Gnote II October? Where's ICS on original Gnote?

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm really hoping that someone from Mobile Nations picks this story up to find why this update is such a miserable fail. Any who, here is an article that covers the mess that is:
AT&T Galaxy Note Ice Cream Sandwich Release Date Still Unknown
Again, I do not put the blame solely on AT&T, Samsung has to take some of the blame, as does Google; all which stand to lose customers over this.

Actually, I put it all on At&t.

Google did their part in developing the OS. Samsung did their part in delivering the OS to At&t with their Touchwiz, and Premium Suite overlays. Now, At&t has to do their part and test the OS on their network and push the update to their customers. I have no idea what they are waiting on, but as another poster rightly stated, the ICS upgrade has already been spotted functioning on the At&t Galaxy Note at CTIA in New Orleans.

Rightly so, the carriers need to test these updates/upgrades on their network to ensure capability; everyone understands and appreciates that. However, IMO, the carriers (this includes all of them) take way too long in their testing phases. In the meantime, those waiting on an upgrade/update blame the OEM or Google, when the bottleneck is usually the carrier's reluctance to push the upgrade/update probably from fear it will hurt future sales.

Personally, I like the Note just the way it is. If it ever sees ICS I'll be happy, but if not I'm fine with that too. I didn't buy because of ICS, but my opinion has changed a little and I can appreciate the frustration many have with what seems like an unreasonable delay.

The link of ICS running on the At&t Note at CTIA is below.

http://www.androidcentral.com/ice-cream-sandwich-att-samsung-galaxy-note-ctia

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Hello, new user on the forum.

I agree coming from motorola and Verizon. The carriers are sad when it comes to upgrades(and the crazy thing is that with all of their "testing", most if the time from past experiences, they still don't get it right), and I read an article suggesting that Google should, but of course will not step in.

I actuallydid purchase my note with the thought of the promise of ice cream sandwich in mind. If they advertise it(and it is all over the place) release it to parts of theworld, and show it in public that long ago, it should(mind you, the main word, should) be available. Given, this thing is head and shoulders above the nightmare bionic I just came from, but I actually had a One X for a few days and wanted the larger screen and stylus.

But that phone is butter, no doubt about that. And I believe that this one could and should be also. The end of the month is two days away, so at that point I will have to make a decision (especially with the notice if the note 2 and alsothe strange thing I learned after purchase, that this thing doesn't have a notification LED) on whether to keep it or go to HTC. But I like the note for what it does well, so I really don't want to switch it out.

That is just like this jelly bean, gummy bear stuff.. Why should I get excited about it when it is going to be another year before the masses get it, if at all. But only time will tell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
You know,I had the same joking idea. I thought about it last night as I was writing that. But, lol, for any of the carriers, that would be too much to ask and probably a year out two too soon on their time table. It'll be marinade as the os before a see jelly belly..:what::D:thumbup:

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
First, Q1, then Q2, then rumors of the next Android, Jelly Bean, when Google has not updated their latest and greatest devices with ICS. This is what is called a fragmented market and if Google and the hardware manufacturers, including providers, continue on this path and are unable to see what will happen here, they are truly lost in what the consumer will put up with. My prediction, no matter the greatness of the devices and the operating systems, if updates are untimely and scattered, so too, will be the users.

Only thing Google needs to update is the nexus line. Which now is only the GSM one. Google isn't in control of other manufacturers

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums

Moonbase0ne

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Wasn't it said that it would be released by the end of the 2nd QTR? I didn't really expect that it would, but I ma sure I read somewhere that Samsung said that's when it would be released.

Kinda sucks when a company says one thing and does another. But, that's the tech world for ya.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't it said that it would be released by the end of the 2nd QTR? I didn't really expect that it would, but I ma sure I read somewhere that Samsung said that's when it would be released.

Kinda sucks when a company says one thing and does another. But, that's the tech world for ya.

Remember to keep in mind that Samsung has released the upgrade nearly two months ago.

We are now waiting on At&t to do their part and finish ?testing" so it can be pushed out to the devices across their network.

The downside is that At&t is in no rush because they want to sell new devices and not worry about upgrading the old or current models.

We just have to wait until At&t does their thing; whatever, that thing is.

Galaxy Note! Phone. Tablet. Planner. Notepad. eReader. The only device I need!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Remember to keep in mind that Samsung has released the upgrade nearly two months ago.

We are now waiting on At&t to do their part and finish ?testing" so it can be pushed out to the devices across their network.

The downside is that At&t is in no rush because they want to sell new devices and not worry about upgrading the old or current models.

We just have to wait until At&t does their thing; whatever, that thing is.

Yes, but since my GNote is so stable now I would not want a rushed ICS build because if it is buggy it will take even longer to get updated...

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
@planoman: I agree. I'd rather have a stable gingerbread vs a buggy ice cream sandwich. :)

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
What? On Friday the 13th?

Sweet, what could go wrong on a day like that?
:'P

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: S-Doo-1965

dadymon

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Our lack of ICS is AT&T's fault. Samsung focused on the Note II has nothing to do with one another.

I totally agree, I have a blackberry bold 9900 on ATT, they have yet to release an official 7.1 update. I was able to install a leaked version that works fine. I have not taken the rom route with my note yet, I will strongly consider flashing a rom when jelly bean becomes available.