NOT Impressed by the Note 2...

sirheck

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
For some one who does not own the current Note, this would
be worth getting i think.

The 5.3 inch size of the Note 1 is perfect for me.
The Note 2,s 5.5 inch screen may be a little too much

Though i have the 4.65 inch Google Nexus and have played around
with a coworkers HTC 4.7 inch OneX, I find them too small any more.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
You guys are nuts if you don't think a quad core exynos processor with 2 gig of ram is not a huge upgrade over a crappy S3 powered snapdragon chip. GPU is not going to be even close ( its probably 4x's the power of the current S3 with the adreno 220 ). Even the S4 chip cannot perform the pop up video function smoothly.

The original Note is a laggy mess. If you were talking about the international dual core exynos version than I would say the upgrade is not as big.

You think your phone is smooth? Use a bone stock Note 2 ( if its anything like the GS3 ) and I'm sure you will be blown away by how smooth it is.

edit: I remember when the Galaxy S3 was first announced and everyone was "dissapointed" with the specs. Well when the phone finally came out, 9 out of 10 people who played with it was blown away by it. Even guys coming from the Exynos powered Galaxy S2 which in itself was a beast of a phone. This phone has even better specs than the GS3, and you guys are coming from a less impressive phone ( hardware wise )

Last edited:

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
You guys are nuts if you don't think a quad core exynos processor with 2 gig of ram is not a huge upgrade over a crappy S3 powered snapdragon chip. GPU is not going to be even close ( its probably 4x's the power of the current S3 with the adreno 220 ). Even the S4 chip cannot perform the pop up video function smoothly.

The original Note is a laggy mess. If you were talking about the international dual core exynos version than I would say the upgrade is not as big.

You think your phone is smooth? Use a bone stock Note 2 ( if its anything like the GS3 ) and I'm sure you will be blown away by how smooth it is.

edit: I remember when the Galaxy S3 was first announced and everyone was "dissapointed" with the specs. Well when the phone finally came out, 9 out of 10 people who played with it was blown away by it. Even guys coming from the Exynos powered Galaxy S2 which in itself was a beast of a phone. This phone has even better specs than the GS3, and you guys are coming from a less impressive phone ( hardware wise )

I agree with everything but the "laggy mess" part.

Sent from my Galaxy Note.

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
My thrill is opening the box of a new device that owns the latest tech and tweaking it to my preferences in every single category, uninstalling anything I don't use when possible of the carrier bloat, experimenting with the new stuff

Not thrilling to me is changing primary stuff such as rooting does. Although I used to consider rooting, I really don't have the time or desire to mess with that

!

???????????????????? HUH??????????????????

I am sorry Hummingbird but... Your statement is a contradiction unto itself Sir.. :)

I guess you are just not educated enough where Rooting & Roms are concerned.. ( No offense intended..)

Yes.. Warranty Goes "BYE-BYE" unless you know how to Un-Root with a recovery MD5 and not trip the counter.. but again.. You don't seem to be at that skill level ( Again no offense intended just stating the facts based on your chime in..)

By the very nature of your statement it's painfully clear that you want to Root but don't know how to do it in such a way that its safe and cloaked from your carrier should you need to return it for warranty work...

By your own words you are a tweaker.. but you are a beginning tweaker.. a "Fiddler" if you will.. NOT a Rooter...

The Note 2 should be a cool phone for you... I hope you enjoy opening your $299.00 new box! come Thanksgiving !

TWEAKER.png

Last edited:

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
:D:D
You guys are nuts

The original Note is a laggy mess. .

You think your phone is smooth? Use a bone stock Note 2 ( if its anything like the GS3 ) and I'm sure you will be blown away by how smooth it is

Easy s14.... Easy :)

Eh.... I am not speaking for the other *STOCK* Galaxy 1 owners here because I agree with you...

STOCK U.S. ( S3 ) Galaxy Note's were quite laggy out of the box.. :) ( No offense current Note owners here.. but truth be told.. they are..)

s14... I am speaking ONLY for MY Galaxy Note 1.

