can not connect to my wireless router

jeeves744

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I just got my note yesterday and today I am trying to get the wifi to connect with my wireless network. I enter in my password and it tries to connect and say its trying to obtain an IP address from the router, but it never does and just disconnects. My other phone connects without any problem, so I dont think its a router issue. Anyone else have this problem?

Loren

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Do you need to add your new phone MAC address to the router table? (if you turned that function on)

jeeves744

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I dont think so. Never had to do that with my old phone.

I will have to go somewhere with free wifi and see if I can connect to it there so I can narrow it down between a problem with my phone or a problem with my router.

jeeves744

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
looks like I will be taking it back. Went to the mall and they have free wifi, and my phone won't connect there either. Keeps getting stuck on the "obtaining IP address". So tomorrow I will go to AT&T and see if they can fix it, or give me a new one since its just a couple days old.

panapower

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
i have this issue but ONLY at work. i even put in the right security credentials and nothing. i know its the phone cause my old POS backflip would connect to it with no problem. I seem to think that it might be the phone but it connects to other networks it finds so i'm not sure if its the phone or the network.

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Does the network you are connecting to have spaces or special characters in the ssid.? The reason I ask is I had this problem with my skyrocket when connecting to networks as described above.

ejamison22

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue with my skyrocket. But only on some wifi areas. And only some of the time. One day it will work there, one day it wont. Never had a problem with my iPhone 3g or 4. Weird for sure. Would love to know what it is!

jeeves744

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Little update. Still won't connect to my home network, it also wont connect to the free wifi at the local mall. I went to AT&T and they said to call tech support and see if they can do anything, if not they will give me a new phone. Wasn't home all day, so didn't have a chance to call. I did go meet my friend at school, and my phone had no problem connecting to their network. So I have no clue. Tomorrow I will call at&t tech support and see what they say and if they cant fix ti I will get a new phone.

pcfred

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Is the router broadcasting? If not turn broadcasting on and try and connect. Also is the wireless signal good or so-so? That could cause it to never get an IP.
Lastly, going to your ATT store and them telling you to call tech support is BS on their part, THEY should have gotten on the line with their tech support for you.

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Did you try "wi-fi analyzer"? It will tell you if the signal is weak or if you are sharing a crowded channel with your neighbors. It rates the channels so you can pick the best channel.

jeeves744

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
If your router is set to WPA2 Personal. set phone to use WPA Personal. This worked for me.

How do I change that on my phone? I couldn't find it anywhere

Is the router broadcasting? If not turn broadcasting on and try and connect. Also is the wireless signal good or so-so? That could cause it to never get an IP.
Lastly, going to your ATT store and them telling you to call tech support is BS on their part, THEY should have gotten on the line with their tech support for you.

My wifi seems to be fine. My old samsung captivate connects with no problem at all. I am within 10ft of my router with nothing blocking it. It shows full strength signal.
The AT&T store I agree with you, and would have been pissed but he did also say their instore wifi had taking a crap on them and isn't back up and running. So I could see how it could be kind of hard to call tech support to look at a wifi problem when there isnt any wifi to connect to.

Did you try "wi-fi analyzer"? It will tell you if the signal is weak or if you are sharing a crowded channel with your neighbors. It rates the channels so you can pick the best channel.

Yes I tried it. It shows my wifi signal way stronger then anything around me. I even changed the channel to try and get something better, but it still wont connect.

I was able to get it to connect to the free wifi at mcdonalds and at starbucks today. Both took 2-3 attempts for it to actually connect. So I dont know if my phone just has a crappy wifi receiver or what.

jeeves744

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok last update. While I was out and about today I kept trying to connect to any wireless network I could find, and it started working without a problem, except for my home wifi. So I decided to go buy a new router and see if that fixed the problem, and sure enough it did. My phone really was having problems connecting to wifi itself, but I guess with my old router it just couldn't connect. So got a nice new one and its connecting right away. So if anyone else is having wifi problems at home and you got an older router, it may be time to get a new one.

Thanks to everyone who was giving me ideas and help.

Cherwill

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I had this same problem with our DLink router. The Netgear one works fine. DLink won't answer my questions, so I won't buy DLink ever again. You also might want to go onto the Samsung website. Those angels are so patient! They walked me through getting my pc and note to sync. Even told me how to do a soft restart. (I had forgotten that it is what they call it.) I used livechat. Amazing service.

maVer1K

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Setting router to multicast is one option as this blog advices:
Getting the Apple iPhone Remote App Working With a ZyXEL Router | Gothick.org.uk

I have a samsung note 800 (called samsung note 10.1 in india). It usually doesn't connect to my home wi-fi network. I have a P-660R-T1 modem and a Beetel 450BXI adsl2 router, both of which work fine with laptops. When I set multicast option to IGMP3 my note got connected to internet but next day again it didnt work :mad:
It gets connected to wi-fi router, obtains an ip address (which I can also see in ip pool through 192.168.1.1) but for some reason cannot access internet. Its driving me crazy. If someone knows why please let me know!

Lucyenka

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot!!!!!! My ssid had an apostrophe in it and once I got rid of it it works fine and my android tablet connects no problem!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol