Audio issues when using headphone jack.

MaydayDown

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Audio Connection issue when when playing through audiojack, but is not directly the jack

Furthermore, to remedy the issue I replaced the audiojack unit and the problem persists

- The problem is intermittent
- If the audio distorts, I can simply twist the top right of the device and it reverses the issue for a random period of time, thus I realize this is a form of connection issue.
- Again, I replaced the audio jack unit and the problem persists.
- With my eye, no microscope/lens I do not see any bent pins on the MB connecting the audio unit.

Sot he questions is:
- From Experience, or known issue what else can I look at to potentially remedy the issue?

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok. So the audio in all situations works correctly in all situations except when playing audio from the audio jack. It'll play fine anywhere from 30 seconds to weeks on end. It all depends on whether I move the phone in the right position or not.
The rest of the post is irrelevant - this is enough data to diagnose the problem. One or more of the solder connections on the jack (or if it's connected to the motherboard by cable, on the cable) or something on the jack itself (there's a switch and a few contacts) isn't making good contact until you move the jack.

It's the same thing as the phone not charging unless the cable is in exactly the right position (except that it's not dangerous, as the charging port problem is).

MaydayDown

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
It obviously isn't irrelevant as you made no progress to my question. Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but based on the information in the "irrelevant" portion of my post we can make the assumption it's a connection issue, via pinout, cold solder, etc.

This much I know. What I need to know is whether or not, based on experience, there is more information I can collect to narrow down the cause. Since I already replaced the audio jack set, and I do not see any bent pins with my naked eye I see no other issue. I would hate to order a new MB to find out it was a "simple" test/fix to look at something I wasn't aware of that could correct the issue.

P.s. didn't mention this before but when I replaced the USB jack I didn't not connect any of the upper connections to remove the USB card.

MaydayDown

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Ok for the people who are actually going to read the ENTIRE post and NOT jump to conclusions please feel free to jump in with your ideas.

I'll fix the top of the page to make it more clear that I replaced the audio jack unit and the problem still exists.

MaydayDown

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Ok, took the phone apart again today, was able to replicate the issue by pressing on a specific chip just left of the MicroSD port (the smaller chip not the larger) If I pressed on the right side nothing changed.

If I pressed on the left side of the board I could duplicate the static something, but pressing on the specific chip ever so lightly caused the issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams