

This morning I checked under the "Settings->Accounts->Exchange->Account Settings->[my exchange account]->Folder sync settings" and found that the Inbox folder's "Sync this folder" was enabled, even though I had disabled the "Sync Email" setting. Now I hope that the Calendar isn't tied to the Inbox in some way, leaving my without a way to sync the calendar.

If this doesn't solve the problem, I'm flashing a different ROM!

My Nexus 5 (running Lollipop 5.0.1) had the same irritation, where Exchange services ran down my battery and gobbled up my data. I found that the email sync was frenziedly trying (and failing) to sync, even though I'd disabled the email sync, preferring only to sync my calendar. I've now done as Demonash suggested, so let's see if it behaves better now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy