ATT Samsung Galaxy Note with S-pen (Pen question)

enduser2941

May 8, 2011
www.rsfsquad.org
Hey all I have a question. I hope someone can help here.

I just got the ATT Galaxy note with the S-Pen and I am having what I believe may be an odd issue as I have not seen any problems documented.

Basically regardless of what app I am in, the S-Pen begins writing on the screen when the pen is about 1-2 inches away from the screen. Where this becomes overly annoying is if I use the stylus as a stylus and tap away at the letters on the virtual keyboard, the letters and letters surrounding the intended letters all start displaying.. So for example, if I were to attempt to tap out the word "galaxy" what would actually display on the screen would be something like "ggfvbtgrbaaqsazswalmklliolm" well I think you get the idea. Also when you try to draw something, the drawings will begin with the pen hovering 1-2in above the screen.

Has anyone seen this? Does anyone know anyway of fixing this? I have attempted to calibrate the s-pen using the test s-pen app. On the phone dialer '*#0*#0 and select the s-pen test, yet the problem persists.

I would really love it if someone can offer any advise. It could make the difference between keeping the note which I love, or returning it back to ATT.

One note that I do not know how relevant, this is but the Galaxy Note is still on the Gingerbread v2.3.6. According to Samsung website, the note IS slated for Ice cream sandwich v4.x but no release date has been set.

Again I would really appreciate any help I can get on this and maybe this post will help someone else who may have this problem.

Thanks!!!

enduser2941

May 8, 2011
www.rsfsquad.org
Return your Note or at least call customer support. This is absolutely not the way it should work.

Thanks for the reply... I happened across another thread in a different forum where a bunch of people seem to be having the same issue. The problem appears to be with the pen according to them as it wasn't happening to them once they got a new pen.

I am somewhat skeptical of this though as the pen works off the magnetic field between the pen and the note and there is nothing really inside the pen other then a switch for the button and a coil of copper wire which interacts with the magnetic field. But we shall see.

Thanks again.

mmohn01

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Happens to me at Walmart all the time. You can sign the credit card screen from like 6 inches away. It has to be the pen.

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I am somewhat skeptical of this though as the pen works off the magnetic field between the pen and the note and there is nothing really inside the pen other then a switch for the button and a coil of copper wire which interacts with the magnetic field. But we shall see.

Thanks again.
Some people claim the pressure sensor in the tip is bad because the tip is stuck. They say they can fix it by pulling the tip out. I have never had the problem so I can't verify this.

pappyfire

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
There's been several threads on this, if I remember right, it's the speaker magnet getting into the electronics of the pen and can be fixed by putting a small piece of aluminum tape just below the button on the pen, you should probably do a search and read the exact procedure to get the tape size and position, etc
Mine does it if I use a naked pen but have no issue at all when the pen is in the pen holder you can get from Samsung, the holder must provide some shielding.

I found the link, there's a good photo of where to put the tape on page 3.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1517411

Last edited:

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
You know what's funny to me?

If you listen to lot of people they earlier claimed they had no use for the pen, now all of sudden this one issue is a BIG deal, and you'd think it's the only part of the Note they use? Strange? :confused:

Reactions: ScandaLeX

enduser2941

May 8, 2011
www.rsfsquad.org
Well I found a way to fix this issue, however it does cost some $$
It would figure the pen that came with the galaxy would be the problem so Samsung came out with a real pen like stylus which holds the stock spen and feels like just like a real pen and comes with a second stylus. The nice things that is really does stop this annoying ghost writing. The down side is the need pen costs $50. It does fix the problem for me any. Maybe this will help others with this problem? This new pen/stylus was worth it for me to spend it.

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
You might want to try an experiment. In S Memo try drawing medium width lines with different pressures on the two pens to see if the pressure sensor is stuck on the bad pen. There is a video for fixing the tip of a pen, but I can't remember where I saw it.

Reactions: enduser2941

enduser2941

May 8, 2011
www.rsfsquad.org
Actually the funny thing is that this was one of the first things I tried and the pen was showing different width lines the harder or softer I pressed and it didn't see any problems there. I have been seeing this in other forums too and some suggested putting a piece of aluminum tape around the bottom of the pen which I didnt try mainly because I dont want any tape on this. A have also read in many other forums that this new pen style stylus. To my surprise it came with a second regular stylus as well. It's a good by for me anyway as my hands are a little big for the little stylus so having the large pen size holder while its WAY over priced was a good purchase for me.

enduser2941

May 8, 2011
www.rsfsquad.org
You know what's funny to me?

If you listen to lot of people they earlier claimed they had no use for the pen, now all of sudden this one issue is a BIG deal, and you'd think it's the only part of the Note they use? Strange? :confused:

I am not sure who you are referring this too, I for one was brought up using a PDA so since I could's afford a new netbook and I needed a new phone, this one having the stylus was right in line for me. I mean I could live with out it, but since I bought it I there for expect it to work properly. This was the only phone it made sense to have a stylus for as its not large enough to be completely touch yet big enough to use the stylus. I was certainly never in the class of people who felt they had no use for pen :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm