Need help! Got a second galaxy note 2 and can't unencrypt SD card!

aczmiele

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello everybody! I am new here. Through my desperate searches I've found these forums and I'm hoping somebody can help me here. I bought a Galaxy Note 2 in march, and I loved the phone. I had a 64gb sd card which I encrypted through this first note 2. Last week, my phone fell out of my pocket as I was on my motorcycle and needless to say it was shattered beyond repair. The SD and sim card were still fine though so I removed those. I got a new Note 2 through insurance, and when I put the old SD card in, there was no prompt to ask me for my password (which I DO remember) as I always had it set up for unlocking the phone. I can view the unencrypted files from before just fine but there are many files that were encrypted that are not visible to me now. I was wondering if there was a way to unencrypt using the new phone. If I just encrypted the device again using my old same password would this work? What can I do?

TL;DR- I got a new phone, same model. Can't access my encrypted files on the SD card. I know my old password, but there is no password prompt.

Please help, I have to return the old device within 3 days! Thanks!

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Read this
Encrypt Files on Your SD Card Using Your Android Phone - Howik

Unfortunately, it is virtually impossible to access or decrypt the files on your SD card without the right password. Android's encryption algorithm is basically based on two major factors - the mobile device and the password. Lose any of these, and your encrypted SD card files will be inaccessible. You can only decrypt the SD card files by inserting the SD card on the mobile device that was used to encrypt it and by entering the correct password when the device is powered on.

Before you started to encrypt your SD card, the last sentence on the screen said "The SD card files encrypted on this device and only be used on this device." The short answer is that you cannot decrypt the SD without your original phone. Sorry.