Which I think you can see from the pics I have posted with ALL my post in this thread, IS CERTAINLY NOT A STOCK GALAXY NOTE..

It's a Fire Breathing 1,830 mhz JellyBean 4.1.1 Running Hybrid Beast..

You are a "Stat Sheet" guy.. I am a "Real World UI" guy...

1st off .. I don't know where you live but I am in the U.S.

The U.S. *WILL NOT* get the Quad-Core 1,600 mhz chip in their G-Note 2's

But.. Just for shhhits & grins let's say they do ( Even though that would push the S3 out of it's "Samsung Flagship Phone Status )

It's still a 1,600 mhz A9 based chip right?
I am running a 1,830 mhz A9 based chip..... You do the Math.....:D

Do you have any idea how much BLOATWARE comes on a ROM?

Then the Carrier's add EVEN MORE of their Bloatware to the ROM!

Your Standard Factory Fresh New in the Box G-Note / Note 2 ROM will weigh in at around 575 Megs..

Do you know how much my Galaxy Note 1's Cyanogen Modded 4.1.1 Hybrid JellyBean ROM weighs in at? 150 megs.. :D

NO BLOAT... :) & ***ALL POWER***.

You Do The Math.

You miss the point..

Just because you go and buy a Brand New $40,000.00 Z-28 Camaro off the Showroom Floor and park it in your Driveway to showoff to the Neighbors.. Doesn't make you the fastest guy on the Block..

You See.. I am the guy down the street.. with his light always on in his garage.. working on my Standard $26,000.00 Camaro V8.. Stripping the backseat out.. Pulling the Spare Out..
Bolting on the lightweight Wheels I bought.. Pouring 110 Octane Boost in my fuel Tank.. and changing the rear end to give me more acceleration out of the hole...

Your's may be the latest and greatest Camaro.. but my "Last Years Model" will blow you away...

Again.. You do the Math. :D

COAT3.png

Last edited:

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
:D:D

Easy s14.... Easy :)

Eh.... I am not speaking for the other *STOCK* Galaxy 1 owners here because I agree with you...

STOCK U.S. ( S3 ) Galaxy Note's were quite laggy out of the box.. :) ( No offense current Note owners here.. but truth be told.. they are..)

s14... I am speaking ONLY for MY Galaxy Note 1.

Which I think you can see from the pics I have posted with ALL my post in this thread, IS CERTAINLY NOT A STOCK GALAXY NOTE..

It's a Fire Breathing 1,830 mhz JellyBean 4.1.1 Running Hybrid Beast..

You are a "Stat Sheet" guy.. I am a "Real World UI" guy...

1st off .. I don't know where you live but I am in the U.S.

The U.S. *WILL NOT* get the Quad-Core 1,600 mhz chip in their G-Note 2's

But.. Just for shhhits & grins let's say they do ( Even though that would push the S3 out of it's "Samsung Flagship Phone Status )

It's still a 1,600 mhz A9 based chip right?
I am running a 1,830 mhz A9 based chip..... You do the Math.....:D

Do you have any idea how much BLOATWARE comes on a ROM?

Then the Carrier's add EVEN MORE of their Bloatware to the ROM!

Your Standard Factory Fresh New in the Box G-Note / Note 2 ROM will weigh in at around 575 Megs..

Do you know how much my Galaxy Note 1's Cyanogen Modded 4.1.1 Hybrid JellyBean ROM weighs in at? 150 megs.. :D

NO BLOAT... :) & ***ALL POWER***.

You Do The Math.

You miss the point..

Just because you go and buy a Brand New $40,000.00 Z-28 Camaro off the Showroom Floor and park it in your Driveway to showoff to the Neighbors.. Doesn't make you the fastest guy on the Block..

You See.. I am the guy down the street.. with his light always on in his garage.. working on my Standard $26,000.00 Camaro V8.. Stripping the backseat out.. Pulling the Spare Out..
Bolting on the lightweight Wheels I bought.. Pouring 110 Octane Boost in my fuel Tank.. and changing the rear end to give me more acceleration out of the hole...

Your's may be the latest and greatest Camaro.. but my "Last Years Model" will blow you away...

Again.. You do the Math. :D

Click to view quoted image

Well we can only dream that the up coming Note 2 will have the quad core Exynos with LTE. If we end up getting a S4 powered Note 2, than the chipset is still a superior chip set. Your comparing a A9 vs a A15 chipset, and Adreno 220 vs Adreno 225 still.

You can run as lean and smooth as you want, but when it comes to pushing pixels and graphics, the S3 Snapdragon's GPU just doesn't cut it, but if the US does get the dual core S4, than the bump in specs are slightly less impressive compared to a quad core Exynos with LTE.

anon367353

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Are you Kidding Me?

Samsung... Really?

Our Note 1's have an * 800 by 1280 * SuperAmoled HD Screen.
The Note 2 has a * 720 by 1280 * SuperAmoled HD Screen ?

Does that phone LQQK like its in a smaller frame than our Note 1's to you ?

A big fat Home Buttoned S3 clone ?

I don't know about you but, I am running a Hybrid 4.1.1 JellyBean ROM now.. and having On Screen Buttons means 100% S-Pen Usage.. And NO MORE fingerprints..

I am sure most of you are aware.. but if you are not, our phones Digitizers already support "Hover Technology".. It's works like a charm for those of you with *ROOT ACCESS*.. Download TWRP 2.2.1.1 recovery if you don't already have it and you will see what I mean... works like a charm WITHOUT even having to touch the screen with your S-Pen.. Just Hover Baby!

And finally where is the 32nm 5250 Exynos Processor capable of running at 2,000 mhz? with it's 20% higher IPS cycle? for this Flagship Phone.. Instead of a bumped 1,400 to 1,600 mhz Quad.. ( Those of us with OC/UV Kernels can run stable at 1,830 mhz already. )

I am not impressed by the specs / looks of the Galaxy Note 2 :)

Are You ?

It is evident that you do know the stuffs. I wanted to counter a few points that you raised:

First, the display is obviously much better. Why? For the simple fact that it's NOT PenTile display. Yes, I know it doesn't use the "PLUS" moniker. But that's just a brand name. Look closely:

samsung-galaxy-note.jpg
samsung-galaxy-note-2.jpg

samsung-galaxy-note-letter.jpg
samsung-galaxy-note-2-letter.jpg

lDSh1.png

Note 2 is 4.25mm longer, but 2.5mm narrower and 0.3mm thinner. It's about 4.2% more screen surface area with 2% less body volume. Consider this with a battery 24% larger than previous version.

I don't want to go about "cloning" of home buttons. There are much more important things to look at.

99% of the people don't even know the difference between ROM and RAM and hardly anyone heard anything about kernel or root access. So, we may ignore all these techie-level stuffs. While designing the features, I think they don't bother much about guys like us.

As for Exynos 5250, I agree with you. I also wanted that, primarily for the GPU. I am interested in GPGPU compute. That thing clocks 72GFLOPS compared to like 16GFLOPS (correct?) in Exynos 4412, 32GFLOPS in new iPad. But I guess the decision was made by marketing team, and not engineers. Quad core sounds better for marketing material than dual core. I believe that Samsung will not launch any dual core A15 SoC. They will directly go to quad A15 like Exynos 5450 for marketing reasons. BTW, 5250 is clocked at 1.7GHz, not 2.0GHz as reported previously.

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Well we can only dream that the up coming Note 2 will have the quad core.

You can run as lean and smooth as you want, but when it comes to pushing pixels and graphics, the S3 Snapdragon's GPU just doesn't cut it, but if the US does get the dual core S4, than the bump in specs are slightly less impressive compared to a quad core Exynos with LTE.

Easy There s14... Easy... :D

Eh.. What Game / Program that is on the market today does ANY 1,000 mhz and above CPU coupled with ANY GPU have trouble pushing?

Tell ya what.... Shhh ( Don't tell anyone I am giving you the answer to this question.. )

The answer is: *NONE!*

Again... you are on the sidelines reading graphs and benchmarks.. That is what turns you on..

You have no "REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE" running the current Cyanogen Modded 4.1.1 PA Modified Overclocking Hybrid ROMs...

You have no idea how "Project Butter" runs on a Cyanogen ROM..

I DO..

And I am telling you its LIQUID SMOOTH... Unlike ANYTHING you have seen before..

Pushing Pixels is nothing for any Dual-Core 1,000 mhz CPU coupled with any old GPU to do.. It's the *UI Experience* that JellyBean brings that allows you to even *Underclock* a Galaxy Note if you so choose for batterylife AND STILL get the Kickass performance of Project Butter...

ROOT & ROM.. and get off the ICS Train if you do in fact own a Galaxy Note 1..

ICS is done.. As far as the Galaxy Note is concerned.

Quincyat&t is now the OFFICIAL JELLYBEAN 4.1.1 BUILD ( From Source ) for the Galaxy Note 1 by Cyanogen Mod..

It's Real.. and it's So Damn Fast you simply have to EXPERIENCE IT to Understand it..:D

But.. If your tweak / skill level is not developed enough to install and utilize it.. by all means wait for a Galaxy Note 2.. IF.. APPLE ALLOWS YOU TO BUY ONE THIS YEAR since it has just been targeted for injunction :)

BEAN.png

Last edited:

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
:D
It is evident that you do know the stuffs. I wanted to counter a few points that you raised:

First, the display is obviously much better. Why? For the simple fact that it's NOT PenTile display.

Note 2 is 4.25mm longer, but 2.5mm narrower and 0.3mm thinner. It's about 4.2% more screen surface area with 2% less body volume. Consider this with a battery 24% larger than previous version.

99% of the people don't even know the difference between ROM and RAM and hardly anyone heard anything about kernel or root access. So, we may ignore all these techie-level stuffs. While designing the features, I think they don't bother much about guys like us.

As for Exynos 5250, I agree with you. I also wanted that, primarily for the GPU. BTW, 5250 is clocked at 1.7GHz, not 2.0GHz as reported previously.

Hello RD !

1st let me say GREAT Reserch !.

Yes.. "True RGB vs PenTile" RGB wins.. but who is using the magnifing glass to look for pixels? The Galaxy Note and Galaxy S3 both have incredible Pentile screens.. The Note 2 would look slightly sharper if you were putting it under the scope.. but no one questions Samsung's current Screen Technology.. :)

Yes.. I agree with you about the level of "Technical Skill" most people have when it comes to customizing their phones... Live Wallpaper for them is a thrill :D

I am not sure now what you own.. but you obviously have the skill level to be running Cyanogen Tech.. have you ran CM9 or CM10 ? or used Hybrid Technology?

Yes.. I was hoping to see the 5250 CPU coupled with the T-604 GPU oh man..that would have been a nice setup to customize as well.. but it does not look like that combo is ready for Primetime like Samsung hinted it was...

I don't know RD.. A lot of these folks might take up arms if Crapple..eh Apple gets their way and forces an injunction on the release of the G-Note 2 without it being seriously modified before going into international waters... The U.S. may not see it now until sometime next year I am sad to say...

Apple is really taking control of the market...

Hey RD we agree on more than you think !

P.S.

Capable Ceiling on the 5250 should be at 2,000 mhz and 4 MIPS.. that's 15% better than the Exynos 1,400 Quad..

And do you know the G-Note 2 with a protective case on it will be over a Half a Foot Long!!!

That's just TOO BIG for me :D

EYES-1.png

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
[YT][/YT]I know how project butter runs. I've played with a Galaxy Nexus running AOKP, and there is a night and day difference, but it still lags esp when you enter the widget folder in the app drawer.

I also have CM10 on my Nexus 7 which has a tegra 3. That tab is smooth but its not smoother than my near stock S4 powered GS3 running synergy rom. Also the international GS3 is still more powerful than mine. Playing pop up video lags the hell out of my phone.

This how ridiculous the gpu on the quad core exynos is. They are playing a HD video while playing shadow gun with barely a hiccup. Mine lags just playing the video itself and swiping left to right.
[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8s_iq-QlvA[/YT]

lets see our phones do anything like this.

Last edited:

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I know how project butter runs. I've played with a Galaxy Nexus running AOKP

I also have CM10 on my Nexus 7 which has a tegra 3.

Glad to see you are in Sammy's corner :)

So.. I no longer have to explain the value of a $179.00 Note 1 Running Hybrid JellyBean Technolgy... Good. :)

Because there is NOTHING like having 5.3" of HD Screen and a telephone all in one that is as fast as hell.. and capable of adjusting EVERY APP's DPI /PX Individualy for that truly Personal Touch...

Too Bad you will not be able to pair your S3 up with its FAT TWIN BROTHER the Note 2..

Apple is having both of them Banned.

The Note 2 will never make it to U.S. Shores after Apple get the Court Injunction..

I guess you could get the Non-Warranty International Version for $800.00 bucks though! :D

DOWNFALL.jpg

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I've used several Note 1s in several AT&T stores and even after rebooting them or even factory resetting one and rebooting it they were pretty much unilaterally laggy. So, I got a Skyrocket instead. I think I'm gonna get a Galaxy Nexus this month, though and sell the SR :p That way I don't ever have to wait on updates. Don't have LTE here anyways, and don't feel the need to have it either. Only thing I'd have to worry about is the worse camera...

5.5" is too big for anything that I plan to use as a phone, even if rarely.

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I've used several Note 1s in several AT&T stores and even after rebooting them or even factory resetting one and rebooting it they were pretty much unilaterally laggy.

5.5" is too big for anything that I plan to use as a phone, even if rarely.

Hello n8ter.. I agree with you 100% on both counts.

Stock Galaxy Note's were... *Very Laggy* :-! ( No offense to current stock G-Note 1 owners but truth be told they are..) ;)

The 5.3" HD Screen is simply Beautiful to look at on the Galaxy Note..

And once you Root & Rom the phone it becomes an Overclocking BEAST :cool:

Stock ICS ( Touchwiz ) ROMS weigh in at 575 megs..

CyanogenMod 10 PA Based Hybrid 4.1.1 JellyBean Roms weigh in at 150 megs..

Project : *Butter* in JellyBean takes care of ALL the Lag you get with Stock ICS :D

Good Lord... The G-Note2 is over a Half a Foot Long WITHOUT your OtterBox Defender Case..

I agree n8ter.. the more I think about that, it really is just to big of a phone..

Better to just get a Nexus 7 at that point :cool:

Let's see if Apple even allows it to be released in it's current form based on Samsung's "Home Button Infringment" Theft..

The Judge may shut the GN2 and S3 Down this week pending Trial.

***Note 1 Forever Baby!***

COAT2.png

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Variety is the spice of life . . .

Your still dreaming of a Note 2 in your hands Huh Hummy?

Boy.. Do you have a long wait.

Apple will let you know when they release the "Lean" on the Note 2 :D

Not Respecting Apple's Patent on that Physical Home Button REALLY has The Santa Clara based Worldwide Headquarters of Apple and the Santa Clara based Courthouse down the street from Apple that is presiding over this case Pretty Pissed Off.. ( They kinda frown upon those things around these parts... One BILLION frowns+ so far.. and counting... )

It make take awhile... You hang in there now Ya Here! :D

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why ppl are complaining about the size of the note 2. It is pretty dam close to the same size of the note 1. U think a couple MM makes or breaks than there is something wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why ppl are complaining about the size of the note 2. It is pretty dam close to the same size of the note 1. U think a couple MM makes or breaks than there is something wrong.

Great Word in the English Lanuage..

*Limit*

We all have them.;)

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Great Word in the English Lanuage..

*Limit*

We all have them.;)

U have never even seen or held one so u are just speculating which everyone is doing but no reason to just downplay the phone like its a POS.seems like a few MM should not matter in such a powerful device. I'd take a few extra MM to have a better phone than to choose an outdated phone that was a few MM smaller.

Reactions: hummingbirdhill