Got an email from AT&T - Note on backorder?

artaqaf

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
"Thank you for your recent purchase on the AT&T Premier Online Store. We are pleased that you chose AT&T as your wireless service provider.

Unfortunately, items in your order are out of stock and are backordered. We will ship them as soon as they are available, and notify you of the shipment by email. We will ship multiple backordered items when all items are in stock."

is this a normal email when pre-ordering a phone?

or do they simply not have enough in the USA to cover the orders?

xeroslash

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Just when I was maybe thinking about possibly considering the faint notion of somehow imagining myself trying to comprehend the slim chance of going to AT&T for this phone perhaps...

...THIS happens. Guess that solves my dilemma. :-\

rchap

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
"Thank you for your recent purchase on the AT&T Premier Online Store. We are pleased that you chose AT&T as your wireless service provider.

Unfortunately, items in your order are out of stock and are backordered. We will ship them as soon as they are available, and notify you of the shipment by email. We will ship multiple backordered items when all items are in stock."

is this a normal email when pre-ordering a phone?

or do they simply not have enough in the USA to cover the orders?

What day did you pre-order?

Professor777

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I almost went to AT&T. Thank God I called Best Buy first. I was informed that I could get $50.00 off with their gift card offer. So I did of course. Mine is scheduled to come in on the 13th. Hallelujah.

See the forum thread on this gift card thing.

dataquest#IM

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I also got this email today. I ordered at 12:15 am, which was about 15 minutes after they went available to pre-order. I am thinking that this is normal. I don't think that they should have sent this email out though, knowing that this would confuse the people that pre-ordered it.

Professor777

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
As for the ATT email, I find it hard to believe they ran out already if you ordered on line because it will come from a large warehouse. If you ordered at a store, stores do get allotments, and you could expect delays. But who knows if the e-mail is correct or not? I'm sure their sales people DON"T. They are afraid to promise that they were born of a woman.

For anyone ordering from ATT, I would recommend you order online for that reason. If you are squeemish that they may screw up your contract, go to Best Buy. They handle contracts better than the ATT stores. I checked because I do not want to mess up being grandfathered in on my unlimited data plan.

@ lucidlyseen
No they do not have to wait for the official release date which is the 19th. The pre-order statement says units will be received by the 17th.
When I talked with the Best Buy rep, they said it would be in on the 19th. That was all they were allowed to promise. It will arrive at the store and I am to pick it up within 72 hours. However, the printout of the receipt the woman gave me when we finished pre-ordering at Best Buy says:
"expected date: 02/13/12"
I ordered on Monday afternoon and only one other person ordered before me at that store, although others were in to talk about it.

I am anxious, I already read most of the manual from on-line, so I hope its the 13th. You can come to my house and play with it if you want, I live in Florida!

Last edited:

SteveIowa

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to get one as a gift, and pay full retail. I am told this is not possible during this pre-order stage. On top of that, I spent over 22 minutes on the phone with Corp, and over 15 on the phone with a local store to get the full price. No one has a retail price yet! They said to call back in about 10 days. I say Wow, and Thank goodness AT&T is not my Carrier. (as I wait for a CDMA/LTE Version to come on the scene) :)

tmotytn

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I ordered mine at 12:08am on the 5th, on the ATT website...paid full retail $650+tax as I didn't have an upgrade available ... called to confirm twice on Monday to be sure the order went thru...someone there was able to confirm they saw the order, but that it was in backorder status. Today (Tuesday), I got the email from Premier telling me it was on backorder...

I think it is just the system's way of letting us know that the order will be shipped when the inventory is available...I highly doubt that they ran out of stock within the first few minutes of availability...

artaqaf

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
from what i have read on other forums, that email IS a normal thing, since they do not have them in stock yet.

probably nothing to worry about.

as far as ordering your Note in an AT&T store, i have yet to read that anyone has been able to do that.

myself, i drove around for 75 minutes on Sunday afternoon, to 2 different AT&T stores....all for nothing. neither store had the Note in their "system" yet...

if you order online and want to keep your grandfathered-in unlimited data, MAKE SURE that when you receive the Note, you call AT&T and let them activate the phone and tell them you want to keep your unlimited data. this is what AT&T Premier support told me to do. do NOT activate the phone yourself. this way you know you will keep the unlimi data and it does not "mysteriously" disappear...

tbran

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I ordered mine at 12:08am on the 5th, on the ATT website...paid full retail $650+tax as I didn't have an upgrade available ... called to confirm twice on Monday to be sure the order went thru...someone there was able to confirm they saw the order, but that it was in backorder status. Today (Tuesday), I got the email from Premier telling me it was on backorder...

I think it is just the system's way of letting us know that the order will be shipped when the inventory is available...I highly doubt that they ran out of stock within the first few minutes of availability...

What does the ATT order status page say? https://forums.androidcentral.com/...s%26source%3DIAWS00Z290000000u&token=9Fe7ua8g I ordered at about the same time as you did and I only got a order confirmation email that says the order is being processed and sent to the warehouse for shipment. The online order status page says "In Progress" and in the tracking column "Pending Shipment". The email wouldn't worry me since the preorder system was not fully up to speed when we ordered. But the order status page should not say backordered imo!

