simple questions re: files, Polaris, and tablet apps

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I've searched on here, google, etc. and in trying to find answers, I've found more questions. (although I have to say this forum is the greatest place to learn with a wealth of information.) I'm still working my way through the getting started section but hoping someone can help with a few little things.
I figured out how to save a picture from the net, I can edit it, rename it, copy it. But I haven't a clue how to paste it except into a document. When I've renamed it, re-saved it, it just disappears. Where the frell does it go??? I created a folder but can't find a paste option. (I'll spare you how long it took me to figure out how to save the image! lol)
I like Polaris office for reading manuals, yes I really do RTFM, but I can't figure out how to jump pages. I've tried tapping, tap and hold, the box that shows the page number i.e. 64/225 but it doesn't let me change the numbers. Am I missing something? Polaris doesn't have a help file and the company doesn't have a manual to download.
And that brings me to the question that drove the frustration level up, if I try to replace Polaris, I don't know quite what to look for. Everything I saw in searching for help with Polaris said it was a tablet app. Can the note use tablet apps??? Is that what I should look for to replace Polaris???
Thanks for any help, the learning curve just got a bit steep during the last few days.

EpicRavensFan

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Can't answer all the questions but for reading manuals I usually use ez-pdf reader. But of course that only works if your files are in PDF format. As far as pasting pics the only place that I know that you can actually paste them is in the s-memo app. I may be wrong about this though. But all of the pics that i save usually get copied to a folder called downloads in the gallery app. Hope this might help a little. Good luck and enjoy your Note. H

Reactions: J HighNote

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I looked for and found the gallery download folder as you suggested and the images are there that I downloaded but not the ones I renamed, edited and saved. I will check out the pdf reader you mentioned. I saved the note's manual to the note thinking it would be handy but only polaris and not the kindle app would let me zoom and reflow so the double column format becomes easy to read. I do love my note, but over the weekend the frustration level was threatening to overtake the delight in the exploration! Thanks for your help.

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
When I edit a photo, it goes into /sdcard/PhotoEditor do you have this folder?

No, at least I don't think so. When I've gone to my card directory so to speak, it's empty. I vaguely remember reading something about settings, and usb connections, but I've ignored them and concentrated on other things. Do I need to set up some kind of path so that saved files have a place to go? Why can't I save files and tell them where to go? I have to laugh, many moons ago I was the last computer user I knew who finally relented, let go of DOS just a little and installed windows only because I really wanted multi task capability and I hated the mouse. Now I'd love an app that was the equivalent of a right mouse click, OR... C: something or other *.* for that matter. Oh, I feel like an antique. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the sd card. I'll check that out. I bet I missed doing something with the setting for it.

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
You are right Polaris is a pain. Paging by dragging the page up/down takes forever. I installed Adobe Reader because Adobe invented pdf and postscript.

The Gallery app finds the pix somehow and shows the location.

I googled the for the Samsung Galaxy Note manual and the download went to /external_sd/download There is half a page on Polaris in the pdf.

Reactions: J HighNote

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
When I edit a photo, it goes into /sdcard/PhotoEditor do you have this folder?

You were right on target! I went to my files under applications, saw external sd from there, then download directory, & there they were! I really need to figure out the file management. Thanks so much!!

Sent by a Galaxy Note - a phone & so much more w/Tapatalk

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You are right Polaris is a pain. Paging by dragging the page up/down takes forever. I installed Adobe Reader because Adobe invented pdf and postscript.

The Gallery app finds the pix somehow and shows the location.

I googled the for the Samsung Galaxy Note manual and the download went to /external_sd/download There is half a page on Polaris in the pdf.

I found an app called quickoffice that looks super. It has a phone version and a tablet one. I'm not sure which to buy. It looks like it can do all sorts of things including reflow columns in pdf files. I never thought to look for polaris in the note manual. I looked up the software site and there was zilch. I appreciate the tip on adobe's app. I will get that tomorrow. Thanks very much for the help, I feel more like I'm exploring again rather than climbing hurdles.

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You should be ok getting the tablet version. I went to install swiftkey x and it told me that I needed the tablet version.

I tried for the tablet version of QuickOffice but it said it wasn't compatible so I went for the phone version. It kept locking up and closing. I googled the problem in case it was me but it seems to occur quite often. I sent an email to QuickOffice last night and am now using the Adobe Reader but I plan to keep looking for an Office compatible package. Thanks for letting me know that tablet versions may work for other software. I'll check out the tablet versions for any new software I try out. Thanks.

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Just a note to update the QuickOffice operations because I had said it didn't work. I had emailed them and was told to reboot the Note and try again. That fixed the problems. QuickOffice seems to be very compatible with all the Microsoft Office docs and pdf files I've tried with it. If someone needs a package to be able to use Office Suite files, QuickOffice should be considered and don't forget to download the manual because it seems to be a pretty powerful program with lots to explore.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad