SIM card needed for 4.3 update?

hokap

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Right now my note 2 is my backup device. That said, do I need to have it active on the AT&T network in order to get 4.3? I checked it for the update just now and got the no update available. Sort of bummed...

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Maybe not, since you must be on wifi to download it you could just not see it yet. If you still havent gotten it yet it most likely available to download under att galaxy note 2 section over at xda. Just download the file. Leave it in zip form I believe and then flash it with odin. I should not trigger the flash counter.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I guess I should of clarified, you need an AT&T sim in the phone in order to download the update via OTA.

No you were correct they way you previous said it. When you do an update check in settings the phone is connecting through cellular service to check for the update. At this point the user is greeted with you must be connected to wifi in order to download the 698megabyte file

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

hokap

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks gang. I should've clarified. I don't have a sim in right now as it's my backup and I don't use it over cellular/mobile. I'm strictly using it over wifi when I use it. So, I'm thinking I have to add the sim and activate it in order to update it. A bit of a hassle, but sounds like the update is worth it.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
So do you have a sim card that fits? If so you only need to move it from your current phone to the note 2. Take the update then move the card back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just borrow one from a friend or relative who has AT&T phone with micro sim card. Invite him/her over for dinner or a cup of coffee at Starbucks with WiFi... :p