Sent from Samsung Galaxy II SR via Tapatalk

tmotytn

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
What does the ATT order status page say? https://forums.androidcentral.com/...s%26source%3DIAWS00Z290000000u&token=G-SKWt8f I ordered at about the same time as you did and I only got a order confirmation email that says the order is being processed and sent to the warehouse for shipment. The online order status page says "In Progress" and in the tracking column "Pending Shipment". The email wouldn't worry me since the preorder system was not fully up to speed when we ordered. But the order status page should not say backordered imo!

well, I hadnt been concerned until now...i hit the link and it shows processing, there is nothing in my tracking column at all...it does say backordered. But my order date shows to be 2/6 and Sunday was the 5th...I'm wondering is it the 6th because that is the next business day, or because my order bounced around for a full day?

tbran

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Sorry man....I didn't mean to bum you out! I just figure it would be better to give them a call early enough....And personally, I would be calling them... considering how early you ordered and it showing backordered.
My order date shows 2/6 also, so that part isn't an issue.

tbran

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I just thought of something. You bought yours outright for full price..right? This was after we had heard that none would be available initially for full-price purchase and only with a new 2yr contract. Did you get placed in the backorder status for that reason, I wonder?

Professor777

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
@ SteveIowa
Like I said, an ATT rep will not promise anything unless they are looking at it, and even then they will go check with a manager.

tmotytn

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I just thought of something. You bought yours outright for full price..right? This was after we had heard that none would be available initially for full-price purchase and only with a new 2yr contract. Did you get placed in the backorder status for that reason, I wonder?

Just got off the phone with Premier...the kid told me that he shows my order went thru at 1:24am--I reckon it may have taken me a few minutes to get the order thru since I was doing it on my phone, and he said that they go by eastern time, which makes my 12:24am the same.

He said that they are on "backorder" status because there is no inventory to fill the orders yet, which makes sense. The fact that I am paying full retail has no effect on the status of the order. According to him, they were expecting around 1200 units, and there are now 442 units backordered--I think he was talking about the warehouse closest to me, which would be in Ft Worth, because surely they would have been allocated more than 1200 for the whole country, right?

He also said that our units should ship out on the 17th, and that if whatever delivery service we are using (for me, it is FedEx) has weekend deliveries, we will have our phones on Saturday the 18th, otherwise it would be Monday, the 20th.

So, I feel a little better knowing that the backorder issue is actually a non-issue, sucks that I will have to wait till after work on Monday to play with my new toy, but if that is the worst thing that ever happens, I reckon I'll live...

One last thing, though--ever notice how the people that speak with the most confidence are usually the ones that are always wrong/mistaken? Yeah, well this kid I spoke to pretty much talked like he was a tenured professor...so, do we really know anything that we didn't already? :confused:

tbran

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Just got off the phone with Premier...the kid told me that he shows my order went thru at 1:24am--I reckon it may have taken me a few minutes to get the order thru since I was doing it on my phone, and he said that they go by eastern time, which makes my 12:24am the same.

He said that they are on "backorder" status because there is no inventory to fill the orders yet, which makes sense. The fact that I am paying full retail has no effect on the status of the order. According to him, they were expecting around 1200 units, and there are now 442 units backordered--I think he was talking about the warehouse closest to me, which would be in Ft Worth, because surely they would have been allocated more than 1200 for the whole country, right?

He also said that our units should ship out on the 17th, and that if whatever delivery service we are using (for me, it is FedEx) has weekend deliveries, we will have our phones on Saturday the 18th, otherwise it would be Monday, the 20th.

So, I feel a little better knowing that the backorder issue is actually a non-issue, sucks that I will have to wait till after work on Monday to play with my new toy, but if that is the worst thing that ever happens, I reckon I'll live...

One last thing, though--ever notice how the people that speak with the most confidence are usually the ones that are always wrong/mistaken? Yeah, well this kid I spoke to pretty much talked like he was a tenured professor...so, do we really know anything that we didn't already? :confused:
Thats cool! I am glad its all good!

RRackman

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
from what i have read on other forums, that email IS a normal thing, since they do not have them in stock yet.

probably nothing to worry about.

as far as ordering your Note in an AT&T store, i have yet to read that anyone has been able to do that.

myself, i drove around for 75 minutes on Sunday afternoon, to 2 different AT&T stores....all for nothing. neither store had the Note in their "system" yet...

if you order online and want to keep your grandfathered-in unlimited data, MAKE SURE that when you receive the Note, you call AT&T and let them activate the phone and tell them you want to keep your unlimited data. this is what AT&T Premier support told me to do. do NOT activate the phone yourself. this way you know you will keep the unlimi data and it does not "mysteriously" disappear...

I ordered mine in a AT&T corporate store, the salesperson was only able to preorder the ceramic white version, he said there was no option for him to order the blue version (Really?). I believe he did not have the option, but why would some corporate dumbass do that to the order process?

Waiting for mine to hit on the 17th, I went to the store for the same reason someone else said they didn't, I don't want to lose my grandfathered unlimited data ;)